Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
jacks_s13.5 said:
That'd be great though to have to pull start your "turbo"!
ROFLMAO !!!

Oh man, I'm still laughing. Picturing having to open the hood and pull start the turbo before you start the car.

He he he he he

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
or just run a hose from your cabin to your intake and have the blower mounted where the center console was reach down and give it more throttle when you accelerate!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've been busy lately sanding out the rust inside the fender wells and patching the holes with fiberglass, might be a little late to ask this but if anyone has any tips on fiberglassing in an automotive sense feel free to let me know. The next step will be going crazy with some roll on bedliner, we plan on bedlining darn near the whole inside, the fender wells and up to the first body line. Does anyone know if we should use primer on some spots before we bedline? I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Alrite well just an update, We've fiberglassed almost all the holes in the body I think there are just 2 left we have to do but I'd like to layer the fiberglass at those spots to as thick as I can get it before I run out of cloth then my next step will be fixing some spots with a little bondo. So far the things on the to-do list that have gotten done are rims/tires, fiberglass body holes, and rims and tires. I hope soon to start replacing vacuum lines but while she was driving it the clutch slave cylinder went out but we got that replaced and after bleeding the clutch it feels better than it ever did before so I am happy about that.

Another update: I forgot to mention that her power steering is completely shot and there are 2 large puddles of P/S fluid on each side every time the trooper sits still for more than a couple of hours. I'm afraid the steering gear box is leaking and there is a leak in a hose over towards the passenger side of the troop.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I got some pictures of her driving down the road, nothing too exciting.

Ha and here she is parked next to a rodeo

The clutch slave cylinder failed on her so I replaced that and bled the lines and now the clutch feels like its in a brand new car, I tightened her E-brake up so now it roll down hills with it on! I also adjusted the idle, its supposed to be at 900rpm but it was idling at about 500rpm, barely holding on at idle so I got idling right, sounds beautiful right now.

All this work I'm doing to her trooper makes me really really really want one of my own, even though I already have a project car.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
jacks_s13.5 said:
All this work I'm doing to her trooper makes me really really really want one of my own, even though I already have a project car.
I know that feeling! :)
dam isuzu bug will bite anyone

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I really like the rake on that troop, in the road pic !!

As for the one at the shop without a title...

The best option for you, would be to have the shop claim it as an abandoned vehicle. Sold to you for the cost of whatever repair was done on it.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Troopers just look great with blacked out wheels. Looks like a nice old rig you got there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Guys thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it. As for the rake, ha it is cool man but is that a trooper thing? Are they stanced like that factory or is there something different about her trooper that makes it do that? We plan to refresh all the suspension parts eventually anyway though.

Also as for the trooper at the shop they know the guy who owns it and apparently he was storing it there for him I dont know if he wants to sell it I need to find time to call the guy, but I'm in college and taking summer classes so I cant work as much as I'd like to and I still have my 240sx I need to get running so I dont know if I'd have the time or the money for another trooper although it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for my girlfriend to pick up that trooper if the price was right if for nothing more than parts. Her trooper is in pretty good shape, except for all the damage to the frame, it was cracked then half assedly repaired and is rusted in some places. I have the steel to fix it and I hope that by just adding a ton reinforcement to the part where it is weak will solve the problem but I don't know other than that all the bad things really are just cosmetic and I'm working on getting all that fixed up. I'm going to be an expert at fiber glassing by the time I'm done with this trooper. Sometimes I think I'm stupid for letting her get a machine that needs as much frame work as this one but man I truly have fallen in love with this thing and I want to save it I want this trooper to continue to be road worthy.

Speaking of being road worthy my girlfriend and I need to get around to changing oil, now being from the import tuning scene I use and suggest synthetic oil to everyone and I've heard that putting synthetic oil in an older motor will cause it to leak but is there anything else I should know? Would it be a bad idea to start putting synthetic oil in the motor? I've seen gains in HP on the dyno just by using a good grade synthetic oil, now while she is not looking for HP, those gains mean the motor is working more efficiently and less friction which I would think is very good for an older motor.

