Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it doesn't knock or ping but I sure am having a ton of trouble, and what does a rebuild cost?? Are these trucks worth the money it will take to rebuild the engine?? THanks,

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ole Blue had 212k on her when I sold her to chase, and she just made the trip up to Boston.

Scheduled maintenance is the key. Don't let something go bad on you out of the blue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pretty much since i have had it. The voltage goes haywire then it will just die. Had the charging system checked at 3 places, and they all say it is good, had the starter rebuilt due to slow startup, didn't help, replaced the fuel filter and changed the oil. Still I can't go around town maybe 10 min. it will lose all power you can floor it and it won't go over 30mph, then it will kick in and work. 1week after oil change the oil is already as black as night. I am worried i bought a dud truck, the rest of the truck is great, new motor and i'm sure i'd be rocking for many miles, but what does the rebuild generally cost??? Thank you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Electrical problems can all be traced back to the alternator. I know that it may have tested ok, but really, I had mine tested twice, both said it was ok, and then 1 day later it died on the highway.

I had a $2400 transmission rebuild done thanks to a bad alternator kicking off a check trans light.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd recommend you first determine whether or not you really need a rebuild.
Have you done a compression check?
Is it burning oil?
What do the spark plugs look like?
The problems you're describing don't sound like things that would be solved by an engine rebuild.
If your voltage is going haywire, that has nothing to do with how happy your cylinder walls are.
If your coil is going belly-up, that has nothing to do with how happy your piston rings are.

Good luck,
Phil

·
Registered
416 Posts
It could be a loose ground cable.

An engine in need of a rebuild won't run just fine most of the time and then momentarily exhibit bad behavior. Definitely check those typical tune-up components .

I would also check the intake manifold gasket. Even if it isn't from the model years that usually exhibit this problem. This was a symptom my car had when the intake manifold went south.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 160,000km on my 1998 V6 3.2 DOHC. And I hope the engine is as good as my Ford falcon 4.1 litre was, at 340,000km it was still going strong, no oil usage and no oil burning when I sold it.
I maintain my vehicles, but the Isuzi is a higher maintenace item than what the Falcon was.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
one of my dads hunting buddies has a 87 trooper with 275k on it and it still runs good. but ask yourself if the truck is worth the cost of a rebuild to you. if not, its time to go down to the dealership

1 - 9 of 9 Posts