Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what $1500 gets you if your in the right place at the right time

I know it's a 95 and has a 3.2 or the hood came from a vehical that had a 3.2, that's what the decal says.

So far the only thing I have done is brakes, replaced the coolant over flow tank, and replaced the right front turn signal.

Needs some cosmetic work but other then that the rig runs fine.

So what do you think?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
it probably is a 3.2 if it has the badge.

it looks terrible. send me the bug shield window vents and side steps immediately.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Looking rig, welcome to the Zoo :D

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Yeah you got ripped. :lol: Bought mine for $400. Well okay it's a 92... and the paint is fried. then again I've had to replace the engine and transmission.

Sooooo wellll I guess you did get a good deal after all. Take care of it and it'll take care of you. Congrats and Welcome.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Man that thing looks like new. And those wheels are nice :wink:

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
That thing is in superb condition, you have the 95.5 year, NOT the 95...that's important to keep in mind due to ordering parts when needed.

The 95.5's had the newer rounded dash, which yours has...and yes, that's clearly the 3.2L V6, I believe though, the 93-95.5's came with 175hp

The 96-97 yrs, which is what I have, came with 190hp...not sure exactly what's different however.

Is that an automatic or 5-spd? If it's the automatic I would seriously look into getting the fluid swapped, filter replaced, but do NOT allow anyone to flush that transmission.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Hope you didn't use a fram oil filter :?: ....this 3.2L HATES that filter for some reason.

You mentioned power issues in another thread, what viscosity of oil are you using?

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
All I can say is that when I bought my 97 rodeo new, the dealer actually had me sign warranty papers stating that the warranty on the engine would be null and voided if a fram oil filter was ever installed.

Obviously I've never used fram on this truck; however other 3.2L owners I've met that have used fram, their engines seem to tick, and when they've changed to different filters...the ticking is eliminated or not as defined.

I've read that the pressure output of the filter could be part of the problem; but honestly I don't know....but I figured if it was part of the initial issue at time of purchasing the truck, then obviously Isuzu knows something we don't.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm using a high milage 5w30 oil and a purolator (sp?) filter.

Addressing the Fram question, I would never use a Fram filter. On a motorcycle forum I am a member of there are a couple of guys that ran fram filters on their bikes until the paper filiment inside the filter came apart and went through the engine oil passages blocking things up and turning an engine into a nice end table for their man caves. I'm thinking if that happend to a V6 engine you could use it as a matching coffee table.

As for power the current engine, 233XXX miles, seems to be ok for it's age. It has an oil leak, I'm guessing from the rear main, I just haven't located it yet. Also, as this is not my daily driver just a weekend toy, if I can swap an engine and get a little more power then I'll be happy. If I can't find an easy engine swap then I'll rebuild a 3.2 and drop it in probably some time next year. The transmission and transfer case will also be gone through.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
nice....wish I had the time and area to rebuild when the time comes.

I don't have a garage.....my rodeo used to be a dd, I have a company truck, so the rodeo only gets drove once or twice a month....it's not so much a toy vehicle though in terms of offroading, it's an excursion vehicle though. It's been everywhere.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know a bunch of you have done this mod already but this is my experiance...so far.
Ok so this is what it looked like after I got it home.

I bought a body lift from another member here at the zoo. I soon discovered that the instructions said something about only taking about four hours to complete...maybe when the truck was new and not rusty.
After getting the body loose, still following the instruction sheet I discovered none of the driver side bolts would line up. I also discovered the "cable" on the automatic is infact a solid rod and does not stretch like the instuctions claim. I got it disconected with no damage. I jacked the body off the frame and supported it on some timbers and put the wheels on dollies and slide the frame around under the body.

After a couple more hours and some big pry bars it got lined up. Tomorrow the rest of it will go together. I have figured out I'm going to have to pull the steering column loose to get the shaft back on the steering box.

And this is what it looks like at the end of today.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I have the truck back together finaly some of the problems I ran into doing the body lift I'll share with you now.

First was the steering binding but thanks to recon and MUDKING that was a simple fix. Just dropped the steering wheel from the dash and unbolted the column where it goes through the fire wall let the column relax into place drilled new holes in the fire wall und bolted it all back together.

The next problem was the bumper repositioning plates, they would bolt to the rear bumper or to the frame, not both.I had to cut a notch out of the stock bumper bracket to let the bolt go in.

The next problem, the transfer case wouldn't go into low range so I cut a notch in the floor and cut the plastic housing around the shifter to give it enough room to go into low.

Took it for a test drive around the block a few times and all seems to be working. Even the transfer case is shifting like it should :)

Next is removing the Nerf bars, they are rusted through in the rear by the back tires on both sides, and I need to pull the switch on the driver door to figure out why I can't roll the passenger window down, it will go up but not down. The passenger switch works fine.

Well that's it for now, hope you all like it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good work!!!

You're encouraging me to embark on a similar project with my '99 rodeo...

I have a few other issues to take care of first though..

like my FRAM oil filter that I just put on!!!! - I've got a NASTY tick now! :((

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Looking good bud. Body lifts are fun. :lol:

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Looks great man! And Brandon, you were asking who got my body lift, well here ya go!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D :D :D body lifts rock 8) recon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.