Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of puting my head on and I went to put the &#%^$*$ camgear on and I cant get it up to the litlle post that goes into the hole on the gear so it wont go on. Is there anything I can do to get that dam thing on there so I don't have to take the hole front cover off the motor?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Usually, this is due to whatever tensioning device "tensioning"...

... Depending on vehicle sometimes you can fab a 1x4 to wedge in the belt/chain to hold the tensioner at bay while you do the head work (not really an option at this point though, eh?)

Understanding the particular tensioner and "devising" a method to push it back to a more "nominal running" position & holding it there while you fitted the cam gear may be your only hope.

·
Registered
790 Posts
You can turn the crank over with a large socket to get it lined up right. Just don't spin it over too far one way or the other until you get the cam gear back on. Don't want the valves down when the pistons are up.

Word of warning, don't crank the bolt down on the cam gear until you get that pin in the hole and the gear seated. I've seen a number of 1.8-1.9L Isuzu camshafts with a chunk broke off, the chunk with that pin in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.