Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Need help with my pinion/drive shaft problems

395 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Shawn Anthony 
#1 ·
Okay so, basically I’ve just about replced every crucial part you can think of on my Honda Passport 2002 (same thing as an Isuzu Rodeo). She has 250,000 miles and she’s all I got right now.
So my rear pinion seal was spraying gear oil, which I’ve been refilling from time to time. Some how it stopped spraying, not sure if the build up blocked the crack or what, but I never replaced it ( even though I do have the new seal). It Seemed to run fine. I was noticing turns we’re getting wider, harder to accelerate up the mountain I go over every day to work, and the clunking I was hearing when shifting from drive to reverse or when pressing the gas from a complete stop, kept becoming more frequent. Now yesterday I noticed it’s vibrating pretty bad and almost sounds like a grind or dragging sound when driving. Need you guys help on a diagnostic or how/what to check to get to a diagnosis. Thank you!!

#3 · (Edited)
Oil leaks do not stop on their own.
A vehicle that progressively becomes harder to turn and sluggish to accelerate are symptoms of a failing differential.
I can only suspect that your differential has little to no oil in it and as a result is chewing itself apart.

Pop out the fill plug to check for proper about if oil. a full differential will have oil level with the bottom of the fill hole. If it's lower than full, stick your finger in the hole and aim down. If you can not touch gear oil with the tip of your finger you differential is dangerously low on oil. From here it would be wise to assess the condition of your differential. Do this by pull the differential cover to check for excessive amount of metal. Tiny metal flakes and some glittery sheen in the oil is acceptable for a older vehicle. Large metal flakes and metal chunks are not.

#4 ·
Oil leaks do not stop on their own.
A vehicle that progressively becomes harder to turn and sluggish to accelerate are symptoms of a failing differential.
I can only suspect that your differential has little to no oil in it and as a result is chewing itself apart.

Pop out the fill plug to check for proper about if oil. a full differential will have oil level with the bottom of the fill hole. If it's lower than full, stick your finger in the hole and aim down. If you can not touch gear oil with the tip of your finger you differential is dangerously low on oil. From here it would be wise to assess the condition of your differential. Do this by pull the drain plug and check for excessive amount of metal. Tiny metal flakes and some glittery sheen in the oil is acceptable for a older vehicle. Large metal flakes and metal chunks are not.
02 Passport/Rodeo doesn't have a drain plug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.