So I recently acquired this 94 Trooper
IMG_20170429_112627.jpg

here is the run down:

3.2 SOHC
5-speed 4x4
dark brown interior
Came with FSM!

new clutch and what looks like timing belt and water pump

I got is for a song because it hadn't run in 8 months to a year.
So the issues found was a poorly install alarm system, abuunch of cut/spliced/burnt wires.
Several overloaded and burnt fuses/also several oversized and jumpered fuses. Dead battery, Dead starter, dead clutch switches.

So I repaired all that stuff and it started right up with a ton of clangy racket. I ended up draining oil and old gas. Put fresh gas with fuel cleaner and some "fresh" (15w40) rotella in it. Along with a bit of lucas stabilizer. The engine quieted down , but there was a loud ringing noise like hammer on an anvil.

IMG_20170507_114240.jpg

SOO, I decided to just drive it and see what happened, The noise was there but got quieter and quieter as I drove. I put about 7 miles on it and the sound was almost gone. I got home and stopped and restarted noise was back but faint, I was able to trace it to the trans. I noticed all the inspection covers were missing even the one upfront that covers the flywheel. So, I'm gonna need to get or make those.

IMG_20170507_130904.jpg

Tested all the systems after the first run around, Windows don't want to move (relay seems good, fuse is good, I'll have to verify good switches), it has good cold AC. Also the temp never gets above about 130, Maybe the thermostat is missing? It needs tires as it has 4 different sizes all close but not the same. I have a long to-do list and seeing this is gonna be the family campmobile that my wife may have to drive, I'm going to have to do it up nice.

IMG_20170507_130608.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions for diagnosing the window switches and low temp condition I'd love to hear them.

Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
So, Got some work done. I got some new wheels (16" snowflakes) and 245/75 cooper at3 tires from a local post for a junk rodeo, even got the intake hose from it. Works good despite its different shape.
IMG_20170513_173235.jpg

I changed the oil again, and the Trans and TC oil. I still need to check the axles for proper oil level.
I installed some poly sway bar bushings front and back, as the fronts were gone and the sway bar was just clanking around the rears were really soft. The new bushings are nice and firm and they are greasable.
IMG_20170513_180423.jpg

I got the majority of the rewiring done, I can operate the windows, mirrors and defrosters, but my cruise still wont work. I think a new relay is needed, hopefully its not the actuator.

I have a new set of moog 812 springs to install and then I'll crank the tbars to match. I have a new thermostat to install with new antifreeze, and I got new ujoints on the way as one was binding pretty bad.

Has anyone ever bypassed/removed the oil cooler from the where the oil filter goes on? It seems like a very strange system to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
YOU are the man! Nice :D

Reactions: egagnon086

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, done some more work. I got my cruise control fixed by repairing a pinched wire coming from the neutral switch on the trans. I still need to put in a new thermostat.

I had a bit of a vibe from 45-60, so I changed the Ujoints and the vibe went from 50-60. I got the tires balanced and its only from 50-55. So my next action is to get the Driveshaft balanced and see if it goes away, otherwise ill be in for new motor and trans mounts, maybe.

I had to change the rear lower control arms also because they were super bent, when laying next to the new one the old ones were an inch shorter. I've been driving it to put on some miles and get through any old fuel left in the system.

On my first tank I averaged 16.6 MPG, not to bad for a bus. I have shocks, and manual hubs coming in the mail. Also I scored a ARB bumper from Joe Darlington for good deal, and I'm working on getting acouple more lacking interior parts. I did get my door actuator issue fixed, process documented here:lock actuator repair

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The work continues: had a nice 4 day weekend so "real" work could be done.

1st order of business: balance the Drive shaft, got it done and all I can say is wow. $50 well spent.
IMG_20170526_085659.jpg

Then to do the spring and shock overhaul, I went with Moog CC812s and Gabriel ultras that were for a Land cruiser to get the extra length in. also Install a brake line mount extender I made and some low profile UCA bumpstops for the front.
IMG_20170526_123924.jpg

to get the axle to drop down enough to just put the springs in I had to employ some non OSHA approved lifting methods like this. Allows for fine adjustment
IMG_20170526_123930.jpg

Then I made a trip to Jerry's to pick up some more odds and ends, and test out my new balanced and smooth riding truck.
IMG_20170520_114521.jpg

I also installed some new "AVM" manual hubs, seem to be knock off aisins but cant argue for $45.
IMG_20170526_145412.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
With all this done the Trooper grew about 2.5-3" with the top of the fender opening at 37" all around after a t-bar crank.

Troopers are just big, with only this mild lift, the trooper is sitting even or abit taller than my Meego and that's only on 31s
IMG_20170529_132322.jpg

I had to fix the coolant lines under the intake manifold Monday morning as they were old and splitting, I had a drip from one. Now all fixed.

Next up ARB front bumper on the way from Joe D.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
So Troopers been trooping me back and forth to work for a bit while the trans has been out of the Meego, Been averaging about 16-18 MPG. Which I though was pretty good, I do drive like a farmer though. Cruise at 55 a lot.

