Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a company who will make clear headlight lenses for 1st gen Troopers with the rectangular headlights. The price would be $175 for a set of lenses and 20 of us need to commit or else it won't happen. Check out this link to see the fabulous quality of their work.

http://www.klearz.com/

If you want to do the HID conversion the right way, this is the way to go, in my opinion.

My contact person at Klearz needs half up front to do the project, and the rest on completion. I would be in for two sets so I hope that at least 18 of you want to do this.

I'm going to cross post this in Audio and Electronics so as to get the word out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
wow.. but why would it be so expensive for isuzu when they are selling for 65 a set of mustangs :( everyone hates us :( hate to say it, but i find nothing for aftermarket, but i love my trooper the way it is.

dunlap

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
That price isn't enough to entice me to commit but I am still impressed with your research.

Seems to me though, a person could convert to a round eye set and buy the HID rounds for less. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
stusvend said:
That price isn't enough to entice me to commit but I am still impressed with your research.

Seems to me though, a person could convert to a round eye set and buy the HID rounds for less. Just a thought.
You might be able to take your curent lenses to a glass shop, and have them smoothed and polished for less, as well.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know, not fair, but nothing I can do about it. They are the only company who showed any interest at all in making clear lenses.

wdunlap07 said:
wow.. but why would it be so expensive for isuzu when they are selling for 65 a set of mustangs :( everyone hates us :( hate to say it, but i find nothing for aftermarket, but i love my trooper the way it is.

dunlap

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a negative. Been there done that. No one will touch the project for many reasons. The main reasons is the lens is not flat. The second largest response is "we don't do that kind of stuff".

I started sanding down the inside of one lens but had to stop because my big 60 gal compressor tank sprung a leak, thanks to the previous owner NEVER draining the tank. arrggghhhh.

I've never sanded glass, so was dismayed and surprised to discover how hard it is. Gonna take a while.

Selador said:
stusvend said:

You might be able to take your curent lenses to a glass shop, and have them smoothed and polished for less, as well.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I suspect that no one will commit to this. Not surprising but still a bit disappointing. That's life, eh?

Until I get a nice round eye set up I'm going to proceed with the upgrade on the rectangular lens. Time is money, and $170 is worth it to me, all thing considered. I'm not rolling in dough, but my time grinding out and polishing the rectangular lens will be way more than $170. Even finding, buying, installing a round eye set up, then researching, buying and installing the proper HID projectors will be way more than $170.

Why do I want to do this? Because I want better lighting; I relish the challenge; no one has done it and I want to be the first. So there.

stusvend said:

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I got my roundeye set up from pull-a-part for $30 dollars. Here is a roundeye HID kit (I think the same one Jeremy got) for $60. I'm thinking you could definitely do it for less than $170. Just saying. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where is the round HID kit? Did a link get dropped?

stusvend said:
I got my roundeye set up from pull-a-part for $30 dollars. Here is a roundeye HID kit (I think the same one Jeremy got) for $60. I'm thinking you could definitely do it for less than $170. Just saying. :dontknow:

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Jay said:

stusvend said:
Oops yeah, forgot the link. I just went to ebay motors and searched HID on an '86 trooper.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay then. I'll check it out.

stusvend said:
Jay said:

stusvend said:
Oops yeah, forgot the link. I just went to ebay motors and searched HID on an '86 trooper.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
jay
why do you want to do a HID conversion? why not go with the round headlights and do it in halogen? try this link and read up on HID conversions.
Daniel Stern is the foremost authority on automobile lighting. if you email him a question, you'll get an arms length worth of explanation. i'm probably going to order round halogen lights from him. harness and all.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

cheers, john

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Briefly, HID is a better quality whiter light with less wattage draw.

I will check out the link, as I'm always interested in learning. Thanks.

A round headlight retrofit is in my Isuzu's future. Till then I'm playing with the HID upgrade idea on the rectangular headlight.

govno90 said:
jay
why do you want to do a HID conversion? why not go with the round headlights and do it in halogen? try this link and read up on HID conversions.
Daniel Stern is the foremost authority on automobile lighting. if you email him a question, you'll get an arms length worth of explanation. i'm probably going to order round halogen lights from him. harness and all.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

cheers, john

·
Registered
590 Posts
Jay said:
Till then I'm playing with the HID upgrade idea on the rectangular headlight.
HID Nation is having a sale on all their HID kits. I just put mine in earlier. Waiting for it to get dark and I will try to get some pics if you are interested.

this is the kit i got. 6000k
http://hidnation.com/90hilowhidki.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts