Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am losing oil at rate of 3 quarts every 2 weeks. Idrove about 500 miles. When I purchased the car my mechanic said both engine valve cover gaskets needed to be replaced. They replace the driver side. Then they clean the engine had me drive the car around and determine it was the oil pan gasket was leaking that was fixed.

Now 2 weeks later I'm out of oil again.

The mechanic said if you had a bad valve cover gasket it would burn oil and you wouldn't see it leaking much, is this true.

Update: I took it to the people that fixed the oil pan gasket. They looked at the engine and the underside no oil. We are baffled as to where the oil could be going. The tail pipe color is an off white. One guy said that it did not look the right color.

Any help or guesses would be helpful. I am bringing it in Monday Sept 29.

Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The mechanic doesn't know what white smokes means? Find a new mechanic. White smoke almost always means water in the exhaust. My guess is you have a head gasket blown. Leaking oil into the coolant. I would check your coolant to see if it is milky white. I haven't heard of too many Troopers leaking oil into coolant. Usually it is coolant mixing in the oil. Is it marking it's territory? ( Leaving oil drips ) Try place a piece of cardboard under the truck that will lead you to where it is dripping from.
Then you can try and pin point it from there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Have you looked at your coolant?

Take the cap off the radiator and check to see if there is any oil floating in the coolant for starters.

I believe the proper way to check for a cracked head gasket is to pull plugs and do an air pressure leak test in each cylinder.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You could also try looking at the dip stick and see what color your oil is. If that is milky white then it's the head gasket. Could also be blown valve stem oil seals though that's unlikely with a white exhaust. Compression test is the best way to find out but I have to agree with neonguy. Get a new mechanic quick. If he doesn't know what white smoke is he has no business messing with cars and should maybe work in a library. :roll:

Cris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts