Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note: Long post, cliff notes at bottom.

I thought I would post up my latest experience with TreadWright for you all to read. I am just posting MY Experience. I hope this will help others when it comes time to buy tires and they consider TreadWright.

Exactly 1 week ago I ordered a set of 265/75/16 Guard Dog Load Rance C from TW. They called me on Monday and said, we know the website says 2-3 week wait but we believe it will take longer because we are currently out of those casings. I was pretty disappointed as I was planning on some doing some other things, really wanted the guard dogs, and was possibly selling tires to a friend who needed them ASAP. We discussed a couple of alternatives and due to the climate I live in with lots of snow it was decided to run their Warden 265/75/16 Load Range C. (Note, they do not list this on their website and when I emailed them the week before they said they did not offer that style in a Load Range / Size I needed but on the phone they said they had them. I was a little skeptical I would get the load range I needed so I held my breath.)

Well they shipped them right after our conversation and they arrived today, only two days later. I asked for all matching casings and said ship any matching set but I would prefer BFG AT's since that is the tread that would match but to ship any fully matching set they had. They sent me Goodyear Wrangler Casings in the load range and size I needed. Ya!

Super excited and pretty pumped I threw them on immediately. Put the rear ones on, they look great. Move to the front put one side on, now I am getting super excited. The last tire I go to put on just will not balance. I was over 12 oz of weight and it still wouldn't balance. I know they have a guarantee that it wont take more than 8 oz so by this time I am mad and dissapointed. My friend had an idea to try the spare tire rim with that tire. Swapped them around and go to balance it, 5 oz on one side and 1.5 on the other or something almost exactly like that the first time around. In the end it ended up needing about 7.25 total ozs to balance and the other rim does seem to have a wobble so it will be staying on the back as a spare from now on.

So after finally getting all the tires on and balanced, I go for a test drive. The annoying vibration I had is now gone, probably due to the fact the wobbly wheel is no longer in play. I got up to around 65-70 and they felt solid. I probably will not be going that fast on the highway with them that often but needed to see how they felt. They feel super grippy and noticeably more heavy than my 245/75 Toyo Open Countries, but I did go up quite a bit size wise and I believe the Retreads weigh a little more than the others would would. Turning and going slowly they feel pretty aggressive and once again sticky!

My friend who was with me was wanting to order a set of their 31x10.5 for his Jeep so I asked him after he saw me spend an extra 45 minutes trying to get a wheel to balance if he would was still planning on buying them from TreadWright. His response was depending on availabilty yes. When i asked him about the weight needed to balance one of the tires he pointed out that it did come in under their 8oz guarantee so yes.

In the end, I would buy them again. I have mounted and balanced a few sets of their tires now and there always seems to be 1-2 tires per set that needs 5-7.5 oz of weights to balance correctly. Seems like a lot of weight but then again these are 32 inch tires and the ones that I have seen balanced have been E load range. Their customer service is also fantastic and not to mention their shipping is ridiculously fast.

The FedEx guys were admiring them and were asking lots of questions. They said after seeing how great of a tire they were they would be interested in buying them especially when they heard the price.

Cliff notes:
Ordered Guard Dogs, TreadWright said it would be a long time. Offered me an un advertised tire and I buy it. One wheel was bent so that added time and frustration. One tire took 7.25oz of total weight to balance. Would buy tires from them again.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Where's your pics?????? :p

Treadwright tires are heavy tires, it's not just the 32" size.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tomorrow I will snap some! So busy and tired from today, I also threw on my beefy shackles and cranked the front up and also had to cut my front bumper due to rubbing issues!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
So, you CAN get the Warden tread (BFG A/T knockoff) sized 265/75-16 in load range C?

That's good news for me. :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
So you balance your own tires? That would come in handy. Question for you since you know what you're doing, when you read the note that says static balace only or the warranty is void how do you balance them? I read that static requires weights on one side. I really don't know due to the fact that I've balanced 4 tires in my entire life. When they balanced my tires the first time they balanced them "dynamic." When they did that it took an a$$load of weight. After reading on the difference of the two balancing types I took them back and asked them to static balance them as per the inclosed note I gave them. Took a lot less weight. Anything you can tell me will be knowledge gained.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sags said:
So, you CAN get the Warden tread (BFG A/T knockoff) sized 265/75-16 in load range C?

