Isuzu SUV Forum banner

My DD / Weekend Warrior Low Budget Build

19K views 82 replies 24 participants last post by  foytiX 
#1 ·
Long story short. Wife got pregnant, sold my 03 Silverado. Took the money we made off of it and paid off some bills and bought a 95 Trooper. First year of the wide track axles and last year before the OBD inspections in NC. Searched for a while and found a 5spd. with manual everything (less to break).

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a big fan of the roof rack, but it does serve a huge purpose when we go camping. So, first things first. Off with the rack and mud flaps. The rack now resides suspended above my wife's Honda Pilot in the garage. When we go camping I just lower it down by the straps and fasten it down.

#3 ·
Very nice trooper. I didn't really care for the rack either but I did like the flaps combined with the fender extensions. Nice ride.

#4 ·
Up next was the carpet. It was owned by a mom and dad and their two kids. The carpet was awful. So I tore it out and put in some roll in bedliner. So far it's been really tough. I have two Great Danes and they have yet to scratch or peel it up.

#6 ·
Nice trooper....don't your dogs get tired of riding on the rough surface though?

I have a big dog that rides in the back of the rodeo, have a matt over the carpeting, but on top of that he has a thick bed pillow....but we've also been known to travel a couple thousand miles on each trip too.

#7 ·
Ramblin Fever said:
Nice trooper....don't your dogs get tired of riding on the rough surface though?

I have a big dog that rides in the back of the rodeo, have a matt over the carpeting, but on top of that he has a thick bed pillow....but we've also been known to travel a couple thousand miles on each trip too.
When we go camping we have an old comforter that we fold in half for them. If we're just going to the park or somewhere local, they just stand up and sniff out the windows.

#8 ·
I took a lot of pictures during the lifting phase, but I lost them all somehow. I cut the rear bumpstops off and fabbed up some new coil buckets. I welded them under the frame and moved the mounts on the axle outward to line up. It gave me three inches. I cranked the front torsion bars to match. If I had it to do over again I would have just bought new springs. It took me an entire day to make the buckets and get everything welded up. But, the lift was free. I had the metal laying around in my garage. Another downside. I have to figure out a way to weld in some more bump stops.

These are the only pics I could find of the finished lift before the I put on the wheels and tires. These came off my phone.

#9 ·
I got the wheels and tires off of craigslist for $220. 35x12.50x15s on 15 by 10 wheels. I didn't want wheels that wide, but I couldn't pass up the deal. Three are Mud Kings XT and one is brand new. The fourth is a BFGoodrich (pre KM2).

Needs an alignment now.

#10 ·
I had some major rubbing issues with the 35s. But I wanted to keep the center of gravity as low as possible and keep as much clearance as possible. So, I broke out the side grinder and box cutter. The box cutter made quick work of all the plastic liners and the front bumper. Then I cut the into the seams of the pinch weld with the grinder. I hammered them flat. I didn't want to cut the pinch welds all the way off. I didn't want the sheet metal to be weak. Then I had to cut the plastic flares to match the sheet metal.

It still rubs at full turn if I flex it on something. But not bad at all. Not bad enough to add any lift.

#11 ·

Nice transformation, soccer mom SUV to weekend warrior. CL is your friend! :thumbup:

Does it still fit into the garage? 8)

#13 ·
Nice Trooper. I like the stance.
If I ever switch to a newer body style, I'll definitely hold out for a 5 speed in white just like yours.

#14 ·
Nice work. Sure ain't wasting any time on this one. Good job. Looks super. I too was wondering about garage clearance. :D

#15 ·
Yeah, it still fits in the garage. But now I can't put the rack on to go camping and drive back out.

I thought it was going to be a dog w/ the 4.56 gears and the 35s, but it's not bad at all. It's not a fan of hills on the interstate at 65/70. I had an 89 trooper w/ a 4cyl. and 5spd on 33s. This new one w/ the 3.2 v6 and 35s is stronger.

#16 ·
slainer said:
Looks great, and its a 5 speed! Now that I know what it looks like, I will keep a look out to see it in person. Are you planing to make the URE trip in April, if so may I suggest some rock sliders for your next project to protect that nice Trooper.
I don't have any access to a tube bender or notcher down here. You don't happen to have one do you slainer? I'm trying to go in April, but my wife is due with our first daughter March 9th.

#17 ·
Congrats, better plan on staying home with you're wife and new born they may need your help. There will be another URE trip in the fall, and probably something in between. Wish I had a tubing bender and notched, but I don't, just made a roof rack out of 3/4 conduit and notched all the peaces with a file.

#24 ·
bhop said:
Looks way better now, although, I do like the roof rack, just further back would look better IMO. Gonna get a spare tire to match your new ones?
yeah, i'm looking for a matching wheel and another 35.

#25 ·
Bikesrcool said:
JBsTrooper said:
Bikesrcool said:
dudee i love the idea can u take pics of the coil buckets????
i snagged one real quick this morning.
did u just move them or what did you do exactly ???
no, I made new ones out of some steel I had. I removed the sway bar and bump stops, and welded in my new coil buckets.

#26 ·
thats a nice looking ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.