Isuzu SUV Forum banner

My DD / Weekend Warrior Low Budget Build

19K views 82 replies 24 participants last post by  foytiX 
#1 ·
Long story short. Wife got pregnant, sold my 03 Silverado. Took the money we made off of it and paid off some bills and bought a 95 Trooper. First year of the wide track axles and last year before the OBD inspections in NC. Searched for a while and found a 5spd. with manual everything (less to break).

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
Not a big fan of the roof rack, but it does serve a huge purpose when we go camping. So, first things first. Off with the rack and mud flaps. The rack now resides suspended above my wife's Honda Pilot in the garage. When we go camping I just lower it down by the straps and fasten it down.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Up next was the carpet. It was owned by a mom and dad and their two kids. The carpet was awful. So I tore it out and put in some roll in bedliner. So far it's been really tough. I have two Great Danes and they have yet to scratch or peel it up.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Ramblin Fever said:
Nice trooper....don't your dogs get tired of riding on the rough surface though?

I have a big dog that rides in the back of the rodeo, have a matt over the carpeting, but on top of that he has a thick bed pillow....but we've also been known to travel a couple thousand miles on each trip too.
When we go camping we have an old comforter that we fold in half for them. If we're just going to the park or somewhere local, they just stand up and sniff out the windows.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I took a lot of pictures during the lifting phase, but I lost them all somehow. I cut the rear bumpstops off and fabbed up some new coil buckets. I welded them under the frame and moved the mounts on the axle outward to line up. It gave me three inches. I cranked the front torsion bars to match. If I had it to do over again I would have just bought new springs. It took me an entire day to make the buckets and get everything welded up. But, the lift was free. I had the metal laying around in my garage. Another downside. I have to figure out a way to weld in some more bump stops.

These are the only pics I could find of the finished lift before the I put on the wheels and tires. These came off my phone.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I got the wheels and tires off of craigslist for $220. 35x12.50x15s on 15 by 10 wheels. I didn't want wheels that wide, but I couldn't pass up the deal. Three are Mud Kings XT and one is brand new. The fourth is a BFGoodrich (pre KM2).

Needs an alignment now.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
I had some major rubbing issues with the 35s. But I wanted to keep the center of gravity as low as possible and keep as much clearance as possible. So, I broke out the side grinder and box cutter. The box cutter made quick work of all the plastic liners and the front bumper. Then I cut the into the seams of the pinch weld with the grinder. I hammered them flat. I didn't want to cut the pinch welds all the way off. I didn't want the sheet metal to be weak. Then I had to cut the plastic flares to match the sheet metal.

It still rubs at full turn if I flex it on something. But not bad at all. Not bad enough to add any lift.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Yeah, it still fits in the garage. But now I can't put the rack on to go camping and drive back out.

I thought it was going to be a dog w/ the 4.56 gears and the 35s, but it's not bad at all. It's not a fan of hills on the interstate at 65/70. I had an 89 trooper w/ a 4cyl. and 5spd on 33s. This new one w/ the 3.2 v6 and 35s is stronger.

Discussion starter · #16 ·
slainer said:
Looks great, and its a 5 speed! Now that I know what it looks like, I will keep a look out to see it in person. Are you planing to make the URE trip in April, if so may I suggest some rock sliders for your next project to protect that nice Trooper.
I don't have any access to a tube bender or notcher down here. You don't happen to have one do you slainer? I'm trying to go in April, but my wife is due with our first daughter March 9th.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
bhop said:
Looks way better now, although, I do like the roof rack, just further back would look better IMO. Gonna get a spare tire to match your new ones?
yeah, i'm looking for a matching wheel and another 35.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Bikesrcool said:
JBsTrooper said:
Bikesrcool said:
dudee i love the idea can u take pics of the coil buckets????
i snagged one real quick this morning.
did u just move them or what did you do exactly ???
no, I made new ones out of some steel I had. I removed the sway bar and bump stops, and welded in my new coil buckets.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
clutchcargo87 said:
badass truck man! looks good with the 35's! ive been trying to find out how bad 35's would rob power from mine. i have the same truck, but its automatic.
I don't know about the automatic, but mine isn't bad at all. I had an 89 w/ 2.6L 4 cyl. 5spd w/ 33s. This 3.2L v6 5spd has much more power than the prior.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
took it down a dirt road close to my house so I could measure it for some new bump stops.

As far up as I could go without rubbing way too much in the rear. I was suprised the front didn't rub at all during this escapade.

The shocks are the limiting factor. Soon to be addressed.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Been a while since I updated this.

I tore off one of the plastic fender flares, so I took them off. I covered the mounting holes with bondo, sanded, and covered it with the left over Bed Armor bedliner I had. You can still see the rear bumper hasn't been fixed yet.

I finally installed some Aisin hubs. I traded a set of snowflakes for these.

Those updates were free, minus the time.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
I hated the width of the 35s in combination with the 10 inch wide wheels. I sold them for $200 and bought a set of 33x10.50 BFG KM2s used for $250. I traded the roof rack that came on the Trooper for a set of 15x8 wheels that were barely used. The 33s never rub and I have more power now.

And at some point in all that I spray painted the bumpers and the Isuzu emblem flat black.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
slainer said:
Looks real sweat with 33s. Glad to see you keep the Trooper.
Wayne
we have got to get together seeing as how we live so close. let me know next time you head to LKQ or need some help wrenching.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
slainer said:
JBsTrooper said:
slainer said:
Looks real sweat with 33s. Glad to see you keep the Trooper.
Wayne
we have got to get together seeing as how we live so close. let me know next time you head to LKQ or need some help wrenching.
Yea JB I need to try to get to LKQ, just picked up a 93 Rodeo and need a headlight. We are also talking about a December trip to URE if you are interested in a little wheeling.
def. interested. when in Dec.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.