Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been an ongoing 3-month saga to try and get the transmission working properly and consistently on my 1991 Trooper V6 Auto. See my other thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=57837&p=496041#p496041
Took it back yesterday yet again to the transmission mechanic and had him put in a new Neutral Safety Switch (what you guys sometimes call the Range Mode Switch). See my other thread for the reasoning of why I had it replaced.

There was some transmission oil on the outside of the old one - probably a small leak where the shifter goes into the transmission, but I don't know if that was the cause, since the intermittent not-shifting issue has been on-going since the transmission was first repaired (see attached photo).
I bought the part off Autozone:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... ety+Switch
But the transmission mechanic says he could have gotten it cheaper and I paid too much. Is that true? (I have no lift so couldn't take the old one out to recondition).

This has been a long stressful ordeal and I hope it's over. But it was 4 weeks before the problem showed up again last time. Even though the mechanic has honored the warranty (1 year), they've been very defensive about everything, and I had to use every bit of persistence and calm I could muster to get them to fix the starter loud noise issue they caused (they left out the shim), and they denied any connection to the engine light issue, which I couldn't prove they caused (because the connector was near the ECU, not the transmission), and various other little problems, such as a pulled-out spark plug wire, that I found when I first picked up the Trooper from them. I tried to get him to put in the RMS for free because of all the troubles I've had, but it's outside the transmission so he charged me $50 and didn't feel he was to blame for anything else (and blamed *me* for being upset when I picked up the car - well who wouldn't be? I'm only human). At this point I want to wash my hands of them and leave it all behind (and I'll look at Yelp reviews of businesses, what with their "filters", with a huge grain of salt from now on!).

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here's the insides of the old Range Mode Switch (Neutral Safety Switch) I took apart. Does it look grungy and worn enough to have caused the intermittent shifting problem?
(I've had a new one installed). I suppose we'll not really know for sure until more than a month has passed, since that's how long it was last time between incidents.

RangeModeSensor_3240_1985.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
This switch looks completely worn out as compared to others I have seen. However, it still could be working just fine. You could put it back together as is and test it with an ohm meter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could put it back together and test it with an ohmeter, but since the problem was so intermittent, I'm not sure what that would tell me.
Thanks for letting me know it looks worn out. That's reassuring. Also the fact that the transmission has been OK since putting the new one in. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I discovered today though that I couldn't get it into 4L (separate issue obviously - transfer case). 4H was OK. I'm not surprised since the mechanics were so flaky. Hopefully 4H will be enough though if I go to the desert.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - well the 4WD was OK - I just wasn't doing it right. Have to put it in neutral first.

Transmission has been fine as far as shifting since we replaced the Neutral Safety Switch.

The pan is still leaking, so I started a new thread about that:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60646

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you had cleaned the old switch and took some emory cloth and clean those contact surfaces good, it would have worked fine. mine looked worse than yours and a good bath, and polishing the contact surfaces, it's been working fine ever since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts