Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, so a few days ago after i got home from buying groceries my 92 amigo stalled out on me. I was going to go to an eye appointment when it just stalled out in reverse. Now it starts and then dies after a few seconds. I changed the fuel pump relay this morning and same issue. My buddy thinks its the fuel pump and is coming over to help switch it out. Could this be fuel pump related or something else?

Really need all the help i can get! Im strapped for cash and have no way to get my kids to school until i fix this rig. I dont want to waste anymore money on things that i dont need replacing

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
My buddy thinks its the fuel pump and is coming over to help switch it out. Could this be fuel pump related or something else?
It sure could be something else. Swapping in a new fuel pump is a big waste of time and money if you have not tested it first. It's super easy to test it, and free.

You can borrow a "rental" tool from most all auto parts stores for free. Like this:

Heck, you can BUY a fuel pressure test tool for less than $20:

So between free loaner tools, cheap DIY tools, and free advice on the internet, I would go research the issue and not throw parts at it. It MIGHT be the fuel pump, but I doubt it. So I would diagnose the problem first before buying/throwing parts at the issue.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,143 Posts
Hello guys, so a few days ago after i got home from buying groceries my 92 amigo stalled out on me. I was going to go to an eye appointment when it just stalled out in reverse. Now it starts and then dies after a few seconds. I changed the fuel pump relay this morning and same issue. My buddy thinks its the fuel pump and is coming over to help switch it out. Could this be fuel pump related or something else?

Really need all the help i can get! Im strapped for cash and have no way to get my kids to school until i fix this rig. I dont want to waste anymore money on things that i dont need replacing
Don't know for sure if the Amigo is the same as the Trooper, but on the Trooper when it starts then dies over and over it's a classic example of a failed circuit in the alternator. This is usually checked with a jumper installed in the fuel pump relay contacts. I'll try to find the post for doing that and attach it here.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,143 Posts
Couldn't find the post I was looking for, but here's a picture of how the relay is jumpered.
Blue Circuit component Electrical wiring Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

1 - 4 of 4 Posts