Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, newbie to the boards here.

I need new shocks for a 96 Trooper. I do take it off road on occasion so I would like something that performes well both on and off road. (If emphasized toward off road a bit, that's okay). What do you guys reccomend?

I have briefly looked at the OME shocks but they are kind of pricy. Also the lift sounds nice, but exactly what is envolved w/ tightening the front torsion bar? And is there anything else I should look to change while changing the shocks?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
For on-road ride, I liked the Monroe Premium shocks that I had in the past. I tried some Pro-Comp 9000s, and they were ok, but honestly a bit stiff. I do have the OMEs now with OME springs in the rear. Cranking up the torsion bars in the front is quite easy. There is a bolt on each side, basically one under each front seat. You jack up the front of the vehicle, then tighten those bolts. As I recall it is approx 4 turns per inch, but of course that is just a starting point, your spring age, vehicle weight, etc will determine how many turns.

I believe that 285s will fit with that combination. I know that 265s will. I can run 33x10.50 tires on neutral offset rims, if that helps any. I'm sure that someone with 285s will chime in here.

-Tad

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you are interested in the OME shocks, back out and check out the post two below your original. Someone is selling a set of 4 at a decent price....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How were the Monroes in terms of how long they lasted/quality. They are really cheap which I like, but have head some pretty horrible things about them. You say they were good on-road, what about off? Will they blow seeing moderate levels of off-roading?

So the torsion bar tightening seems very easy to do. Thats good.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I don't think that you want to know about durability... I broke two in two consecutive weekends, however those were IMHO due to axle wrap.

I did break one under non-extraordinary conditions on the street when I hit an open manhole at night (in my defense, my GF didn't see it either). It burst and all of the fluid leaked out over the next few days.

A happy medium might be the Rancho 9000s, but they aren't much cheaper than the OMEs, and then you will want the inside control box, and will have air hoses to worry about, etc.

-Tad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I think the Monroe's are off of my list. Those used OME's are two years old. How long can I expect them to last?

Also, how is your OME kit working out? Pro's and con's? THanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had RS9000 on my 01 Trooper and replaced them for the OME firm shocks and Firm springs. At first I thought they were too firm but they did smooth out and they are still firm, but comfortable. Biggest plus is that it leans much less so it handles much better.

I'm pretty sure OME recommends Firm front shocks, comfort rear shocks and coils for a daily driver weekend off-roader.

Good Luck,
Con

·
Registered
79 Posts
Little Blue-
Check out Pro Comp ES3000s(cellular gas)or the (slightly firmer)ES9000s(nitrogen) shox. Not nearly as firm (read Stiff!) as the Ranchos, but definately a good high performance 4X4 shock, reasonably priced and come with a limited (normal on and off road use) lifetime warranty. 285/75/15 or 16 tires are (for the most part)33 inch diameter tires. Get out yor measuring tape and see if you think they'll fit. Your Trooper has bigger wheel wells than most other Isuzu SUVs. I bet they will! My 2 cents. Good luck!

Toddz/HI 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you don't do a lift, go with Tokico TrekMaster R/T shocks. They are great around town and off-road. Price is much less than OME.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.