I got my bumper from Joe D, its a ARB for a 2n gen non flare model. It fit ok. I just had to chop off the front "Frame horns" then it just bolted on. He even left the super big hella lights on it. What a score.
IMG_20170617_160938.jpg

I got some new led DRLs for the openings in the bumper. Here's a shot next to the Meego.
IMG_20170617_190635.jpg

The troopers been a good hauler too, perfect size for my trailer.
IMG_20170618_123356.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Hey your Trooper is turnig out awesome. :thumbright: . Good score on the arb bumper.

From reading on the planet I had learned that people were using Moog cc784 from the V8 cherokees. Are those cc812 a better option? Stiffer probably? I think I read somewhere that the cc784 were just a bit soft Troopers with more stuff on them.

Reactions: egagnon086

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 784s on my amigo, and they are soft, but they help a lot when it comes to flex and stuffing the tires. This rig is going to be heavy camping use and trailering stuff so I went with the 812s. I really am thinking of going with the HD T-bars up front. The truck was level before at the fenders, now the front is a full 2"s lower and the tbars don't have much travel left. I don't want to give up ride quality for lift.

But yes they are 20-30% stiffer than stock so it rides pretty truck like, but with my trailer or a load of stuff in the back it rides really nice.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Went on a mini adventure with my boys,

Traveling through the Flooded Oconee national forest.
IMG_20170625_121850.jpg

This is near the Scull shoals sight they are still unearthing abunch of old buildings here.
IMG_20170625_121001.jpg

IMG_20170625_121149.jpg

I have done this trip a lot in my Meego, this time it was really wet and the trooper has no winch or lockers so it made it much more interesting.
IMG_20170625_125150.jpg

There were several areas I had to turn around because the creek crossings where flooded so bad and water was moving fast.
IMG_20170625_125209.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After the weekend adventure, I realized that the way I use this vehicle with my family in tow made me want a self recovery method on board. I was hours out in the woods and could of gotten stuck in a bad way several times. So I ordered a 13K winch to mount on this arb, and hope I don't have to use it but I know how just in case. I might get a roof rack and pack a shovel and axe just incase as well.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Super job. Like the bumper,hubs and the idea of13000lbs winch ,good overkill!! Those springs like my Calmini springs,great for loads and towing. Thanks for pictures,Tony

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update, So next week I have a week off work, My plan other than hanging with the fam and playing around is work on the "Troop Carrier",

I got a 13k winch to install along with some LED lights for the bumper
I need to paint the bumper to match the body ( wifes orders) anyone know a good color match for Zu "753"
I also am going to rebuild the front end, new ball joints, wheel bearings and check all the bushings.

In other interesting news I found a new provider of HD Torsion bar springs, out of austrailia, I ordered a set and am going to try them out and give yall the heads up. It will give us another avenue to make these trucks ride level without diving.

Reactions: reran

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Eric,

Great find on the torsion bars! Do you have the specs so we can compare to the Sway-A-Way bars? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I posted in it in another post but here is what I got:

The stock bars are ~25mm x48" from my measurements:
The bars I got coming are 30mm x ~48" so they are roughly 20% larger, which should be stiffer and also they are new not 23 years old. So that may also be a big factor. The best part is they are only $400 delivered by air from Australia. The swayaway bars if you can ever get confirmation that they are making them are reported as 31mm bars X 47.8", they say they are 20-30% bigger- sounds like they don't have a good handle on true rod diameter to me, as a bar set could be 30 to 32 mm around, plus they are like $600.

There is a local vendor I'm working with to get mine imported and get to me. He said that he could order them by container with his normal shipment if he got 5 preorders and it would greatly reduce the shipping cost, but would require a 4 week wait because its by sea.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
So, I got a little update:

I got my HD torsion bars on and got about 1K miles on them and I like them. They are keeping the truck nice and stable and level, and still plush enough to flex ok offroad.
IMG_20170716_192030.jpg

I also got my bumper painted to match the truck and got the LED running lights in. I installed my 13K winch, the new winch had a bad kink in the cable after the first test, so I replaced it with a good 18K rated dyneema rope.
IMG_20170721_165832.jpg

I then went on a good day trip up Tray Mountain in North GA up along the Appalachian Trail. The truck did great even with the almost bald cooper AT3s. I really need to replace these things.
IMG_20170722_151034.jpg

But so far the troop is doing good as the Family expo vehicle. It carried me, my parents, and my 2 boys in car seats with all our stuff with room to spare.
IMG_20170722_151040.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Did abit more work, got a CB ready for when I go trail riding with the Family.
Also Swapped the almost new Cooper AT3s over from the Meego , got the trooper an extra .5" or so of lift.
IMG_20170802_180545.jpg

Oh and I found this sweet '94 Dakar Badge for the grill.
IMG_20170802_180553.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Super job. You are the MAN!! Heavy duty bumper setup color matched,lights, badge cool,winch. A c.b. will be nice . KEEP the mods going . Thanks,Tony 8)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
So thanks to a fellow Planet Member I got a great deal on a Roof rack, I threw it up top just to check it out. Now I need to fab up some mounting brackets and figure out a roof mount shower tube for those dirty family adventures.

\
IMG_20170805_105416.jpg

From the Front
IMG_20170805_105605.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts