Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out replacing the alternator-you know that part.

Now when I try to start it, the starter selonoid (sp?) clicks a few times, then it will start. Why is this happening? What would this have to do with changing the alternator? We never had a starter problem until this.
Changed the battery too. Everything is fine there.

Click click start start Click click start start.

Anyone have a clue?

BTW Chase, RC and Randy I have added you to my yahoo messenger just trying to find you tonight. It is under thumpersbunnie.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Voltage is good. At 14. (I am guessing that number) It is where it should be. It takes 2 clicks then it starts. Can't drive it like that. We've even switched the batteries from the 95 just to make sure. You know everything is the same on them. HEY! Maybe I should take all the good parts from the 95 and put the problem parts from the 96 in it! Yeah! That is what I should do! (just kidding-sounds good though!) Just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Kenny talked to Jeff, (E ZOO ZOO) and I guess he gave him some ideas to look at. Kenny did say something about not liking the battery (?) hickymadoos (my word for it) and wanted to change them, but I don't know if that is the problem. I seriously doubt that. Wondering if it is the starter? And if it would be the starter-why?

(whine whine-I want MY zuzu back!) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: (sorry, starting to act like whiny little girl-but I want MINE back!)
----stomping feet-----

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
When Kenny and I talked last night on the phone, I informed him that my 1997 Rodeo is presently suffering from an almost identical problem…

(Only mine has moved on to Stage II of the condition: Lots of 'clicks', and very few 'starts')

…I've been having problems with it for WEEKS, and it has been parked for several days now, so believe me; I know how you feel. - I want mine back too!

The 'hickymadoos' in-question would be the Battery Terminals. --- Kenny and I both agreed that the originals ones are not very good (to put it mildly), and I told him that I had already replaced mine, ages ago.

If it weren't for the torrential rain that we are getting right now, I would be out in the driveway trying to fix mine - However, as it stands, with a Flood Watch in effect, Miss Kathy and I are just trying our best not to get Cabin Fever.

Hopefully the weather will break, and I can get out there tomorrow and actually get something done. --- I'll be sure to report any helpful starter-related findings!

In the meantime, say 'hello' to Kenny for me, and tell him that I wish him the best of luck with yours!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had the same thing happen- starter went bad as soon as the alternator did. And to ice the cake, my air compressor seized up. Could be coincidence on the starter, but probably, the problem is that the starters are very sensitive about what kinda power they are getting. Anything less than 12 volts is not good for them. I'm guessing when your alternator went bad, your battery got drained or low and you tried to start it= early demise of starter.

I've also heard that 90% of the time, when a starter goes bad its just the contacts inside, not the actual motor. If you can find a place to rebuild it for you, its like 20 bucks.

Mike
________
HEADSHOP

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK Still needing some help please.

Changed the terminal things. That is not it. It still does the "click" only now you know you start it and all the lights are on on the dash. That is normal. Only know you can see a little battery light and the "brake" light stays on, but real dim. Anyone tell us why or what to do?

Smiley-again thanks. Looks like there are two of us in a sh*t crick without a paddle. Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Sgt

I'm sort of betting that there are THREE lights that are glowing…

BATTERY (red)
BRAKE (red)
4X4 (green)

- If all three are glowing very brightly, it's a sure sign of a bad alternator.
- If they are glowing dimly, and the 4x4 light is barely even bright enough to see at all, then it sounds like you guys are in the same boat as me… and I'm still right in the middle of trying to figure out what's causing it to happen on mine.

When I talked to Kenny, I asked him if he had seen these lights glowing, and he said that he hadn't noticed them… Now I'm wondering if they were there all along, or if they only started glowing after he replaced the battery terminals.

Either way, the fact that you all are having the very same starter issues that I've been experiencing (although perhaps to a lesser degree of severity, for now), and now there's confirmation of the idiot lights glowing too… One thing is almost for certain: If one of us comes up with a solution, it will probably work for both of us.

The symptoms are virtually identical - Therefore, the cure probably will be too.

If the weather holds, I'm going to try today to install those 4-gauge positive wires that I told Kenny about…

Alternator to Battery -and- Battery to Starter

…I don't know if they will help, but it's sure worth a shot.

Wish me luck! - I'll be sure to let you know the results (good or bad).

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a reply for you Smiley on a new post.

Cellanoid (sp) in the starter (so far) picking it up soon. I will keep you posted!

The lights were dim AFTER he changed the terminals. He didn't notice if the 4 wd drive was on or not but the other two were. And they were dim.

Will keep you posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.