Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking around the site for a few months and decided to jump in with all my issues. I have read quite a bit on the forums. So much in fact I am a bit overwhelmed and am not sure where to begin. I find myself wanting to do everything all at once. Here is a bit of history:

I am the proud owner of a 99 Trooper. She has 180k miles and I am the second owner. Aside from oil changes and repairs as needed I have not done much more in the way of maintenance since I have owned her over the past 4yrs/30k miles. Three weeks ago had the cooling fan snap during start up. Obviously that caused a bit of damage: Radiator, fan, coolant lines, pulley bracket, etc. Thought about giving her up and moving on but have changed my mind and want to keep her. With that said I need to fix what's broken and catch up with preventative maintenance. That's where you guys come in:) I know the first things to do are the repairs to get her back on the road. But what should come next? And, what else would you recommend replacing when fixing the broken things to avoid repeating labor?

This is what MUST be repaired/replaced immediately:
1. Cooling fan bracket
2. fan
3. Radiator
4. Power steering pressure hose (leaking)

Things I know are wrong but can wait. (I think)
1. Replace valve gasket cover gasket
2. AC compressor (locked up at end of summer)
3. Lower ball joints
4. both front axles replaced
5. Shocks (needed for a while now)
6. 4 wheel drive will not engage.
Another concern once she is running is the timing belt and water pump. They were replaced at 110k by the PO. Should that be priority #1?

Obviously she needs a lot of work but she is free of accidents, extremely clean body and interior, and I enjoy driving her. It's time I take care of her and just need a bit of guidance to get her 100%. Then I can go above and beyond with mods and such.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey everyone...haven't had any responses yet so not sure if I posted the above post in the proper place. If not please let me know where it should be. I hope I haven't presented myself or the truck as a lost cause. Would appreciate any comments or advice you may have.

Thanks guys...looking forward to rebuilding her and being an active member of the board.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
gcwhitewater said:
Hey everyone...haven't had any responses yet so not sure if I posted the above post in the proper place. If not please let me know where it should be. I hope I haven't presented myself or the truck as a lost cause. Would appreciate any comments or advice you may have.

Thanks guys...looking forward to rebuilding her and being an active member of the board.
Welcome to the planet, GC !

What motor and trans do you have ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response Jeff.
3.5L DOHC
auto

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
gcwhitewater said:
Thanks for the response Jeff.
3.5L DOHC
auto
I'm afraid I don't know much about that year and combo.

Is there something questionable about the water pump and/or timing belt ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not that I am aware of. Just thinking preventative with that one. It has been a while since it has been done and don't want to create any additional damage. It is actually a task i would like to do myself. I have a bit of knowledge...well...just enough to get me into trouble. Would like to change that level of knowledge and seems the best way to do that is get in there and learn by doing.
Jim

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
gcwhitewater said:
Not that I am aware of. Just thinking preventative with that one. It has been a while since it has been done and don't want to create any additional damage. It is actually a task i would like to do myself. I have a bit of knowledge...well...just enough to get me into trouble. Would like to change that level of knowledge and seems the best way to do that is get in there and learn by doing.
Jim
Good approach to just about everything in life. :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the delay in my responses. I am a newbie and all my posts/replies must be approved by admin before posting. Does that end at some point? I assume it will once I have enough substantial posts but any idea of the quantity needed.

(I know this is off topic.)

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
gcwhitewater said:
Sorry for the delay in my responses. I am a newbie and all my posts/replies must be approved by admin before posting. Does that end at some point? I assume it will once I have enough substantial posts but any idea of the quantity needed.

(I know this is off topic.)
I have approved every post you've made so far. So you can blame the delay on me being busy with other stuff as well. LOL

It should stop with this post. Once you have 5 approved posts, you are free to post however much you like.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I like to do things in groups, it takes longer, but it saves time. I'd start with under the hood. Get new coolant lines, new radiator, fan and parts for everything else you need to fix from your fan breaking. Start with removing all of those. while everything is off I'd go ahead and use the opportunity to flush the power steering pump. You said you wanted to take care of your trooper and this is a good idea. Mine was black at 130k. Because you're replacing your radiator you will also need to replace your transmission coolant lines. It's not a difficult task. I will also assume that you have an auto since most troopers have autos. If this is a case, one thing that is also going to be mandatory even though no problems are present is for you to drain your transmission pan and fill it with new fluid.

Once these are complete I'd start with the 4wd diagnosis. It could be a vacuum issue or an electronic issue. I guess we need more info in regards to symptoms and what not. It could be a simple vacuum line issue, sensor, or at worst a mechanical issue. I doubt it's mechanical and I highly doubt you will need to replace your front axle.

As far as ball joints and shocks go, I'd do them at once. How are your brakes? You may want to do some maintenance there as well perhaps.

Reactions: gcwhitewater

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the response Med!c!!!
I have already ordered, radiator, coolant lines, fan pulley bracket, ps-pressure hose (small leak), and ps-pump (leaking as well). All ordered from RockAuto...never ordered from them so hope all goes well. I will look into the transmission coolant lines. I had forgotten the radiatior has dual cooling duty, thanks for the reminder. Fan has been my only problem. I haven't been able to find a new one and I don't mind a used one but don't want to get ripped off ordering from e-bay. Any suggestions guys?

Yes, I have an auto so I'll plan on changing the transmission fluid as you suggested.

I'll hold on the 4wd until this is all sorted. What are your thoughts on the timing belt and water pump?

When you spoke of the ball joints and shocks you said "I'd do them at once". Did you mean as a group or as soon as possible. It's the at once that threw me...i assume you mean as a group but I will not be assuming anything with this project!!!

Brakes are good. 1/2 pad remains and are all wearing evenly.

Thanks again, I appreciate it!
Jim

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
You can safely go another 40k and then you may want to consider getting the timing belt done. Alot can happen in 40k, especially if this is going to be another 4-5 years for you. Timing belts are good for 100-110k.

As far as the fan goes, either PM JLEMOND or LOWZONE . They are good sources of used parts. I personally have a spare fan thats collecting dirt, but im too lazy with these things so it will probably never happen .

But yeah, I was suggesting you do ball joints and shocks at the same time.

·
Registered
793 Posts
welcome !!

I am not too familiar with 3.5 too but I have a 93 with 3.2 engine.

are you going to fix it yourself or take it to the shop ???
I would say timing belt/water pump can be replace soon, but can wait.

do you know whats wrong with your 4wd? im not familiar with newer model trooper, yours is torque on demand 4wd right?

(didn't refresh page and when I reply this post there are already 5 posts..lol)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Willy.
As I said earlier in the thread i know just enough to get myself into trouble, but I want to learn how to do this stuff so the best is to just do it. With research and guidance of course. There will be things I will take to the shop but would like to do most of it.

Not sure exactly what the issue is with the 4wd. It is TOD. Haven't done much off road yet but hopefully that will change. Not looking to do anything extreme though. Once she's up and running I will try engaging the drive and post the results. I am not well versed with the 4wd so this will be my biggest challenge by far. If anyone knows of a good, honest shop in the Houston area let me know. I would love to get an evaluation from an 4wd expert. No offense to my usual shop but it seems they are better suited for the wife's Odyssey.

(Noticed you are in SLC...lived there in the avenues for 5 years...I miss seeing the mountains daily.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts