Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 98 Rodeo, 4x4, it started making a grinding noise in the left front. I jacked it up, pulled the wheel, and spun the hub, it almost sounded as if the gears were just touching in the front diff., but there were no turning parts but that axel and the rotor. Well I have a manual, and pulled the rotor, and got it down to the spline in the hub. it appears the noise is coming from where the spline goes through the hub, and it has play up and down. Is there a bearing supporting the spline through the hub? I can pull the spline out of the hub somewhat and see in there, I do not see a bearing but can see where the base of the cv can rub. I suspect the play is allowing the spline to touch at some point causing my noise. Is this a common problem? If so what is the fix? My manual does not show a bearing in that area so I am stumped! I read you guys all the time, your awesome, and rarely do I need to ask a question, you have answered most questions so well just a search will have me going again..not this time tho...lol

Quick edit. Should that spline be packed with grease going through the hub? It is bone dry in there atm, not sure if that would cure it though.

Thank you so much!

Mike

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Yes, there is a knuckle bearing that's in the back of the steering knuckle that the cv shaft passes through. If your cv shaft has up and down play that's what I'd suspect. You can find a picture of it at www.myisuzuparts.com by entering in your information. Think the plate was 4-10 that displayed the breakdown view.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies, it does sound like that bearing is the problem. Is it a pressed bearing or can I change it without removing the whole knuckle? I was hoping to be able to just drop the lower ball joint to slide the shaft out, but can remove the whole thing. Yes the snap ring was in place on the spline. I read some posts concerning that, glad it was in place..:0

Thank you guys for the quick replies!

Mike

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I'd think you could change it without pulling the entire knuckle. Thin walled outer cage with needle bearings. Hopefully if it is a trashed knuckle bearing it hasn't gone so long as to trash the bore in the knuckle that the bearings is tapped in to.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Airhead rider said:
Hopefully if it is a trashed knuckle bearing it hasn't gone so long as to trash the bore in the knuckle that the bearings is tapped in to.
if he has, i should have a NEW OEM hub for it here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the new bearing, seal, and washer ordered, a lot cheaper than I expected. If by some chance the bore is ruined, how much does a new knuckle run?

Thanks guys!,

Mike

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
deadog129 said:
I've got the new bearing, seal, and washer ordered, a lot cheaper than I expected. If by some chance the bore is ruined, how much does a new knuckle run?

Thanks guys!,

Mike
you mean the hub, correct? the part with the wheel studs mounted on them, that the rotor bolts to....i have it here

HUB; FRT AXLE Part# 8971051070

List Price:$311.09

30.00 + actual shipping costs. can fit in a USPS Flat Rate box for 11.00.

it comes with 6 new wheel studs as well. fits 96-up Rodeos

www.myisuzuparts.com and put in the part number in the upper left corner, just make sure that the part you need.

thanks
Ron

·
Registered
350 Posts
Actually if it was the knuckle bearing that let go and chewed up the inside of the spindle, then he would need a new knuckle/spindle unit to replace it. The hub rides on the outside of the spindle and the axle shaft fits through the spindle on the inside (it is hollow) and is supported by the knuckle bearing.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Tanman85 said:
Actually if it was the knuckle bearing that let go and chewed up the inside of the spindle, then he would need a new knuckle/spindle unit to replace it. The hub rides on the outside of the spindle and the axle shaft fits through the spindle on the inside (it is hollow) and is supported by the knuckle bearing.
correct. i wanted to be sure what he needed before offering hope of having something i didnt have. Just wanted to be clear as some people call one part by different names (knuckle/spindle for example) and can be confusing.

deadog129 said:
Is it a pressed bearing or can I change it without removing the whole knuckle? I was hoping to be able to just drop the lower ball joint to slide the shaft out, but can remove the whole thing.
(above statement, in bold, makes me think the knuckle is OK)

i orignally asked if he need the hub (prior post). ive seen outer bearing races seize and spin inside the hubs more often. the outer race is thinner then the inner race, and the brake rotor heat expands the hub before the spindle allowing less resistance to spin the outer race inside the hub and chew it up. either can happen, but if he needs the hub, i have one here for him as well. no spindle though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.