Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, my wife and I have been looking for a 67-68 Ford Mustang Fastback for her. We've looked at a bunch of them, called about alot more and I think we have decided on one. It's a '68 j-code car, original 302/4-spd car. The current owner restores Mustangs (according to him he has 12 right now :lol: ) He's replaced pretty much all of the sheet metal on the car, had it on a rotisserie and redid the floor pans, torque boxes, front aprons, quarter panels etc. He coated the entire undercarriage in POR15 and then went back over it with spray-on bedliner, he did the same to the interior floor. It comes with pretty much everything except for an engine (has the original 4-spd still), and some misc interior pieces but pretty much all of the car is there, and it also comes with a brand new Eleanor body kit :twisted: It's not installed because after all the metal work was done he just couldn't bring himself to do the cutting and molding needed for the kit on all the new metal, so it's up to us if we want to use it or sell it ($3000+ kit). We would at least be using the tail section (decklid with spoiler, taillight panel and quarter extensions). The only thing that will keep us from getting it is being able to get it titled in Florida, Georgia doesn't give titles for vehicles that old and you can't tag it in it's current condition so we're trying to figure out a way to show Florida proof that he is the owner and is selling to us. Well here are the pictures of the car and it's progress :)

As it started:

New quarter being installed

Roof condition

Floorpans being installed and the undercarriage being coated

New fuel lines:

During sandblasting:

Current state:

It has all new front/rear suspension on it as well and all the original glass. He's also installed new front disc brakes and brake booster etc. Found a 351w with transmission up the road from me that I'm going to pick up to build for it. She'll eventually be painted red with white stripes with black interior. Crossing fingers that title isn't going to be too hard to figure out so we can have this puppy in the garage soon.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
add the kit.it would look awesome.
does the car have its VIN numbers?

guy bought my 62 c10 a few yeras back and titled it in florida.All I had was a bill of sale
You should be able to do it

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup car has all the original tags and vin on it

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:D not right away, gotta go through all the parts and see what we want to keep or replace.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure we'll get the title thing figured out. Wifey has to decide if she wants the kit or not on it. It's a bit expensive to most people because it's not together but the time/work/money put into fixing all the body etc is well worth it plus the Eleanor kit is 3K+ all by itself. And the fact that it comes with almost everything to complete it makes it nice too.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Good luck.

I wish I had money for a classic car project right now. Was looking through online classifieds the other day, and there are a ton of great project vehicles for cheap right now.

One guy was selling 2 (a 72 and 73) AMC Javelins, one with a good engine, the other good tranny, both had straight bodies and where mostly rust free. Only asking $4k for both of them. Also saw a mid 60's Ford Galaxie 500 convertible, would have needed a frame up restoration, but only wanted $2k for it.

If I had the money, I'd have so many projects.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Got the title thing figured out, so Saturday we'll be picking this baby up!

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just saw your reply sags, must have been posting at the same time. I'm with you, if I had alot of money i'd have a ton of projects at the house :lol: Once we are done with this car I'll be looking at building my own personal toy. Just picked up the first part for the car, 351w V8 with C4 transmission for $100!!! Post pics in a sec

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the Eleanor kit and all parts we are paying $10,500. When searching for fastbacks we were finding ones completely rusted to the ground for $3500 and found one in Indiana that looked great in pictures but the floors were rusted through, needed a frame rail, doors needed work, for $14000. If you know what it costs/takes to do what's done to this one, you know there is no way you could find a donor fastback and do the same amount of work for that price, plus the eleanor kit.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just found out something great about the motor :) Ranm the casting numbers and it's a 1969 351, first year made and between 69-74 are the most desirable of all SBF due to their strength, 69-70 had the better large port/large valve heads, AND I thought the trans was a C4 but it's actually a C6, so it's a STEAL!!!

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brandon about s**t a brick when I told him :lol: If it was a coupe then it would be kinda high but ya the fastbacks are $$$. Dude I'm more stoked about this damn engine/trans, I think we got the most desirable small block ford combo for a performance build for $100!!!!! I could sell the heads off the engine for more than that!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
:lol:

That is an awesome find, for real. :wink:

I just got a wicked idea!

Stip everything off the block and paint it Caterpillar yellow. That'd be sweet!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Sags said:
Good luck.

I wish I had money for a classic car project right now. Was looking through online classifieds the other day, and there are a ton of great project vehicles for cheap right now.

One guy was selling 2 (a 72 and 73) AMC Javelins, one with a good engine, the other good tranny, both had straight bodies and where mostly rust free. Only asking $4k for both of them. Also saw a mid 60's Ford Galaxie 500 convertible, would have needed a frame up restoration, but only wanted $2k for it.

If I had the money, I'd have so many projects.
not to hijack Dallas thread but one of the coolest cars i ever owned was this 71 javelin amx.401 engine with forged internals,250hp nitrous,built 727 tranny and a ford 9 incher out back.car had rare mint rallye rims and a factory cowl hood.Had dumps right under the front seats and when u mashed the gas,it would fly and deafen you.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Oh, a fastback build. This is about the only body style and year of mustang that I truly like. I am definitely subscribed to this. I hope I have enough popcorn. 8)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts