Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will add updates in this post.

Bought 1998 Trooper with 137,XXX miles on the clock.

Due to driving habits and small maintenance needing done, I only got 12 MPG to start off with, however, I had a second car I used as a daily driver, so it didn't concern me. I have sold the second car since, and now better MPG has been my focus. Furthermore, keeping decent MPG while doing modifications to it's capabilities.
I have also found through odometer readings and mile markers, that I also am truly driving approx. 1/10 of a mile farther for every 1 mile the odometer reads. This change will not be taken into account for these reports, I will only do odometer read miles/gallons filled for this.
The engine burns about 1 quart of oil per fill up currently ~300 miles. It receives an oil change every 3k miles. Penzoil 15-30
I also run a Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment or a Pint of Seafoam every 10 or so fuel fill ups.
Furthermore, these MPG results are very highway/city mixed. I do nearly the same commute every week. Some highway, some traffic.
If there is any driving done whilst towing or a "road trip" then those readings will not be posted, or may be with a note of such.
Here it goes...
Started - 12MPG
Cleaned EGR (due to code) - 12MPG
Changed tires from OEM to 265/70/16 Pathfinder A/T
Changed Air Filter/Checked Tire Pressure - 14 MPG
Changed Driving Habits - 15.3 MPG
NOTE: This was the hardest, yet most efficient thing I have done yet, I am currently, the epitome of that annoying/slow accelerator. But, I'm saving money.
Seafoam crankcase treatment before next Oil Change
Oil changed from that with Shell Rotella 15W-40 - Awaiting results
New cheap Air Filter replaced with K&N - Awaiting Results
NOTE: Due to the "newness" of the cheap Air Filter, the results of the K&N will be fairly accurate to whether or not K&N's marketing is fair. (For me)
New Spark Plugs - To be installed approx. 2 Gas Tanks after K&N results so as not to add another factor in the comparison.

·
Registered
347 Posts
When was the last time your spark plugs were changed? Take a look at those, actually, just go ahead and replace them. See if any oil is in the wells also.. You could have a leaking valve cover gasket possibly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nathan08T said:
When was the last time your spark plugs were changed? Take a look at those, actually, just go ahead and replace them. See if any oil is in the wells also.. You could have a leaking valve cover gasket possibly.
Those are to be installed sometime after the K&N.
I have them already, as you might read on the first post. Am waiting.

They were replaced less than 70k Miles ago, however.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.