Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way home tonight everything was going well, till I pushed the clutch pedal and it gave way and stuck on the floor. I coasted to the shoulder and was able to pull the pedal up with my foot but when I tried to push the pedal in there was a grinding sound. Shut the car off and tried to push the pedal in and it wont move at all. Transmission seems to be shifting ok though. Open the bleeder and the pedal goes to floor and stays, pull it back up and same thing, cant push it back down. '94 trooper with hydraulic clutch btw.

I have never had clutch problems aside from slippage before and I am kind of at a loss here. Would really appreciate any help, especially since this it my only vehicle and has all my work tools in it.

Thanks,
Sam

P.S. Never had any trouble with the clutch in this vehicle before.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Either your master cylinder or slave cylinder is shot. My guess is it's your master.

Joe

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a 97 Rodeo 4cyl, 5spd, with the hydro clutch setup.....

At 96,000 miles I began to notice the well known noisey clutch sound of a bad throw out bearing, and before I could get the parts mine also had the cutch pedal "lock up" in a manner very much like what you've described.

When I pulled the tranny out, the throw out bearing was in pieces! The only thing that wasn't broken was the collar that slides onto the transmission's nose.

As a side note; I bought the replacement clutch kit from Discount Auto Parts (now called Advanced Auto Parts) everything bolted in just fine. I did notice that the pressure plate what slightly taller than the original though and the clutch has always been weak since the change (not slipping, just a very weak pedal). There is also a problem with air getting into the system and making it impossible to shift normally.

I can find no leaks in the system that would account for the air getting in so I'm thinking that the extra height on the pressure plate is part of the problem.

I have purchased an OEM pressure plate and plan to put that in over my Christmas vacation. The OEM plate is the correct height and a perfect match for the one that came out. Work on it begins on Monday. I'll post the results once its done.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my cheap clutch replacement from Autozone. Very weak pedal. It never did slip on me, even 4 wheeling on 33's.

I didn't like the pedal feel though. Good call on it possibly being the throwout, wasn't even thinking about that. It seems most people that have trouble with clutches on Zu's the master and slaves are usually the culprit.

Good to check all bases.

Joe

·
Registered
349 Posts
As promised here are the results of replacing an after market pressure plate with the OEM model in my 97 Rodeo. The throw out bearing had gone bad and the pedal was locking up so I knew it was time to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing.

I bought the full clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and alignment tool) from Advaned Auto Parts (Formally Discount Auto Parts) and while they promised me it was the right one, it wasn't! It fit the bolt pattern, and went into my 97 Rodeo just fine. However, that was where it stopped being correct. Every few days I was was back to bleeding the clutch and the pedal NEVER "felt" right. I even took it to a registered repair shop to have them bleed the clutch, but it was right back to needing to be bled after 4 days of driving. The pedal was always weak and was releasing and grabbing way too close to the floor. Plus the tranny didn't shift smoothly at all. Every gear change was an effort and forget about reverse unless the engine was off! I'd put maybe 300 miles on it and when I took it back out the wear on the fingers was worse than the one I'd replaced that had 96,000 miles on it!

This is now the second time I've tried to buy replacement parts from Advanced Auto Parts (formally Discount Auto Parts) and gotten the wrong part despite them swearing to me that it was the correct part. The first time it was the slave cylinder, now the pressure plate. Needless to say, I will never go back to them for parts of any kind again! My recommendation to all of you is to avoid them also. They just don't seem to have a clue as to what parts fit what vehicle. When I asked them to verify their part with the Isuzu part number they told me that they could not do that but based on my vehicle's VIN number, their part would fit and function correctly. LIARS!

I finally decided that due to their pressure plate being slightly different from the one that I was replacing. I determined that the difference in the over all height from the original (theirs was about 1/4" taller) was causing the problem. I resigned myself to pulling the truck apart again and putting an OEM plate in. I got the OEM pressure plate on the web from:

http://www.overnightautoparts.com/

I asked their sales person to double check the Isuzu part number for me and their part checked out to be an exact match including the manufacturer! It works perfectly! The system bled out nicely, the tranny shifts smooth again, the pedal is strong and working at the proper height from the floor.

The plate cost me around $79.00 and change with UPS 2nd day delivery charges added (the dealer wanted almost $300.00). They would have shipped it UPS ground for free if I'd wanted to take a chance on it not getting delivered until some time this week instead of before Christmas. As it turned out, they shipped it out last week on Monday and it was delivered to my house on the next day anyway!

I'm making a public recommendation to everyone looking for exact OEM replacement parts for their Isuzu's (or any other vehicle) to check out what's available at:

http://www.overnightautoparts.com/

One word of advise though.... once you find the OEM part in the OEM listings, see if they have the same part number in their Preformance parts section. For some reason the Preformance parts are listed at a lower cost than the OEM parts for the same part numbers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.