Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started this thread to document the installation of a winch on the 90 Trooper.

1st off took the grille out so I could get to the sheet metal attached underneath.

Naturally every single screw had to be ground off even the ones in the back under the headlights, yay!

This **** has to come out. Mainly because it happens to be right in the way of where I want the winch.

here's a start of the remains, ended up adding a lot more

I added this cross brace for extra support and to mount the upright. Should have figured the winch position out first, it had to come back out. Personally I think this shot is awesome, looks like it's ready to attack :twisted:

After removing more material :mrgreen: you can see where the frame horns had been cut previously. I'll have to reinforce this area with some extra bracing.

Test fitting the winch to figure out how far back I could drill the holes in my cross bar.

Welded in the rear most cross brace for the mount

after some measuring realized I need to remove some of the frame horns

my welds are for sure not going to win awards but they'll hold

added the front cross brace, this is probably my best weld ever, looks scary with so little metal holding it, but trust me reinforcement is on the way.

made some braces to go between the front and back braces. the hole serves no purpose other than I' m recycling my steel

with both of those welded in.

more brackets, these tie the front brace to the lower frame

added 2 more braces on the outsides to clean it up a little

and this is where I left if for today, another day of sporting the channel locks I guess.

I don't care for the mounting system of the control box, nor do I have room for it under my grille.

Deciding I don't have room for the entire box under the hood, so disassembly is required :twisted:

So I was able to use some of the original box ( 90% of the base, and about 10% of the hood ) the rest goes to the scrap pile

Welded the base to the side of the battery tray, mounted the solenoid, attached the plug to the frame via plastic bracket.

I just don't have enough cable or terminal ends yet

I stopped by carquest during lunch :D

Made some brackets for the fairlead. Dropped a 5 lbs chuck of steel on the top of my foot doing this one :shock: should've been wearing boots vs shoes.

Sometime during cutting steel for the above brackets, I realized I bought a cut off saw a couple of weeks ago. :evil: So to date I've made all these cuts with a die-grinder or sawzall. I've used this for only about 5%.......what a goob :lol:

Welded on the brackets

now this is starting to look better :twisted:

another side shot, this one with the roller fairlead........I really need to get a hawse

finally mounted the cross brace for the body, after making sure I could get the winch into place this time :oops:

Ran 2 more wires I was lacking the correct terminals for. Then primed and painted everything. Time to let it dry while I try to catch up on some other loose ends.

all the wires needed, with boots and taped up as need

hooked up the wires and installed in the cradle

tied up all the wiring for the solenoid

cut the lower radiator cover and painted

welded the panel back since all the bolts broke, masked off for painting

Done and tested

finished pic for the real world :D

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jonathan, I think the pics make it look easy. Honestly it's been a real pita so far ;)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is how I rolled home last night and back to work this AM. Channel Locked up :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Ha! nice! :D

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jonathan - yeah, didn't want the front fenders flopping in the breeze too much :lol:

Ian - thought you might like that :D

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
moved to op

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
moved to op

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snagged this pic when I got to work this AM, gives a good idea of how recessed the mount is. I think I'm going to end up getting a hawse fairlead though, the roller one I have is going to stick out 3" beyond the front crossbar :evil: .

The pic is deceiving, the front crossbar appears to not be square......it is. Bad camera angle I guess :lol:

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I'm diggin it, I think your welds look good!! Sides practice makes perfect..!! I'm a big fan of reusing scraps to build stuff myself, and sometimes those extra holes come in handy for actual mounts.. Kee fighting the good fight dude, I'm looking forward to seeing the winch mounted up..

And remember the front is curved so no matter how you hold your toung it's gonna throw off the perspective... That's what I tell myself anyway lol :)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
moved to op

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bradzuzu said:
And remember the front is curved so no matter how you hold your toung it's gonna throw off the perspective... That's what I tell myself anyway lol :)
Thanks Brad, funny thing is I took the pic, loaded it up and thought oh crap. I actually went back outside just to make sure it was square :lol:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once again I rolled home sporting the channel locks, but this time they were accompanied by a fairlead :p

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That sucks that all the dumb bolts had to be cut.. What do you think it's gonna take to render that ?? The Chanel locks are pretty cool though haha :) Just so the records straight , back when I built my Manx the first time around , I used a pare of Chanel locks on a weld and forgot about them being there till a year later when I happen to look under the front just right lol...

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
That is looking knarly. COuld you not drill the bolts and tap them out?

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.