Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is "Chubs" my '89 Specialized RockCombo. Dirt drop bar standard. I bought this new when working in a shop. Being an old roadie that loved dirt this was my dream bike at the time. A drop bar Mt bike. Still is after all these years in many ways. At the time they said there was only 3000 being made but these days the 'net reports only 500 were made. Who knows for sure. Most folks have never heard of one let alone seen one. Ned Overend actually raced on one of these for a while.

The story at the time was that a product manager at Specialized had a 30 mile fire road commute to work and designed this bike for that. It excels at that. Geometry is basically road bike with a long rear triangle.

Originally it was equipped with a mix of Specialized house brand parts and Suntour XC6000 components. most long since worn out and replaced with mostly Suntour XC Pro grease guard componets,
Suntour Command drop bar shifters,
Mathauser brake pads,
Blackburn expedition rear rack + low rider front when needed,
Blackburn expedition bottle cages,
SR Low Fat pedals with Mt cages and Rhode Gear toe straps,
and a Brooks Conquest sprung saddle.
I have 2 identical sets of wheels that I built. 1 with 1.95 knobbies and one with 1.25 slicks.
2 sets of handle bars. 1 is the original Specialized Dirt Drop. The other is a Scott AT3LF.

Flat bars and knobbies.

Drop bars and slicks.

These little gizmos came from Bruce Gordon Cycles. They were made for His Rock+road bike. They allow you to have 2 sets of handle bars set up including cables so they can be changed in moments keeping the gears adjusted after the bar change. The brake cables bosses are slotted and that works the same.

The gear cables just screw together.

Having 2 sets of bars and 2 sets of wheels means I can make 4 different types of bike out of this one bike. The transition only takes a few minutes. Each configuration has it's own feel and rides very well.

Drop bars and knobbies. (off road touring)

Showing the command shifters. They work awesome and predate STI by a while, lighter too.

Drop bars and slicks. (road touring)

Flat bars and slicks (road hybrid)

Flat bars and knobbies (mountain bike)

I have a full set of Panniers I made many years ago from Frostline kits and upgraded them with compression straps and HD mounting for off road use. The Cannondale seat and handlebar bag were purchased in the late '70s before Cannondale made bicycles! All have had a good bit of use.

This bike has a blue bazillion miles on it. Many tours both on road and off. I've commuted on it. Done hard core mountain biking on it. When it was new I pulled my baby son in a bugger behind it while Mom rode behind and entertained him. He is about to graduate college now and I'm still riding this bike. It's special. When the Zombie apocalypse comes it will be loaded and on my truck. When the truck won't go any further I'll be on the bike!

Funny thing is I read reviews on the new Salsa Fargo and they say nothing like it has ever been made before. Only real difference is the wheel size! That will probably be my next bike.

Hope you enjoy the pics and story.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The bike for all occasions. 8)

I ride a '90's Diamondback Sorrento. Well, that is, I ought to ride it. My 13 and 15 year olds have been giving it a work out this last year. I just got my 15 year old a Trek 8?0 (which I don't really like as much as the Diamondback as the shocks make it heavier.)

Love that seat! What is that knob on the headset when the dropdowns are installed?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AudioRedneck said:
The bike for all occasions. 8)

Love that seat! What is that knob on the headset when the dropdowns are installed?
A trail bell. I ride rail trails a good bit when I ride these days. The pleasant and polite way to let folks know you are coming up on them. Ding ding!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Thats crazy. On the two forums I follow religiously, the two guys I most look forward to their threads, post pictures of their "old school" bikes on the same day! What are the chances???

But his only has around 2,600 original miles...

·
Registered
484 Posts
N law said:
Thats crazy. On the two forums I follow religiously, the two guys I most look forward to their threads, post pictures of their "old school" bikes on the same day! What are the chances???

I don't think I like this seat as much. :shock:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
N law said:
Probably pretty good if they are on both forums! LOL

Nice old coaster bike. But it needs a Brooks saddle like a B66 or this B190.
http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/double-a ... ddles/b190

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually took the old girl out for a nice rail trail ride after work this evening.

Had another one of my zillion stung by bee on bike events. Flew up my right hand short sleeve on my jersey. Yellow jacket! Little b*****d got me 4 times underneath my upper arm before I could reach in a grab it. About a 3"x4" area. Tender as all get out and now it's itching all the way down to my elbow.