That's good news for me. :D
Not sure...they dont list them and when I emailed them they said they didnt have them. Only on the phone did they say they had them after checking inventory.

grobrooks said:
So you balance your own tires? That would come in handy. Question for you since you know what you're doing, when you read the note that says static balace only or the warranty is void how do you balance them? I read that static requires weights on one side. I really don't know due to the fact that I've balanced 4 tires in my entire life. When they balanced my tires the first time they balanced them "dynamic." When they did that it took an a$$load of weight. After reading on the difference of the two balancing types I took them back and asked them to static balance them as per the inclosed note I gave them. Took a lot less weight. Anything you can tell me will be knowledge gained.
Edit: After reading some I am a little confused on balancing static vs dynamic. I did what they asked and put half the weights on one side and the other half on the opposite side. I think its static...maybe I dont know that much... :roll:

Here are some pics...note I had to lift 1.5 inches and trim the front plastic piece on my fender to stuff these in.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well, after I contacted TW I'm totally confused. Their version of static balancing is if the tire needs 5oz to balance you put 2.5oz frontside and 2.5oz backside in the same location. This is what I found looking at how to static balance on the Hunter GSP9700s website: http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/technical/4202T/6GLOS003.cfm . Who knows, she said if it drives fine let it ride. I've been on mine since February and it rides smooth so I'm letting it go. I guess if yours does too its fine. They look really good on the Rodeo by the way.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmnn...that is interesting. I balance all my tires the same way and never have an issue with them. I guess I am balancing them Dynamic and thought it was Static. That is probably why it took 7.25 oz. I will do some research on this, I never touch the machine settings except for size, spacing, width, etc.

But they ride smooth, a whole lot better than what it used to be and I am guessing its because the wobbly wheel is also gone :p But I will play around with the machine and read the manual.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am playing around with finding the perfect PSI for these Load Range C's. What is everyone else running in a C tire? I started high and am working my way down with 50 being max inflation pressure I started at 40 and now at 37. I know there is a way to figure it out with math, anyone have a formula?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I like the chalk method.

Chalk your tread from shoulder-to-shoulder, roll forward/backward a few times on a smooth flat surface & check chalk line.
If the center is more warn then ends - psi high.
If the center is less warn then ends - psi low.
If the chalk wear is even - psi perfect.

As you increase load the tread center will buckle more inward, increasing psi combats this.

I think everyone should have three sets of psi figures for their tires (and re-figure them at purchase of new tires);
1. Trail/snow
2. Daily driver
3. Truck loaded to max weight.

Trail/snow should be figured for longest footprint without loosing bead seat, while dd & max should be figured by chalk line.

~psguardian

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Way too much air! I always start at the door sticker. If it says 35 for a 245x16 then I would run a little less in the larger tire 265x16. It has more volume to support the same weight so less pressure is needed. On my 1st gen Trooper stock is 35 psi in a 235/70rx15 I run 28-30 in a 31x1050 or 32x11.50. Super big load on the truck might bump up to 35psi. The sidewall rating on those 16's are for a full sized pick up which is much heavier than your truck.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes it is way too much air. Just wanted to start high and work my way down. Planning on going down to 32 today and then continue down until I find the perfect pressure.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Agreed, 50 in a C on a ~4k lb vehicle is high. Since sidewall & door sticker are only accurate with stock size (and only a ballpark even then), I started looking for other ways ro find proper inflation. The chalk line seems the best I've found.

~psguardian

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ian1006 said:
Edit: After reading some I am a little confused on balancing static vs dynamic. I did what they asked and put half the weights on one side and the other half on the opposite side. I think its static...maybe I dont know that much... :roll:

Here are some pics...note I had to lift 1.5 inches and trim the front plastic piece on my fender to stuff these in.

When I bought my new tires and they were balancing, the guy used the inner side only, so I asked him why didn't he use the outer side of the wheel and he told me that aluminum wheels are supposed to be balanced on the inside only, is this true or was he just guessing??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.