Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first off I've loved the Amigo's since I was a kid. My mothers best friend owned a 2wd one. She had the thing for years with no issues and the first time she showed up with the top off I was completely hooked. Now that I have one I LOVE owning such a unique vehicle. I didnt even have this thing for a day (filling up at the gas station on the way home from buying it...lol) and the gas attendant was like "you don't see to many of those around do ya...?" I said "nope...you sure don't", he said "Isuzu Brat right...?" I of course corrected him, smiled, then said thanks and went on my way. It was funny that he mentioned the Subaru Brat...cause I'm also a Suby nut...but that's a different forum and different thread ;-)

Now I bought this Amigo for a budget minded $750.00 bucks. With that said it's not a complete "steal" but it's well worth some time, effort, and money.

Here it is in all it's glory when I brought it home...

The PO said that it needed a new heater core, ball joints, CV shaft, a top of some kind, tires, and of course it needs some kind of paint job figured out. Now it also needs odds and ends to make it look "complete". This rig will be a DD for me, as well as the "go to" rig for camping/wheeling/beach trips/hauling the dogs ;-). So that means I can't just get some run of the mill black spray paint and rattle can over the dents and scratches (at least not for a finished product...with my standards...lol). I can say I was pretty impressed with how well it drove down the freeway though, especially in it's beat up state. It had a bit of a "shimmy" at or above 70 mph...but nothing really before that. All in all I'm pretty happy with my purchase and can't wait to get the work finished so I can hit the trails...and you know...maybe the streets too ;-)

The plan is to get it back on the road and practical then worry about the extra stuff as it comes. This is what I plan on doing to accomplish that over the next few weeks...

Buy and install the heater core
Buy and install a top
Wire in and install my audio equipment (maybe some new speakers)
Find a replacement factory sunroof
Buy and install the ball joints
Buy and mount some used tires (cause I can't afford new ones)

Then after it's reliable and working on the road I will be moving on to making it look the way I want to. That will include...

Re-work the front end, remove the dents/scrapes/miss-shapen stuff and paint the whole truck black again. I figure painting the whole truck black I won't have to worry about blending or matching different shades of black. As well as investigate the front body mounts that have gotten a bit banged up from at least two accidents I know of (PO was forthcoming).
Building some bumpers and rock sliders, possibly spare tire carrier.
Possibly painting the rims...or hunting down some snowflakes...we'll see.
Tint the door glass
Maybe convert it back to the Amigo front end...I kind like it better.

Here is the work so far...and the place I do said work ;-)

The BANE of my existence right now...lol

The dash "removed"...

Heater core and H-vac removed...

And stripped down...

This is my humble "shop"...and where I do the work on anything from the lawn mower to my many friends cars that need something done ;-)

Here's the "shop" computer I re-purposed from extra parts...

It serves two main purposes...streaming 99.9 KISW into the garage ;-), and keeping me connected to "The Planet"

And this is where I take a break when I'm about to freak the F%[email protected] out because I'm stumped on a project. You can see the green stained sneakers to the left, those are my girlfriends who seems to have mowed the lawn before I got back home (she's a keeper ;-))

Well that's it for now, when the parts show up I'll be sure to post up the work that happens and what I run into as problems...lol ;-)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
very nice project! so what happen to the front end? was it in an accident or rust ate up the front?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Metal88 said:
very nice project! so what happen to the front end? was it in an accident or rust ate up the front?
It was in one major accident and was wrecked when the PO bought it, he replaced the whole front clip. Then he was in a second fender bender that banged up what he had replaced...lol

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
It is quite cute :D Keep the rodeo headlights, looks way better. 8)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Oh the girlfriend started giving me s--- the second I wanted it...lol.

Tell me something that I don’t already know :roll:

:evil: My sister calls the Amigo “CUTEâ€

·
Registered
242 Posts
Amigos are just cool (that my option and I am sticking with it) you see them one in a while. Every person that drove with me in my amigo has remembered the name of my SUV from there on out. Also the people that I have pulled out mud, snow and my personal favorite **** load of snow !! But the down side every woman, coworker and girlfriend call the Amigo “Cuteâ€

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Anthonys101 said:
Amigos are just cool (that my option and I am sticking with it) you see them one in a while. Every person that drove with me in my amigo has remembered the name of my SUV from there on out. Also the people that I have pulled out mud, snow and my personal favorite s--- load of snow !! But the down side every woman, coworker and girlfriend call the Amigo “Cuteâ€

·
Registered
242 Posts
:cry: :cry: :cry: now that is a sad story

Why are is ISUZU "CUTE" ??

Do I have to put a BULL HORN up front to make it UNCUTE !!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
When you do put newer tires on please take some pic
There is nothing finer then a truck with newer slab of tires

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well I sure the tire will fix a lot of the problem of any vibration on the high way. When your amigo shimmy that usually mean tire are off balance. Newer tires should fix that then get an alignment . Good part of Isuzu if only the front you have to worry about front.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anthonys101 said:
Well I sure the tire will fix a lot of the problem of any vibration on the high way. When your amigo shimmy that usually mean tire are off balance. Newer tires should fix that then get an alignment . Good part of Isuzu if only the front you have to worry about front.
It definitely felt like an out of balance tire, maybe a tweaked rim. But the bonus is right now I don't have a full-size spare. So with buying this set I get that and some tires that are in WAY better shape.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well while waiting for the parts to arrive I decided to take the front fenders, bumper, and grill off the Amigo to get a better look at the body mount that's bent...and just make it easier to paint them up for now until I paint the whole truck.

So anyhoo...here is the body

Well yep...that's ur problem rite thur...

Shot from underneath...

And the other side which is fine...lol

Underneath again...

Now as I kept going I noticed where some of the repair was done for the accident...someone with more experience chime in and let me know if this is bad...or really bad...or just fine.

Goes all the way down the inner fender...

So far that's the work done today, I'll be sanding and painting the panels black (primer I think) and putting them back on once I get the front passenger body mount straight and at least somewhat solid...lol.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I agree with your choice to go back to the amigo front end, to me the rodeo look is just too plain :/ kinda like round headlights on troopers, besides, the headlights for the amigo are cheaper ;)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts