Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aquarillis said:
My '01 Rodeo will intermittently shut off when I drive over anything bumpy, especially train tracks. What happens is the engine shuts off, and the power steering pressure goes down, and I only have so much pressure in the brake system before I have to use the e-brake strategically to safely stop.

I've been having transmission problems before, but my car never shut off. I think it might be poor wiring connections, but I thought I'd ask here before I start taking stuff apart.

Thank you
How do you get it started back up again ?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i think you are correct about a wiring problem , i would start checking all wire connections , both hot and grounds , and sensor plugs , also check vacuum hoses. i will add don't just jiggle the connectors , you have to remove them and plug them back in , the same with hot wires and grounds , you must loosen them and then tighten them . disconnect the battery before doing anything.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
its one of those deals that you just have to start unpluging connectors on the engine , ecu , tighten up gnd wires , make sure the fuses are all snug , it may take a couple hours. even the plugs under the center console .

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have you changed anything recently? I use to swap relays for my a/c. I put the headlight relay in the a/c thermo spot. Then.. one day.. the rodeo wouldn't turn on! The lights died, etc.. Turns out the ground on the relay box got loose from all the plugging/unplugging.

Start in the big areas first. Relay box, grounds on any aftermarket items, battery, etc.. and work your way to the small stuff.

Heck, could you start it and jiggle wires to see if that kills it? That might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had a similar problem.. It turned out the positive end of the battery was loose. Not on the battery itself but the connector. It was only a little loose, enough for me to spin it around about a few cm in each direction. This was definitely why my car wouldn't start at times.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any progress on this ?

Logic would tell you that it is a loose connection somewhere. Not just corroded.

Otherwise the problem would not only occur when going over a bump.

And the most logical way to find the bad connection is to have the truck running, and just start shaking wires.

You can "clean" most spade type connections by simply unplugging them and plugging them back in, several times.

I would suggest that every connection you take apart, you clean it up, and then add some silicone grease.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my rodeo had that prob.ended up being a short in the wiring harness and it was a bear to find.the wiring in mine runs in front of the radiator and rubbing caused a short.also have had trouble with the relay's switches they should be replaced periodicly it can cause some major headaches.good luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
ive had this on two occasions. MY trooper for some reason had a ****ty ground, so i made a new one and then it was fine.
the second occasion was on my old mustang, it turned out that the wire going from the coil to the distributor was just a little bit loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.