Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I got the Amigo home today. The wife is not so happy :cry: but oh well.

The truck:
1999 Isuzu Amigo V6 4X4, 140k miles. It is the ugliest chick green known to man. My wife even hates it. It is old and faded paint. It is basicly stock with a tbar lift and 235-85 16 dayton Timberline MTs the right blinker has been taken out to make a psudo ram air. Superwinch manual hubs.

The history:
I bought the truck used with 75K miles on it as a daily commuter when i lived in the California mountains. The limited slip is worn out and the skinny tires were for fuel economy. I gave the Amigo to my parents when they needed a car and I didn't. I only asked to have it back when they were done with it, running or not. It hasn't run for 2 years due to a fuel pump and diagnosing issues.

Current:
The fuel pump and regulator have been changed, but the timing is way off due to the stock timing belt is still in it. I will be changing the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump next week. I will then do another compression check to see if i am back in spec.

Use of the truck:
This truck will not be a DD. It will be driven to trails with the very occasional trip to the grocery store or work (35 miles one way).
It will mostly be used for cross country desert travel and snow wheeling.

Plans:
Timing belt, tensioner, and water pump change.

BUY A FRIKKIN BATTERY FOR IT. Swapping batts sux!

remove carpet and bumpers (make new ones).

replace the LSD in the rear

weld up the front diff

level the suspension up (trooper springs or just cut and weld lower the stockers.

Roll cage

replace the rear window

Paint desert camo (the wife wants this too?)

Decide after all of that what to do with the suspension. May go SAS, but IFS is great in the snow and desert running, i might just keep it.

I just though that I would start a thread.
I will get pix up next week. :cry:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:
I am in the middle of changing the timing belt, tensioner and water pump. It would have been finished yesterday if the parts shop would have ordered the correct pump and I would have read the haynes manual about correctly lining up the dots and dashes on the belt correctly.

then i will inspect the cats for blockages.

hopefully the weather is better tomorrow. It has snowed a bit today.

godspeed to all those in the south.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Yes use photobucket. It is easy to use. Open an account for free. Click Upload Now then find photos on your computer click on photo (by holding Ctrl Shift you can click more than one) then open. they will upload to photo bucket. Edit their size to fit forum better (800x600 is big and shows alot of detail if needed, 640x480 is a good size also, any smaller is hard to see.) Then in the box that says â-¼ Share this photo click on the code next to Direct link. It should copy to your computer's Clip board. Then in your Forum message paste the code then highlight it and click on the box Img then your Picture code will be bracketed with . Click Preview to see if it worked and how it looks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is when I went to the prev. owner's house to pick it up. The tarp was to keep the rain and snow out of the back window that no longer really exists. The driver's side blinker was relocated to the grill to facilitate a "ram air" type thing. I did that when I had it before, but I don't remember if it actually made a difference.

The paint is pretty much shot. There are dents and dings all over. The interior is in rough shape. And there is no back window.

I "replaced" the rear window with some temperarily safety pinned on vinyl i bought at wally world. The wife is ticked off enough. I don't need the blue tarp in the yard. :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jwood1016 said:
Definitely keep the IFS for desert cruising.
That is what I was thinking. Same with snow wheeling. I remember when i had this the first time and my XJ, that the Amigo did MUCH better in deep snow. The XJ would just push the snow with the front axle.

I just need to figure out what to do as far as locking the front and rear on a VERY tight budget.

A mini-spool is available for the rear, but i do not know if it fits in the LSD carrier.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the roof glass. I masked it off and painted it an off white primer that i had laying around. I do not have the cover that blocks the sun, and the AC compressor or compressor clutch is broken. That sun fries you in summer. Sure is dark in there now.

I would have taken a pick of it finished, but the weather was comming in a hurry.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you paint it camo, do digi camo, looks awesome on a vehicle.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Awesome... looking forward to progress!

congrats!

also, there are never to many pics :D

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Looking good man, moving to members rides though for ya so you can keep the build thread going.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for moving it. :)

FYI for whomever reads this, apparently the timing belt tensioner was changed to a shorter than stock one. Same manyfacturer (NKsomething), but a shorter body.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the timing belt, tensioner and water pump changed. It starts up better, but is not healthy yet.

The mechanic at work let me borrow a device he made out of a air pressure gauge and an old O2 sensor to check if catalytic converters are plugged.
Install it in the O2 before the cat, read pressure then installit after the cat and read pressure.
before the cat read 10psi, after the cat read 0 psi. :cry:

I cut off the cat and took a pic inside the front end of the cat. it is not supposed to look like this. :cry: :cry:

Later i will post a pic of the "tool" that my mechanic made for checking.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If he was checking for back pressure, you can also make this device with a vacuum gauge, vacuum hose, and a fitting that goes from 1/4 vacuum line to the same size/thread as your O2 sensor. I used to have four or five different sizes/types when I was working as a mechanic. Very handy.

Also really interesting that your tensioner is a different length...

Looking forward to the pics :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ten steps forward, twenty steps back.. :(

I got the exhaust back on with one cat hollowed out and one intact. I took it for a short drive. The CEL went on, but was not blinking. I noticed that the engine sounded loud and kind of tingy. I though it was the hollowed out cat. Then the oil light started to flicker on..... I was 3 miles from home. If i kept the rpms up the oil light went off so i just put it in 2nd.

then the oil light came on again so i put it in neutral and shut it down and coasted. :(

Now it will turn over, but will not start. :( :(

When i originally bought it home, I noticed that it was leaking oil out of the front of the engine somewhere. It leaked only when it was running. I don't know if this has anything to do with the current issue or not though.

It will sit for a month or so before i can look at it again. So bummed. :evil:

On the brighter side (unless i just blew the engine) i got all of the carpet ripped out, and the hole patched up from the fuel pump replacement that was done last year.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
beater said:
I noticed that the engine sounded loud and kind of tingy.

Then the oil light started to flicker on.....

then the oil light came on again so i put it in neutral and shut it down and coasted. :(

Now it will turn over, but will not start. :( :(

When i originally bought it home, I noticed that it was leaking oil out of the front of the engine somewhere. It leaked only when it was running. I don't know if this has anything to do with the current issue or not though.
My guess would be the oil pump.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts