Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 rodeos 4wd one is 3.1 and the other is 3.2. In the 3.1 the tranny is gone and the 3.2 have the engine blown both are automatics. I want to know if its possible to swap the tranny from the 3.2 to the 3.1. I read somewhere it's possible using the 3.2 bell housing so I need some advice with the project.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Far as I know all the automatics use a GM 60 Deg V6 bolt pattern. The 3.2, if I recall correctly, has a larger-diameter flywheel/flexplate, but I wouldn't think that would matter if you're bolting it up to the 3.1 and its flexplate.

Not sure if both trannies use the same torque converter I'd expect that if there is a different bolt pattern, you could swap converters as well.

Electronics would be the variable, IMHO. But considering they're all GM 4L30E trannies, there should be a lot of compatibility.

HTH..........ed

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
I own both trucks, 91 3.1L rodeo and a 97 3.2L rodeo, both automatics....but I honestly have no clue if their transmissions are interchangable....I know they're both GM 4L30

JLEMOND would be the one to ask, he's the Isuzu pro

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
It should bolt.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
muddreo said:
I have 2 rodeos 4wd one is 3.1 and the other is 3.2. In the 3.1 the tranny is gone and the 3.2 have the engine blown both are automatics. I want to know if its possible to swap the tranny from the 3.2 to the 3.1. I read somewhere it's possible using the 3.2 bell housing so I need some advice with the project.
THE 3.2 TRANS WILL BOLT RIGHT UP TO THE 3.1 NO PROB AT ALL, EXCEPT THE DUST CVR IS A LITTLE DIFF SHAPE. THE ONLY THING OYU HAVE TO WATCH FOR IS THE T/ CONVERTOR , THE 3.2 MAY BE A BIT LARGER BUT I DONT THINK IT IS IT WILL ALLSO BOLT TO THE 3.1 FLEX WHEEL. IF THE 3.2 TRANS IS A 96 OR LATER IT WILL AHVE 6 LUGS ON THE T/C SO JUST USE 3 OF THEM ON THE 3./1

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
One word of advise make sure the convertor will bolt up to the flexplate before putting tranny in,even if it has same number of bolts.
I left the convertor bolts as the last thing to do(other than starter) and I found out that their is two bolt patterns off by 1/2 bolt hole....after a late frustrating talk with an awesome person(he calmed me down :mrgreen: ) I removed the tranny again and swapped convertors after flushing the best I could

1 - 8 of 8 Posts