One more thing I've learned being in the import racing scene is that heat is the enemy, one more thing I'd like to accomplish with the trooper is lowering the under the hood temps is hopes of improving efficiency and decreasing wear. Both my girlfriend and I like the look of truly functional hood louvers and I'm hoping that will help in lowering the temps under the hood. Also I'd like to get a header from indy4x and wrap it in header wrap, also I need to get around to putting in that new radiator. Well any and all opinions are welcome let me know what you think.

The current to do list
Fix saggy driver door
Finish bondo/fiberglass work
Change oil
Steel braided brake lines
Install new gas gauge
Fix/Reinforce frame
Bedline the underbody and up the first body line on the outside
Bedline the floor inside
Get a matching 5th Crager rim and tire for the back
Install new radiator
Make bumpers and roof rack
I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
As for oil, these engines seem to like a Rotella 5W-30. The Rotella is a diesel oil but still contains some of the more effective cleaning agents that have been EPA eradicated from the other petrol engine oils.

Also... It's controversal because it may remove "gunk bugs" in your oil passages/engine and accentuate leaks but a bit of seafoam (3rd of a can) in the crankcase right before an oil change can get A LOT of grime and junk out of there. All I can say is I tried it and was very pleased with the results but individual results may vary :roll:

As for heat, that's the #1 killer of these engines. Blown heads and gaskets are very common. The radiators get old, the t-stats fail etc.. Keep those temps in check. Always make sure your temp gauge is funtioning and showing happy readings. As for improving airflow. Ahead of a hood scoop, I would instead recommend getting an electric cooling fan for the radiator.

HTH. Just give that trooper love and it will return the favor. They really are well made utility vehicles. Most problems with these trucks are due to neglect.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks man I think some sea foam and some Rotella sounds like a good plan to me but I'll make sure to research it some more and if anyone else has anymore input on that subject feel free to toss it in. Her temp gauge does not work and needs to get replaced asap but I can tell you one thing and that's that motor can get super hot in about 5 mins, we were given a new radiator and we bought new radiator hoses but I didnt think about the thermostat, I should replace that just to be on the safe side. I think that an electric fan would be a great idea. With an electric fan and some hood louvers as well as a new radiator and thermostat we might to be able to beat the heat.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Are you sure it's the gauge? You've tested it I assume? Mine was bad on my LS but it was the sending unit. The sending unit is very easy to replace. If you get a new T-stat, make sure to buy OEM. Get it from JLEMOND. Don't know why and I'm not really one of these "OEM or nothing else!" kind of guys but OEM T-stats seem to be the only ones that work. I might also recommend burping your cooling system just to be on the safe side.

If you do the seafoam trick, what I would do is add about 1/3-1/2 of a can in the crank case and let the engine run for about twenty minutes, drain it and then refill with rotella (this time no seafoam). You will be amazed at how black that oil will come out of there. :shock:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm not sure whats wrong exactly with the temp gauge but I figured I'd find out once I got to poking around in there. Also thanks for the tip on the thermostat and the seafoam.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
jacks_s13.5 said:
Guys thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it. As for the rake, ha it is cool man but is that a trooper thing? Are they stanced like that factory or is there something different about her trooper that makes it do that? We plan to refresh all the suspension parts eventually anyway though.
Mine sits exactly the opposite.

I am going to have to add a leaf or three, from a leafpack for a dodge of some sort, and hope that brings the back end up some.

I don't want to have to lower the front.

I'll put on longer shackles in the back, if I have to.

I like having the rake in the front like that.

If for no other reason, then purely for looks. But it is also better for gas mileage, gripshun on the road, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm so itching to take this thing off road even if for nothing more than a little mud, I'm living out my dreams of having a trail rig through her.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
All the fiber glassing is finally done and I'm thankful for that, I was getting pretty tired of all that resin and cloth. Next thing I think I should tackle is replacing the old radiator with the new one we got when we bought the trooper and the new thermostat. I also want to get some louvers for the hood to help aid cooling the motor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I notice you got arm rest in your truck,and i believe the back seat should have been a split rearseat with that option! Went tent camping down on outerbanks with my daughter two years ago and had ablast.....grilled right by the waves crashing on the beach, and finally found out what H-ll no-seem's were, thats something that should be exstinct!!! Seems like your coming alongf on your trooper.....goodluck!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts