Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am currently looking at buying a 1990 tropper II with the 2.6L four and a 5 speed manual with 4WD. The rig is in great shape and has new tires and they want $500 OBO. The catch is she said it is smoking white smoke and her mechanic told her it was a cracked cylinder block. I assume from reading that it is most likely just a warped head or gasket. Do you think it would be worth it to pick it up? Were can I find parts ie head, rebuild kit for the 2.6L? Also how reliable are these vehicles. I would mainly use it for winter transportation and hunting.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
yenkoz28 said:
Hi, I am currently looking at buying a 1990 tropper II with the 2.6L four and a 5 speed manual with 4WD. The rig is in great shape and has new tires and they want $500 OBO. The catch is she said it is smoking white smoke and her mechanic told her it was a cracked cylinder block. I assume from reading that it is most likely just a warped head or gasket. Do you think it would be worth it to pick it up? Were can I find parts ie head, rebuild kit for the 2.6L? Also how reliable are these vehicles. I would mainly use it for winter transportation and hunting.
First off, welcome to the board.

If it's running o.k. and just blowing some steam, I'd tend to agree that it's the head or gasket causing the problem.

I suppose the block could be cracked, but I've never seen it personally.

Is it worth it? I suppose that's up to you. If it's in great shape and you plan to keep it a while, probably. Go for the OBO of course. Anything you save, you can use towards repair..

Are they reliable? Luck of the draw I guess. The first gens have a few quirks, mostly due to the head being prone to crack. They are a interferance engine, so keep a good timing belt on there. The wireing harness at the fuel tank is another, but is easily taken care of. Main thing, keep em cool and maintained & they'll putt along forever.

That said, mine kicks right over every morning & gets me where I need to go & back.

Cant ask for more then that.

:wink:

Jim

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Welcome!

One other thing to consider, even after you make the repairs the Trooper will be a slow vehicle. It is built like a tank and the 2.6L is only rated for about 120 HP. Works well for off roading but is simply not built for speed. But like the Energizer Bunny, with a little care Trooper keep going and going. Some members have over a 1/4 million miles on their Troopers.

·
Registered
790 Posts
For the best possible replacement head go to www.aluminumheads.com and look for new AMC heads. It is an improved casting using high grade aluminum, much less prone to cracking.

For parts, look up http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/. Their parts department comes highly recommended, and I don't think I've ever heard of them charging shipping on parts to anyone. The factory Isuzu head gasket is your best bet too, though I've heard people say good things about Felpro. Avoid cheapness on the headgasket at all costs, if nothing else by a good head gasket and skimp on the rest of the gaskets. Also, I like www.rockauto.com for parts in general when shopping online.

As for the slow vehicle, sure its no race car. It will go plenty fast enough to get you in trouble though, either with the law enforcement, or the laws of physics when you come up to a corner. For a light wheeling/hunting rig, it would be reliable and capable. You just have to take good care of the cooling system, especially with a stock head.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow and probably pick it up. You have a great website and I'm glad I found it. I figured it would be a little low in the power dept., but as long as it can run 65mph on the interstate I'll be happy. I'm in Montana, so I'll have plenty of trails to run on in the mountains.

You mention the AMC head is good, how about the protopline head I have found. Is it any good too? Anyone use it with success? What performance upgrades seem to work well? I found a header and camshaft on calmini. How does the stock ecm respond to modifications like that?

Thanks again guys, I'll be sure to update the thread when I pick it up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
yenkoz28 said:
You mention the AMC head is good, how about the protopline head I have found. Is it any good too? Anyone use it with success? What performance upgrades seem to work well? I found a header and camshaft on calmini. How does the stock ecm respond to modifications like that?
Protopline and AMC both have good reviews. You can start with a drop in K&N filter. Thats the only thing I would recomend for the intake side. (Unless you want to fab some stuff.) Ditch your stock exhaust. You can go with a pacesetter header or calmini header. Dynomax makes a good muffler as well. I went with the pacesetter. Delta also makes a cam as well.
As far as your ecm is concerned, no one has really reported any problems. The calmini cam is geared toward gains on the high end, so it really won't interfere with the ecm.

get familiar with this site for performance parts.
http://www.independent4x.com/generic42.html

·
Registered
558 Posts
Youll have no problem running along on the interstate. My 90 2.6L Trooper would hold 80mph perty well acrost central WA. I ccant realy coment on how well they respond to mods, i had to sell my troop. But as far as long term durability goes, if you keep up whith reutine maintnence then Isuzus will run forever. I have an 80 pickup whith 430,000miles on it now whith the original tranny and axles. The engine has about 85,000miles on it and she still runs strong. Good luck 8)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Hey guys I was not knocking the first gen Troopers. I was just pointing out the obvious. While they definitely can do 75+ MPH, it takes them a bit of time to get there. They simply do not have the acceleration of more modern SUVs, especially from a standing start. As the Trooper in question had mechanical issues, I was just warning the prospective buyer that even after repairs it would be "slow." This is not a "deal breaker" for many of us but it may be for someone unfamilar with first gens.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I bought it for $450 and will be picking it up soon. I'll throw a new head on and maybe a cam while I am at it. It is a fairly clean rig with just over 100K on it. The lady is the original owner, so I doubt it has any offroad miles. And being a Montana car it is completely rust free. I'll post pics when I get it running. Oh and as for the speed I have a couple other toys for that. :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I see what your sayinh Hack, i didnt think you were knocking the old guys though (why would be here if that were the case eh).

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Sounds like it ought to be a pretty good ride.

100,000 is actually pretty low for a 90 model.

Probably used mostly as a grocerie getter & for soccer mom duties, so it should be pretty tight.

Keep us posted & SEND PICS!
:lol:

Jim

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Oops, dont know where I got 100,000 miles.

Must of got my posts mixed up. :oops:

Still, it sounds like it ought to be a pretty good truck.

Jim

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I just wanted to update everyone. I brought the trooper home and will start pulling the head as time allows. Thanks for the help everyone. I would attach a pic of it, but I don't have a host.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I replaced my OEM head with the AMC head last February. Be sure to label all of your vacuum hoses and ports--that was the most difficult part for me...I crossed up a couple of them and it took me a day or two to figure out (with help from tech forum) when I got it all back together. :oops:

Sounds like you got a great deal on an old Trooper. Post up pics when you can! (photobucket.com is super easy)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.