Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
still have no luck wiring this headunit... these are the colors of the wires from the new aftermarket harness,

yellow
black
red
blue/white
purple
purple/black
grey
grey/black
white
white/black
green
green/black

and these are the colors of the wires i have on the stock harness

black
red/green blue
yellow
white
red
green/red
orange
black/orange
brown/white
green/grey
grey

now what wire goes to what??

·
Registered
677 Posts
Is this aftermarket harness you speak of one of the ones that plugs into the factory harness and then connects to the radio or are these the wires coming from the radio that you are trying to splice into the factor wires by cutting the connector off the factory setup?

and these are the colors of the wires i have on the stock harness

black = ground
red/green blue = switched power from accessory side of key
yellow = ?
white = ?
red = constant +12v
The rest are pos and neg for the speakers. Those you'll have to figure out by either looking at the individual speakers or trial and error connections.

The white and yellow may be for a CD changer. I had them in mine also and they were not used. The instructions that came with the head unit (when did radios get such a fancy name?) should tell you what the wires are on that.

I suggest you get a 12 volt test light and verify the red wire for constant voltage and the red/green blue for switched power before taking my word for it.

For future use, automobile wiring always uses black for ground on everything and red is almost always constant 12 volt power. Yellow, white, and red with stripes are nearly always switched power.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Out of curiousity, why did you not just get the aftermarket plugin adapter and wire the stereo to that? I know they make them for the Isuzu's, I had one in my 98.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am splicing the wires from the new harness that came with the new headunit to the factory one that has the plug cut off. i was gonna try and find a aftermarket plug in harness but no one has them in stock :-( i already have it wired up somewhat. the headunit turns on but no sound at all :-( so this morning i tried something new to see if i had a speaker grounding out. i started by disconnecting the wires for the RR speaker behind the headunit. tried it then and still no sound. then i disconnected the wires for the RF speaker but then the head unit wouldnt turn on! WTF? i know the wires for the RF speaker that i had the new harness going to would be the red/white wire and the white wire on the factory harness. im guessing i dont have it wired right? but when i connected a AA battery to them the speaker popped. could it be possible the red/white wire is correct and the white wire is for something else??? idk if the speaker would still pop tho if connected to a battery. im so lost :-(

·
Registered
677 Posts
I suggest that you pull the covers off of all the speakers and examine the wires to see exactly which colors go to which speakers. That way you will have half of the battle won.

You haven't told us what kind of unit your installing, so its impossible for us to know the wires coming from that, but my Sony had a ground wire that had to be grounded to the body separately from the harness. Even though there is a ground wire in the factory harness, without that extra wire being grounded nothing worked.

I also have a reset button under the face plate that has to be pressed each time the battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its a pioneer. and thats a good idea about the wires going to the speakers. im gonna do that. and i already tried to use the ground via the harness and to connect it right to a body ground. didnt make a difference. i think most newer headunits have pretty much the same color wires in their harness's

·
Registered
336 Posts
So because I wasn't quick enough getting back to ya...you started another thread about the same exact thing...?

Speaker wires can change color from the stereo harness to the speaker connection. Not that all do, but if you pull the speakers and you've got different colors at the speakers don't assume something's wrong...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.