Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tool I use daily, probably more than any other the last 10 years, a Craftsman 1/2 socket wrench, stopped working today.

I've always heard about the warranty, but never had to use it. Do I just take it in to a Sears store?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Take it to the store and they'll give you a rebuild kit.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Craftsman hand tools are guaranteed for life. Whether that's the life of the tool or life of the company is debatable! :twisted:

Better take it in to exchange for a new one before they go bankrupt!!!!

Cheers..............ed

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I take tools in constantly to Sears...just take it in and say warranty please. If they dont have it in stock they ship to you for free :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
as someone else mentioned, they'll just give you a ratcheting head unit rebuild kits, and then you get to wrestle with the teeny tiny circlip on the bottom side of the tool by yourself...........have fun.

Sears Sucks, no wonder they were bought out by Kmart 3-4 years ago and now they're closing ~150 stores nation wide.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Rodeo Song said:
as someone else mentioned, they'll just give you a ratcheting head unit rebuild kits, and then you get to wrestle with the teeny tiny circlip on the bottom side of the tool by yourself...........have fun.

Sears Sucks, no wonder they were bought out by Kmart 3-4 years ago and now they're closing ~150 stores nation wide.
Never got a rebuild kit before...just a new ratchet.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You lucked out and got the guy who doesn't know the warranty coverage. ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
A brand new ratchet is only $20, whether the old one is covered under warrenty or not, it's not worth my time to wait in the store for managers approval, then get the rebuild kit, then spend 1/2 to 1 hour to rebuilding my old used on............only to have it not be 100% good a new and fail when you need it..............frigg that, just buy another one for $20.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-2-in-d ... 944809000P

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
For me $20 is wirth the 5 minutes it takes to rebuild. It is 100% new after that, apart from the handle pretty much. There's no manager's approval, they hand it to your right over the counter, no paperwork or hassle or anything.

I should say it was worth it, anyway... bit of a long haul to the nearest Sears now.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick follow-up:

So, I walked in, found the first tool guy, and said "need a warranty repair". He verified that it was dead and then pulled out a huge bin under the desk at the cash register and found the most similar model to mine, and handed it to me. The whole thing took 45 seconds. The replacement tool had a sticker marked "REFURBISHED". Fine with me, as long as it works!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Last time I broke mine, they rebuilt it while I shopped around for other stuff I needed, and he gave me a couple extra rebuild kits which is nice. I usually have a backup ratchet though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts