Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's my new ride. (Well, the pic is not MY rig but mine looks EXACTLY like this one and my digi-cam sucks, sorry I know that's tacky)

It's a '96 w/210k miles and is in great condition and I got it cheap. Just one small problem, the transfer case is working fine but the hubs do not engage. I have front driveshaft movement but no axleshaft movement. It is a manual shift transfer case but the 4x4 dash light does not come on either, so after some research I have a couple questions.

Does it engage the hubs electronically or by vacuum? I know the '96 LS had shift on the fly, but mine is not an LS so I presume I still have part-time transfer case (which was my second question).

Overall I'm impressed, it's low-geared and has more grab handles than I've ever seen. I just want the 4x4 working before winter. Any help, advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The stock hubs have probably never been touched in their life... my guess is that they either are extremely dirty, or the teeth on the axles have been ground off on the end and they are failing to engage.

Pick up a set of Aisin manual hubs to replace them with. Matt at independent4x.com sells salvaged sets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reponse. Well after further research (this forum is great!), I've found that it IS the SOTF after verifying the option codes on the firewall, and is either a problem with the hubs not engaging due to crud like you mentioned or the vacuum actuator on the axle shaft. I've located it but haven't removed the cover plate yet to troubleshoot. Either way, I may go ahead and install manual hubs just to rule that out and save wear on the cv joints and boots. It sounds like they're pretty easy to swap from what I've read.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.