Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making this thread to document my assembly of a round eye grille on my 90 Trooper. This may be a little slow for some, but I will update it as progress is made.

To give you a little history of me and the round eye conversion. It dates back to 97 in my home town of Shiloh NC, on a back road I had noticed a 84ish 2 door about 20 feet in to the woods. Trees grown up all around it, abandoned, left to rot. I continued to keep an eye on it. Around 99 I found out who owned the property and got permission to take what I wanted. Almost everything was bad, except the grille setup....score. I removed everything I needed and put it in a box for safekeeping. Well things got busy and I hadn't installed it yet when we moved in 03. Sometime around 05 I got an itch to install it, but where was it? I looked everywhere before deciding it must have gotten lost in the move......argh. So here we are today.

The first parts I acquired I'd like to thank 90mx5texas for, the new JDM marker lights

no work required for these parts

The next parts I got, I'd like to thank Van for. He randomly sent me a pm saying he'd seen where I was looking for a set of headlight buckets and there were some at his local junk yard. Thanks again, you went out of your way to help me out. 1st class in my book.

while these wouldn't require work, I'm going to refinish them.

disassembled

wire brushed, thoroughly washed, dried and ready for primer, paint and clear coats

more to come, but this is a good start.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
That'll be a great addition to your 1st Gen.
That JDM marker is a very rare things a year ago. But now it's suddenly appears all over the world.
That's makes the "usual" marker a rare things.

Wonder if you can send me the old sign marker to my country :D

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here soon I'll have some spares laying around, but they'll be for the square headlights.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
props to "imamonstertruck" for the idea on the painted trim ring also thanks for the heads up on using some clear ian :D

I'm not going to win any awards for paint, but she's got a coat of primer, color and clear, rustoleum of course

Hopefully my grille will be hitting the mail today headed this way, looks like I'm going to have to learn how to plastic weld. Thanks to "**********" for posting that how to video, that's my tutorial :lol:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scored this on ebay, I'm almost going to hate taking it out of the package. Notice how GM added their sticker :evil:

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
That is gonna look awesome!!! Killer job in painting the rings, looks great! You should see mine, the sun has turned them pink due to no clear coat :oops: ...
Looking forward to the culmination of this project..
All thumbs up! :D
cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ian, it might slow down a tad after the grille shows up. Hopefully I'm a quick learner with the whole plastic welding thing, all the tabs are broke :lol:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
foytiX said:
Scored this on ebay, I'm almost going to hate taking it out of the package. Notice how GM added their sticker :evil:
Whoa... I need the seller address :D

foytiX said:
Here soon I'll have some spares laying around, but they'll be for the square headlights.
Yup, I want that for my HiRoof, it'll stay with square headlights setup.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the grille showed up today. It needs a little love and I don't have the tools quite yet, so all I can do for now is drool. If I'm not mistaken the only items I now lack are some bulbs, harness, and plastic clips (all avail from auto parts store) :D

Thanks to TrooperChris for responding to my "wtb 84-86 grille" thread, hooking me up with a good price, and getting her shipped out safe and quick. :wink:

all four are looking like this, should be fairly easy though because just the flat sections are broken out.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nfpgasmask said:
Awesome score on the emblem!! I actually have emblems for both my round eye grills, but a new one would be sweet!!

Bart
1st time a bug hits it I think I might throw up a little :sad2:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked these up today in hopes I'll have time to do the grille swap before this weekends wheeling trip ( like I don't have enough to do already ).

If I don't have time, I may take the bulbs back and get these. :D

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D i love the round head lamp look 8) recon

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So it's messy outside, and I felt like doing a little repair on the grille.

All four of my upper tabs look like this.....non-existent :lol:

I picked up one of these "airless mini welders" for the job......and many more I'm sure

Since there was nothing there. I set it up on a smooth flat surface and put some foil tape along the back to help shape it into position. Turned the welder on and pretty much filled her up.

After letting it cool off, I removed the tape and she's ready for grinding down some

Ground some of the excess off and drilled new holes....yea they're pretty ugly, but once painted and installed you won't even notice :D

Now I need to pressure wash, dry, scuff up and paint..... all that will have to wait for a sunny day :D Its currently misting with 30 mph gusts :shock:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
OMG I hate you.
Not really. Been looking for one of those forever.
Nice score.
Jay

ubs_lover said:
foytiX said:
Whoa... I need the seller address :D

foytiX said:
Yup, I want that for my HiRoof, it'll stay with square headlights setup.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
91Troop said:
Looks like you're coming along nicely with that project. Were did you get the plastic welder from and how much $?
Ebay, I think the kit was 160 +/-

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jay said:
OMG I hate you.
Not really. Been looking for one of those forever.
Nice score.
Jay
Hahaha, no hard feelings man. Just pure luck I came across it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.