Part of the game when you ride. I've had them in my eyes, mouth, inside my shirt. Had a hornet get caught between my right thumb and the brake lever on my road bike one time on a fast down hill. Stung me 7 times in the knuckle of my right thumb before I could shake it off. Felt like somebody was putting out a cigar on my thumb. 20 minutes later I was numb like I had Novocaine all the way to my shoulder. That one was extra fun!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got this old jewel out for my 1st ride of the year last Thursday. I went with a couple of buds from work to a rail trail near work. I managed to get a little over 12 miles in before dark. Supposed to be decent weather this week so I'm going to try to get 2 more rides in. I need to make the bike more of a priority in my life again these days. I've lost a little weight and have a deal with my doctor about staying off some meds if I can loose a few more so. Onward through the fog!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I really like it. Then again I really like unique bikes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wow! Seeing that Western Flyer odometer from Western Auto Supply takes me back to 1982, growing up in the pre-electronics age, when our bicycles meant everything!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I'd throw up some pics of another of my old school bikes. This is probably the newest bike I own. I have a lot of somewhat vintage equipment though it was new when I bought or built it. I must be getting old! :lol:
I've been riding a bit this year. More so than I have in a few years. Nothing like the old days but the cartilage in my knees and hips left the building back in '99! But now I'm far enough down the road that damn the torpedoes I'm gonna ride. If I have to get new knees so be it! That's coming anyway.

Anyway this bike I built up from a frameset around '95. It's a 1st gen Cannondale Delta V hardtail. I took pics before I washed it today. Mountain bikes are supposed to be dirty right?

With a light seat it's about 22lbs which was awesome light at the time for something that would carry my big self on technical trails and hold up. I built this bike to climb crazy steep technical stuff here locally. Long cranks real low gears ect. Last year I detuned it a bit as I'm no longer able to do much of that and really just do a workout ride on a local rail trail these days. It now works pretty well in that role. I added a Brooks Champion Flyer Special saddle and a new Thompson seat post. I own a few Brooks saddles but this one is the most heavenly to ride. No need for rear suspension with this.

I bought a stem with a more up-right position to help my arthritic back. And more normal sized chain rings than the tiny stuff I had before. This is a non compact drivetrain.
The drivetrain is Suntour XC Pro. With the exception of the SS brake bride bolts all the fasteners are titanium.
It has:
Litespeed titanium sealed bearing bottom bracket with titanium bolts..
Cook quality Products 181mm cranks (can you say long for climbing).
Vuelta chain rings with Titanium bolts. 24-36-48. It used to have SR ceramics in 24-34-44.

And Ritchey clipless pedals.

Dia-comp 987 brakes with Dia-comp titanium hardware kits and Aztec pads.
Magnesium brake bridges.
Scott AT2 Lite-flite handle bar cover with Grab on maxi grips.

Wheels I built with:
Hi-E hubs with Control Tech titanium skewers. These are some of the lightest hubs ever made. They were made by Harlan Myers in TN. He is no longer with us. RIP Many of the modern sealed hubs are out right copies of this design. I own a couple of sets all made to order. He also made and sold some of the lightest road rims ever made.
High flange rear, 36 hole freewheel style with a 13-32 Suntour freewheel.

Low flange front. 32 hole.

1st generation Mavic ceramic rims.
Spokes are 15/17 gauge Wheelsmith SS with alloy nipples.
2.1 Ritchey Z Max WCS tires.

This was a pretty high end bike back when I built it and it still rides like a dream. Yes this bike also has a wonderful silly trail bell.

The yellow seat bag above is also a Cannondale. When I bought it in '79 that's about all they made were bags and a kids trailer called a bugger. bikes were still a ways off for them at that time!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Very nice

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very cool, I grew up on old English 3 speeds. I learmed to rebuild Sturmy-Archer hubs in grade school. These days many would be surprised at how nice those old bikes ride. I'd rather have one of those than one of the expensive new "Comfort bikes" with the throw away drivetrains.

I also really like that antique sideboard it's leaning against. We havea lot of furniture like that.

Thanks VH.

I have a few more I could wite up I guess. :lol: This is most of the current collection in the "Museum"!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I ride my old Schwinn SuperStock Two BMX bike from when I was a teenager and used to ride trails and race BMX. It's a great bike and it is durable as hell. I need a new back rim and sprocket but that's because I am too old to do what I used to but I still try sometimes and it fails horribly lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts