Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 91 amigo for cheap in need of some maintainance for cheap as a second vehicle. I am doing the standard of changing fluids/filters ect. In an attempt to check the plugs, I had trouble with a spark plug(# 3 cylinder) where as either a previous owner either stripped or destroyed the threads on the spark plug hole. i have not yet removed the plug and the vehicle runs fine as is, but sooner or later, the plugs have to get changed.

The question/problem I have is, should I remove the plug and try to repair(helicoil or insert), pull the head and try to repair or take it to a professional?

I paided little to nothing for it, and its worth every penny paid :lol: so the least amount of money spend is my biggest goal, but reliability is important.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I would take it to a pro that will stand behind it in this instance.

Another member of this board had the same problem & the machine shop he used apparently was'nt up to snuff as compression kept blowing the helicoil & plug out of the head. Of cource, they would'nt stand behind their work.

Poor guy had the head off & on so many times, he could probably do it in his sleep.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Our mechanic once put a helicoil in my dad's 88 2.6L Trooper without removing the head. He used grease on the tap to catch the shavings and then installed the helicoil. The labor savings were considerable, and that fix lasted something like 75k miles until he sold it.

-Tad

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would second (or third) the heli-coil route. And it may not be previous owner neglect. I had an '86 that just shot a plug right out of the block. Big Kaboom sound that had people ducking for cover on the sidewalk, South of Market in S.F. The AAA tow truck drier said, "Yeah, Isuzus do that." Anyway - the heli coil worked for me and another 15K or so miles until I traded it in.

·
Registered
894 Posts
It is possible that you only need to re-run the existing threads with a thread chaser. Point being while you should be prepared for the worst, don't overlook the simplest fix as a possible option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like I said, I have not yet removed the plug yet, but when I do, I have some work to do. It looks to me like someone cross threaded the plug in the hole. The plugs (other 3) look pretty old and crusty. I didn't bother cleaning them because I plan to replace soon. All I can say is I hope it doesn't turn out poorly.

In case of the worst, does anybody know of a place I can get a 2.6 head for cheap? I have looked on car-parts.com and called a couple of local junkyards with no luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There are several companies selling rebuilt heads on Ebay(of course I"d go through and find their sites and see if I could do some research on the company's themselves).

Also someone selling used head on ebay for about half the price.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey, that man was me!! I had the most problems with the sparkplug hole. I done the stripped spark plug hole thing recently, so ill tell you what its going to be a pain. I've put 3 helicoils in and all of them came out with the helicoil still attached to the sparkplug. I recommend that you make sure the hole is not too big for the helicoil cause it will come out, most from the pressure of the combustion. I had to take off the head and get the hole welded up with aluminum and so far its holding up.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I'll agree with Tomster on this one, my 88 trooper had a plug crossthreaded in it when I got it. I just used a spark plug thread chaser in it and it's been fine ever since.

Go the helicoil route if you have to, it's usually is a permenent fix. I've not heard of any (well one now) that have come out. Especially if it's been done by a machine shop. The good aluminum heads come with steel inserts for added strength and better life with multiple disassemballies.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.