Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been planning this for a while, been collecting the material that I thought I might use, borrowed my father-N-Laws's welder and finally got around to starting it.

I've basically followed Joe D's lead on the basic shape, throwing in a few details of my own. Thanks for the inspiration Joe!

Pictures aren't the greatest but here are the details of the build so far.

I started by dropping the spare and pulling off the cladding. Got a face full of dirt in the process...... :roll: It did give the opportunity to look more closely at things, I'm going to need to clean up some rusty spots around the spare tire carrier before I put everything back together, that's for sure!

I haven't welded since I was in high school shop class, so I basically had to re-learn to weld......and I'm still learning throughout the course of this project. The good thing about ugly welds, grinding wheels make them look purdy!

Here is the basic part of the build, a piece of structural steel rescued from the dumpster. I drug this big chunk and it's twin all the way from California with me! They were originally going to be Trooper bumpers. The receiver hitches are something I've kicked around for a while. The regular 2" in the center, two 1 1/4" for the outsides. 2" to be used as a hitch, the smaller ones will be used for d rings, a cargo tray mount, winch mount, jack points, you name it.

Pretty crude but just the layout

For the side body armor plates, I used some 1/4" plate steel that we had in the scrap pile on the job I'm on now. I cut it down to 1'x2' pieces and tacked on some bolts to mount the factory mounts to. They slid on just like the factory pieces. I trimmed them to the angle I wanted, then used a cut off wheel to groove them enough to bend the taper. A small piece of store bought angle iron was welded along the top to fill the gap between the body. (I looked but could not find any scrap for this application)

Passenger side:

Drivers side:

I then notched in the spots I want to put the receivers. I tacked them into place for moch up. I used a Harbor Freight portable band saw to do the cutting, this sucker is thick and heavy, probably 1/4" thick!

I mocked it up again and marked my cuts. Cut it to shape to match the side armor.

For the mounts, I came up with the idea to use channel steel to slide inside the frame like the factory bumper mounts. To achieve this, I got a piece from the local welding supply store, cut it and notched it to slide in the frame, then cut and notched the bumper so it would tie into the bumper and slide over the back part of the small receivers. That way, with the d rings in the receivers, it'll be a direct pull on the frame. Some salvaged plate steel is along the bottom of the frame for additional support. I had to cut the factory tie down off to do this.

Not good pictures but here are some of the bumper with the mounts

I also welded on some scarp plate to fill in the area beneath the tail lights. I plan to add some addition details to make it flow with the factory body lines. The area under the tail gate will be filled too. I think that there will be enough room between the tailgate and the spare tire to make a small tray for things just inside the door. I opted not to step it out like the factory cladding so I can add a swing away tire carrier at a later date. I want to make the swing away removable to save weight when not in use.

I still need to do quite a bit but it's getting there! I'm learning along the way and hope to have a nice quality bumper at a low cost! So far I've spent as much on cut off wheels as I have steel!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll post up as I make more progress.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Looks good Joe. :wink:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Looking good :wink: Great project

·
Registered
676 Posts
Cronk your truck keeps gettin better and better! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jeremy_worden said:
i like how it looks all " zombie killer" :lol:
What can I say, I want to be prepared! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Made a little more progress today until I ran out of welding wire.

Cut the access for the pins. Also cut a piece of metal for safety chains to hook to. I still need to finish welding everything in and add some metal to close the gaps. I'll have to pick back up later though.

Here's a shot of the underside, where I'll tie the bumper beneath the frame. I need to add more steel but this will be welded in behind the small receivers and slide beneath the frame to be bolted up through where the other pieces slide inside the frame and will be bolted across.

Here is another shot of the plate, you can also see some of my rust.

Accidentally won this on e-bay. Only bid up to $225 because I figured I could make my own for that price. High bidder failed to read local pickup only, backed out...... Seller told me it was mine for the price I put in, if I wanted it. Of course I did! I'll go down and pick it up in a few weeks. I'll likely need to modify it but it should mount perfectly in the area beneath the tail lights! Comes with all the brackets and the cover. Cover has license plate light too! Not sure I'll use the cover though.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
BAMF said:
Nice Cronk it's looking beefy as heck! keep up the goo work. What color is it going to be?
PINK?.....or are too sissy...to man up to a pink bumper :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
yea my rear bumper is 1/4' thick too, its really handy on the oddest occasions to have a beefy rear :)

i guess ill need to post some pics of my front bumper im makin (started today) im makin it out of 10in diamter channel iron that 1/4' thick. also its galvonized (horrible speller) so my lungs appreciate all the work ive been doing.

and all this fun for a good winch bumper for cheap.

love you ride

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Looks like a great start to a first welding project. I was concerned about pin access and then got to the part where you cut access openings. From my own experience I will advise you to put a good effort into smoothing out the openings and all areas around the openings for the pin access.

Nine times out of ten you are going to be groping around by feel down there trying to get the pin and retainer in place and if there is a rough edge anywhere down there you will find it!!

Cut myself three times before I conceded and removed and fixed one of the bumpers I made for a CJ7 I use to have.

Keep up the good fight!! :lol:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I guess it's a little late to say something stupid like "well at least if you do that cronkover thing again you can hold the floor joists up". You cut that part off already. I do think you need to get a mooneyes sticker for it to commemorate the pain and suffering this project has caused.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0rDuc8Ecbqk/S ... oneyes.jpg

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/shop/

Looks like you are doing a fine job there Mr. Cronk. I pity the fool that runs into that bumper!

One suggestion though. Assuming you are right handed. If you want the ultimate off road bumper. Mount a bench vice on the far right hand side of it. That allows use of a saw on things clamped in the vice. Also add tie-down rings on the end caps like mine has.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm hoping it'll take a hit.

Bansil, If I paint it with tinted Red oxide primer and take a picture, will that count? I might do a two tone scheme in pink acrylic at some point for breast cancer awareness.

Good advice Mike, I bust my knuckles on everything anyway, don't need sharp edges to help the process. I do plan to hit it with a die grinder when I'm done. I had considered leaving the receivers sticking out a bit so I didn't need to do the access cuts but compromised because they'd stick out more than I wanted. I may regret that one day when it's packed full of mud.

I like the vice idea Squatch! I'm going to use that. The tie downs would come in handy too, I may have to incorporate some into the process. It's funny, the wounds only make me appreciate the bumper that much more! Do you think I should count my health insurance co-pay into the cost of the bumper? I actually found some tiny off road RC stickers that I was considering putting across my back window, I might just stick a moon decal on there since you suggested it.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I had a bench vice on the flat top front bumper of my Powerwagon. It really did get a lot of use. On Red Beans I would like to make a vice mount that plugs into the receiver. That's another option. It's on the list with a thousand other things. If you mount it on the bumper visuaize cutting stuff with a hack saw and make room for the overhang and saw swing. I'm right handed so mine was mounted on the drivers side top end.

I sure was thinking about that vice Memorial day weekend at GWNF. Hack blew a carrier bearing in his driveshaft. It would have been nice to have a vice when we were trying to break loose that staked nut on the U joint flange. The corner of my trailer and several hands got the job done in camp

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
cronk said:
Yeah, I'm hoping it'll take a hit.

Bansil, If I paint it with tinted Red oxide primer and take a picture, will that count? I might do a two tone scheme in pink acrylic at some point for breast cancer awareness.
:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.