Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife wants to get rid of her car (2000 Camry), and after seeing what I've done to the Axiom over the last month, she wants an Isuzu. We found a 2000 4WD Trooper in Tennessee for sale by a private seller. It only has 85,000 miles and is fully loaded. It looks great. They're asking $6,500 for it. I know it has under 100K miles but that still seems like a lot to pay for an 11 year old vehicle right?

According to the owner, it just got a new timing belt, all new belts under hood, new trans. fluid, new front and rear end fluid, radiator flushed, new K&N Air Intake System, new window tint, JL Audio Pro Series speakers, new water pump, new NGK spark plugs, new fuel filter, & new Monroe Sensatrack Shocks.

I've seen 2000 trooper's go for less than $5,000 even with as few miles as this one has. I just saw a 2001 4WD Trooper go on eBay with 75,000 miles for $3,500.

She wants it so she can have something to haul the kids around in (We're about to start trying,) but also have something we can take offroad and have adventures in. She's not your typical female in regards to girly stuff. She sort of adapts to the things I like. She's become quite the camper, an avid hiker/mountain biker and loves watching football. We're headed to Yellowstone & Moab in 2 weeks and she can't wait to get away from the city life and live outdoors for a few weeks. That's not to say she's a tomboy though, she cleans up pretty well ;)

Anyway, getting this trooper would be great for 2 reasons. I hate her Camry, and it would be a significant upgrade over that POS. It doesn't even have cruise control! It's got dents, electrical problems, etc... What car manufactured since 2000 doesn't have cruise? But it would also be another vehicle for me to tinker around with.
:eek:

Is $6,500 too much? I really want to get it for around $5,000 or less. Should I wait the guy out (He says he needs to sell, but he doesn't want to budge on the price.) or should I suck it up and buy it for $6,500? We've got the cash in hand right now, it's just a matter of getting it at the price I want it at.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Go take a look. Kick the tires, take it for a test drive. Then offer what you feel it is worth, and make deal from there. If it is beautiful I would pay it. :D

btw my 94 Rodeo has cruise :toothy7:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I'd wait.

When I see a laundry list of "new" things like that, my first thought is to wonder what is wrong with it NOW, that is bad enough that they want to sell it ?

Someone goes through replacing all kinds of parts... Then something happens like the trans starts to slip, or the calipers and rotors and brake lines all have to be replaced, etc... And that turns into the straw that breaks the camel's back. They just want to get rid of it now.

Since they aren't likely to actually tell you the extent of what you are going to have to do to it once it's yours, you have to assume that it is more than just changing the oil, or putting new tires on.

One other thing that seems unique to someone selling a car, personally...

Look down through that laundry list of 'new' stuff, and odds are, part to most of those items have been on there for several years now. But in the mind of the owner, they 'feel' like, "Well I JUST replaced that !"

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Selador AKA Tat said:
I'd wait.

When I see a laundry list of "new" things like that, my first thought is to wonder what is wrong with it NOW, that is bad enough that they want to sell it ?
That's along the lines of what I was thinking too. I saw the list of things they replaced and at first got excited. Then doubt started creeping into my mind. Why did he replace all of those things if he's selling it?

It's such a great looking ride though. It really does look like it's in fantastic shape. Did I mention it's already got the brush guard installed too? I'm gonna have to stop looking at the pictures of it and tell myself to wait a month. Temptation's getting to me! If it's not there, it wasn't meant to be. If it is there, it may be time to make an offer.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
95Rodeo4x4 said:
Go take a look. Kick the tires, take it for a test drive. Then offer what you feel it is worth, and make deal from there. If it is beautiful I would pay it. :D

btw my 94 Rodeo has cruise :toothy7:
I've gotten 2 tickets in that freakin' Camry because the cruise didn't work. I just wasn't paying attention to how fast I was going. 75 doesn't feel a whole lot different than 65.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
that list could be over a year also. i got the rundown of "new" parts on my rodeo too....they weren't that new. :lol:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Price is what the market will bear. Around here 6.5k for a 2000 with all the goodies is about average for that Trooper. I'd still go look at it, make an offer you're comfortable with and then play the waiting game if they refuse.

Trust me, they will take 5 for it before they haul it to the crusher for 300.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Couple things occur to me to ask. Is the engine the early 3.5 that can be an oil user, sometimes despite the best maintenance efforts?
Did you go to Kelly Blue Book to see what they say? ( www.kbb.com). Kelly is really is not as realistic as they would have you think, but you can plug in the options etc; and get a ballpark idea.
Owning an Isuzu is not like owning an Oldsmobile, Pontiac or Saturn. Parts and dealers are still there to service them by virtue of being GM. There is no dealer network for Isuzu, parts can be hard to find, a lot of owners turn to aftermarked replacement stuff when things start to fail. An OEM Trooper is more easily diagnosed and maintained than one with non OEM parts,. One guys opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts