Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 Trooperw the gas engine that I am very fond of. My dad bought it in 87 and gave it to me on my 30th Birthday. I love the looks of it it. The paint is still in great shape (tan), the seats and doorpanels have all been recovered in comouflage. It looks good and has been very well maintained.

It has the original engine with welll over 400,000 miles, but I replaced the head about 4 years ago with a reman one. I think the head is leaking again, but I figure with that much mileage its time for a complete engine.

I am either going to sale my trooper or buy a long block to put in the vehicle. I live in upstate SC and was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to get a long block from that doesnt cost an arm and leg. I figure I will add about $500 to the long block price so I can replace the radiator, carb etc.... while im at it.

I just don't think I would be able to find a good reliable used motor for an 86.

Is there another motor that would be an easy swap?? Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Thanks Preston

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Reliable used moter would be a difficult thing to find I think. Really only two options that I know of, rebuild and replace or find a rebuilt from a engine rebuilder. You can also bolt in a 2.6 with a 2.3 head so you won't have to install a computer and fuel injection system. psguardian has quite a thread on doing just that. I had an 86 that I was fixing up but sold it to my brother about 4 years ago, he still drives it today.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Welcome to the Planet! Post up pics man, kinda partial to 86s myself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know what years the 2.6's are in that would work? I am assuming they would be in troopers pups, and amigos. Am I missing another make that one would be found in???

I have found a long black w shipping etc for $1400, and I figure if I did it myself and used my own time I would have at least 700 in the motor considering machine shop work etc.. I have rebuilt a few engines w good luck but never bought one. The reason I would buy one would be to save some time, and to get a warranty. Although I do not know how well places honor their warranties of 10 years 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I will try to post some pics tom night. When I lived in Spartanburg about 4 or 5 years ago I met a guy at a gas station who had a Trooper that looked just like mine except mine has tinted windows and a big antena on the back.

We talked his 86 had less than 100,000 miles on it and he had just gotten it detailed bc he was saleing it.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The 2.6 block is the same through many years. It is a reliable foundation. I think the only model you missed is the Pup. I spent over 2 grand on my last rebuild without a warrenty. Machine work was 500 bucks alone so you are doing well with the 1400 including shipping. I helped my son in law with a 3.0 for a Nissan this last winter. He got it through Rock Auto for a little over 1100 shipped. Works extemely well. If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead a get the 2.3 long block for that money. You will spend more if you rebuild it yourself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went outside and took a pic today. Sorry I used my crappy camera phone. I was debating washing it, but since I am still looking into my options I decided to be lazy.

I do not want to start a new thread, so I hope some people see this and chime in with some advice.

I spent about an hour or so diagnosing what may be the problem. I drained the oil and coolant and no signs of mixing in either. I pulled the plugs and they def need to be replaced as well as the wires. They have black deposits on them but all look uniform no one is miscolored etc.. I am unable to perform a compression test at my house and while I can drive it I do not want to drive it 30 minutes to my dads house.

I checked the timing belt it is fine it did not slip. Doubted that was the culprit anyway.

I am assuming I have some kind of internal leak in my head gasket, because it will start and run fine for @ 5 minutes but then it idles irradically and spits and sputters. If it was the plugs and wires it would run like crap from start up correct??

As always any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Nice looking truck! I would look closely for a vacume leak before you assume that it a head gasket. If it is blown then it usually runs poorly from startup. By warming up before acting up then, it could be parts are expanding and then the leak happens. Go around the intake, base of the carb with some wd-40 or something like that, check the little hoses for cracking, as it is not computerized I don't think it would be a sensor. Start there and hopefully you will find something. When you get over to your Dads go ahead and do a compression test. Or go buy one at Autozone or someplace, they are not expensive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly I initially thought it was a carb problem. This is the original carb. I replaced the head myself last time @ 4.-5 years ago with a reman head and had the block checked at a machine shop.

OKay back to the carb what made me think it wasn't the carb was bc I could run the mixture screws in and out and it changed nothing. This may be stupidity on my part. I assumed if it was the carb then adjusting those screws would give me some sort of a clue. I have never fooled with rebuilding a carb and I would assume that going with an aftermarket set up would be better anyway.

I am in SC no emission testing!!!!!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Yeah a carb is a grey area to me also. I am not so inclined to point to the carb but the gaskets at the base. I have been told that those are extremely good carbs. I am also thinking the intake manifold to head gasket could be leaking. If you did a head on this engine previously then I am glad you know your way around the engine anyway. You could send a PM to Jerry and quiz him. He is an expert on this forum JLEMMOND is who you want to PM. My daughter and her husband are moving to S Carolina this fall. He is in the Air Force and leaving Tucson in August. They are looking forward to the area!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I am assuming they will be in Sumter??? It is close to the beach and swan lake is nice there, but upstate SC in my opinion is the best part of the state. I also have to say Charleston is very nice. When you come visit them be sure to spend a few days in Charleston you should enjoy it. A lot of history to be seen there.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I believe they said Charleston. Good luck on the Trooper!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Before spending 1400!! On engine, do the basics man.. on my 86 I had a similar issue, turned out the butterfly valve on top of that 2 barrel carb was slightly warped, causing it to catch time to time when warmed up.. a little bit of shaving with a dremel fixed that with no $$ spent.. great looking truck btw :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply Digital Drifter. I fooled with the carb for about 10 minutes, and know that rebuilding it wouldn't hurt.

I have the trooper up for sale but I don't know if I really want to sale it. It has never left me stranded eventhough I had to limp back a few times. Also there is really noting else I like that is practical and looks good. I like the Discovery II's appearance but I don't want a V-8 and power windows etc.... plus they are junk.

About the only other vehicle I like is the X-Terra and Nissan frontier.

If I keep it, I am going to make it a reliable driver. Something that I could drive to Florida and back in. I think it looks decent now after a wash and some bigger tires wouldn't hurt. So I would focus on the drivetrain.

I currently work at a boys home and have to spend the nights at the home so I dont get much free time, however if I get a teaching position this month it would really free up some time for me. Fingers crossed, I got a decent shot at 1 I think.

This is a good forum. People are a lot nicer than on the phone forum I use.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
What phone forum do you haunt? I do tech support for Sprint :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Howards Forum, but I use a Sprint BB on Boost Mobile. Just can't beat that price with shrinkage.I have about 3 months left before I'm down to 40 a month.

Unfortuntely at the boys home the only service there is AT&T.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts