Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my wife her Xterra back in August of this year, it's an '05 Off-Road with 50,000 miles. Bought it from a dealership and it looked great, until....

We realized the other day the paint was starting to come off, and pretty bad too. Whoever painted it didn't prime it first. It's slick as owl **** underneath so it's no wonder the paint didn't stick. Pics below:

Disregard the AU tag, we're in a mixed marriage ;)

Here's the problem. I'm assuming whoever owned the X before it got to the dealership painted all the trim the same way they did the front bumper. The rest of the painted trim is probably pretty durable considering it never gets hit directly by debris/water/wind. They don't make these bumpers in black or else I'd probably just spring for a new one. I don't want to buy and replace the rest of the trim with new gray plastic (gray is the only color available) because Nissan plastic is known to fade veeery quickly. The only way to avoid the fade is to paint it.

What are my best/cheapest options? What about taking it all off, sanding it, and covering it with bed liner? I know that's a pretty cheap alternative, but sounds like a lot of work just to paint the plastic. This is our kid hauler/camping expedition vehicle. Plus my wife is a coach and she hauls athletic equipment around, so no one try to sway me to get a heavy duty bumper This thing is the tamer of the two SUV's we have and she likes the stock look of the bumpers.

No idea is a bad idea. Throw 'em out and let's see what you've got, I'm definitely all ears.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Cant get past the Barn tag, sorry. I think its 90% of the paint and ugly issue....

I'm in the same situation with the Trooper. The cheapest thing to do other than just drive it is to put a car bra on it. You can get those for around $100. I did get a quote to repaint my bumper on the Trooper at a local shop. It was about $200 which isnt that bad. IMHO, putting bedliner on the family car wouldnt be the best choice and I dont know if she would appreciate it. I chose to do the bra for numerous reasons, the main being $$$$ needing to be spent on other house projects.

And change that tag! 42-14

·
Registered
928 Posts
Unless I'm wrong, the xterra bumpers and trim are supposed to be unpainted plastic, so the PO must've painted them and done a crappy job to boot!
If I were you, and I had your painting skills that we all know you have, I'd sand it all down and bedline it

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Pressure wash it back to one color! If it's anything like VX plastic, you could get some bondo brand restore black, which I used on my VX and it has stained the black back to original color very well and for a few months now. Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
well with our Xterra We used the Krylon fusion paint in black and it works great and with the right prep lasts awhile. That is what all the Nissan guys are doing now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts