Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well iv had a few Isuzu's for beaters but this is my baby :) Iv had the VR4 for about 3 years now and she has come so far, I got her completely stock with 78k miles on it. it is just about to hit 98k miles now. i drive it pretty much every day to work and she performs beautifully, I will be keeping it for a LOOOONG time. Im working on getting the parts now for upgrading the turbos. I will be going with billet dr650 turbos. Should be in the 600 hp range on pump gas :-D i cant wait! but anyway, these are the mods I have done so far

Exterior :
-shaved rear wiper, antenna, and spoiler
-VIS carbon fiber evo style hood
-Aerocatch locking hood pins
-15% tint all around
-jet black paint
-charcoal grey decals (each one adds 5hp :lol: )

Wheels/ tires:
-Rayz R74 wheels 18x8 all around finished in charcoal grey
-BFG G-force KDW tires 245 in front, 275 in rear
-drilled brake rotors

Suspension:
-KYB struts
-Tien S-tech lowering springs

Performance:
-MP racing solid motor mounts
-K&N intake
-Greddy RS bov
-Hallman pro boost controller (14.5 psi)
-Dejon pre-turbo pipes
-3SX intake y-pipe
-3SX EGR delete
-3SX underdrive pulley
-CX racing tubular manifold
-3SX downpipe
-3SX pre-cat delete pipes
-3SX test pipe
-IPS single shot cat back
-HKS carbon TI muffler
-Walbro 255 fuel pump
-3SX hotwire kit

Interior/ electronics:
-WOT box
-Blitz turbo timer
-JVC headunit
-Kenwood speakers
-Kicker 10"sub
-Charcoal interior conversion (use to be light grey)
-everything behind driver seat gutted (save weight)
-custom short shifter

and I think thats it lol im probly forgeting some stuff, here are some pics as well :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
:shock: :D :D :D Beautiful! Really well done. Love the look of the tires. The motor is gorgeous!! Really nice car.

The 3000GT is my son's favorite car. I gotta show him yours. He couldn't find one and bought a BMW instead but he's still looking...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Griz said:
:shock: :D :D :D Beautiful! Really well done. Love the look of the tires. The motor is gorgeous!! Really nice car.

The 3000GT is my son's favorite car. I gotta show him yours. He couldn't find one and bought a BMW instead but he's still looking...
Thanks! yeah they are awesome cars! and now is the time to try and pick one up cuz they are only going up in price when they are getting older and more rare!

·
Registered
546 Posts
God, your car just made me miss my beloved 97 VR-4 all the much more. Mine was Black with a Tan interior and I bought her with 28k miles on the clock some time ago lol. I didn't get as extreme as you did with the mods, but I did a few little things here or there; turbo back exhaust(dual exit like factory), intake, 15G turbos (Back when the DR650's were the ****), 550cc injectors, Supra fuel pump, E-manage, and I ran it up to 17psi. Heck, I even had the first series of Tien Coilovers made before more companies joined in. I ate through tires rather quickly tho.

Still my favorite Japanese "super car" to this day, and I was hooked ever since I was 15 and got a ride in a 91 Stealth TT. These are hands down the most under-estimated and under appreciated cars in that segment.

Beautiful 3/S, that's for sure. I always wondered what they would look like wingless. 8) Just do me a favor and leave that first gen nose on with its pop-up headlights. I see way too many 99 conversions on the first gens, and they don't look right to me. What you do need is the W6MG1 transmission swap with matching rear diff. :D (yes, I am partial to the 6spd)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ImpulseRocket89 said:
God, your car just made me miss my beloved 97 VR-4 all the much more. Mine was Black with a Tan interior and I bought her with 28k miles on the clock some time ago lol. I didn't get as extreme as you did with the mods, but I did a few little things here or there; turbo back exhaust(dual exit like factory), intake, 15G turbos (Back when the DR650's were the s---), 550cc injectors, Supra fuel pump, E-manage, and I ran it up to 17psi. Heck, I even had the first series of Tien Coilovers made before more companies joined in. I ate through tires rather quickly tho.

Still my favorite Japanese "super car" to this day, and I was hooked ever since I was 15 and got a ride in a 91 Stealth TT. These are hands down the most under-estimated and under appreciated cars in that segment.

Beautiful 3/S, that's for sure. I always wondered what they would look like wingless. 8) Just do me a favor and leave that first gen nose on with its pop-up headlights. I see way too many 99 conversions on the first gens, and they don't look right to me. What you do need is the W6MG1 transmission swap with matching rear diff. :D (yes, I am partial to the 6spd)
yeah man they are EXTREMELY under estimated. people always go crazy for supras but what they dont understand is that a vr4 is pretty much the same thing except AWD! i love having the AWD it makes all the difference in racing. im not pushing a whole lot of hp but because i lightened it up and its AWD, i can own 11 second cars on the street :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here are a few videos of my car as well...

and heres a video i made with me and my friends cars (i need to make a new one with me on full boost :wink: ) btw the M3 is actually my moms! and yes she races it and she knows i race and beat it too haha

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Gorgeous GT! I've always liked them. Had a little dream to build a Stealth painted Viper Blue with white stripes, on SRT10 style wheels and totally built. A buddy of mine had one in school that had mods fairly similar to yours and it was a blast to drive. I'm with Impulse, 1st gen front looks great. I've always liked this rear bumper:

And I'm diggin the GTO badge on the rear
:wink:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Reminds me of the days of 150 mph down the new Casey highway in Pennsylvania coming from scranton in a '94 SL

My buddy's car had a ported 6G74 motor in it, with an exhaust cut out... that bitch would FLY. It was also pretty good in snow :shock:

What I don't miss was the crappy synchros in the gearboxes but hell those pigs are heavy and FUN.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ruination said:
What I don't miss was the crappy synchros in the gearboxes but hell those pigs are heavy and FUN.
I got really used to hearing both of these a lot when I owned mine. Now for the facts.

First, the Syncros weren't crappy at all. All of the stuff people spout off about these transmissions being weak and unreliable is a load of rubbish. These transmissions are actually immensely strong, but thanks to some underhanded dealing between Mitsubishi and Getrag no service information or parts were made available for the W5MG1 and W6MG1 transmission to the public or any other garages. Essentially, Mitsubishi agreed to not release any of this so all transmission problems would only be resolved with a new transmission, which HAD to be bought from Mitsubishi because nobody else could rebuild them (because they had no parts or service info to do rebuilds). Both companies were actually fined a large ammount of money and forced to release parts and information after a class action lawsuit.

The only real weak spot on either of those transmissions is in the 5spd's and its entirely the fault of the transfer case housing, which due to its 5 bolt design would flex under high load and cause faulures. This problem was resolved with the 6spd transmission.

Now for the whole "heavy" thing. Yes, compared to other cars in its class, it was a bit of a porker. 3800lbs compared to 3500-3600 for the Supra TT and 300ZX. Want to know the difference between these cars and those? Toyota and Nissan went through measures to keep the weight down on thier cars. Aluminum hoods, lighter weight bumper re-enforcements etc. Mitsubishi was going to do all that, but then decided they would just go out for lunch instead. Fact is, a Typical VR-4 loses upwards of 300lbs when its modified. I can give you a list, if you like, of how to drop about 700lbs from one, and still retain carpet, Power windows/locks, and AC. The stock hood weighs over 70lbs (Supra hood weighs about 22). A typical turbo back exhaust upgrade drops OVER 30lbs from the car alone. I can keep going. :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
If the driver stops eating all those philly cheese steaks, that can shave alot of weight too :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.