Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i bought myself another trooper late this summer, this is my second trooper, i was STUPID enough to sell the one i had, :( i regreted that very much, tried a few other cars, bmw's volvo's etc.. but nothing is like a trooper, once a trooperboy always a trooper boy it seems, :) but luckily after some searching (troopers are hard to come by in norway) i found this 86', it had only had 2 previous owners, and was nicely treated with regurarly services, :) some rust underneath that i need to weld, but this is not to bad at all, i will do this next spring, the subframe looks very good, :) the motor runs nice and quietly, have had a little trouble with the ignition, but i think i have located the problem. :)
currently i have parked it for a week or so, to strip out the interior to check the condition of the floor, i will post more pictures tomorrow, (as i am in the middle of this) and keep posting updates and pictures on the progress of this well built japanese offroader.
i hope you like it. :)

here i will make a list over things
i have planned for this machine:
Old man emu suspension.
31.10,5 Wheels on 8-10x15inch steel rims.
Some stereo.

this is my list so far, i will add things if i get more cool ideas. :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Nice.. Very nice...
Can we see the interior pics?

That's a nice preserved Trooper. Gas or diesel?
You got all of the original hub caps and that georgeous steel wheels. It took me two years to find those wheels :)

31" is big compared to standard tyres, but still capable for light offroad. Some of my friend running 33" and do offroding with it, altough it's hurt the driveline :roll:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ubs_lover said:
Nice.. Very nice...
Can we see the interior pics?

That's a nice preserved Trooper. Gas or diesel?
You got all of the original hub caps and that georgeous steel wheels. It took me two years to find those wheels :)

31" is big compared to standard tyres, but still capable for light offroad. Some of my friend running 33" and do offroding with it, altough it's hurt the driveline :roll:
Thank you, :) i will take some interior Pictures once the interior is back in the car again, :) it's actually not bad at all, some rust, but not to bad at all, ;) it's a gasoline car.. i'm missing one of the hubcaps actually,.. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stripped out the interior today, and it wasn't bad actually, :) i got rid of those asphalt mats, (rust traps) ;) and it was just some surface rust underneath, thank God, :) so i will treat it With corroless rustkiller..
here's some Pictures:

in this first Picture you can also see the cd-player i just put in pioneer deh8400bt.

·
Registered
185 Posts
wow really nice trooper. I am currently trying to replicate the 1984 dlx in red using my 1991 with a 2.6.(carb'ed at some point) I love that look with the color scheme matched decals running down the side, black bumpers and color matched pillars. Your trooper is a real inspiration. Way to get at that rust before it becomes a real issue, It is never any fun dealing with that stuff. Looking forward to following your progress.
Ron

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shackleford said:
wow really nice trooper. I am currently trying to replicate the 1984 dlx in red using my 1991 with a 2.6.(carb'ed at some point) I love that look with the color scheme matched decals running down the side, black bumpers and color matched pillars. Your trooper is a real inspiration. Way to get at that rust before it becomes a real issue, It is never any fun dealing with that stuff. Looking forward to following your progress.
Ron
thank you.. :) it's nice to get feedback, i am very pleased with this truck, i will keep working on it tomorrow and keep posting, sounds like you have an interesting project going yourself, :) do you have a thread here in the member's ride's section?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Compared to mine, a '95 1st Gen, your Trooper looks relatively free of rust.

Is that Trooper still use original radio-cassette?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ubs_lover said:
Compared to mine, a '95 1st Gen, your Trooper looks relatively free of rust.

Is that Trooper still use original radio-cassette?
i think it holds up well for a 27 year old car, although i have to do some welding at the rear, on both sides under the body, but concidering the climate here in norway, it's in good overall shape i would say.. :) i have installed an aftermarket pioneer cd player in it, and a pair of 5,25inches infinity kappa speakers at the front.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Have you notice the big difference between your '86 with your previous 2.8TD ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ubs_lover said:
yes, there are differences, but not as i expected, i'm actually very pleased With the 2.3 petrol engine, before i bought it i expected it to be slower and much weaker than the 2.8td engine, but it's strong and smooth, and much quieter.. ;) and more responsive on the throttle, so overall i like the 4zd1 engine. :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
norwegianTrooperBoy said:
ubs_lover said:
yes, there are differences, but not as i expected, i'm actually very pleased With the 2.3 petrol engine, before i bought it i expected it to be slower and much weaker than the 2.8td engine, but it's strong and smooth, and much quieter.. ;) and more responsive on the throttle, so overall i like the 4zd1 engine. :)
Same feeling with me. I ever drove Trooper with C223, then 2.5L 4JA1. And couple of times trying my friend's 2.8L 4JB1T Trooper.
I can tell you that 2.3L 4ZD1 have torque at low rpm almost like diesel cousin. And since your 86 frame, engine and tranny weight is lighter than 2.8L TDI, it will gives better power to weight ratio.

Wow. That original carpet looks fantastic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ubs_lover said:
norwegianTrooperBoy said:
ubs_lover said:
Same feeling with me. I ever drove Trooper with C223, then 2.5L 4JA1. And couple of times trying my friend's 2.8L 4JB1T Trooper.
I can tell you that 2.3L 4ZD1 have torque at low rpm almost like diesel cousin. And since your 86 frame, engine and tranny weight is lighter than 2.8L TDI, it will gives better power to weight ratio.

Wow. That original carpet looks fantastic.
yes, the 4zd1 seems too have good bottom end torque, :) the carpet is in good condition, just need's some vacuming.. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This weekend as i browsed the internet, i actually came across some nice spare parts for my trooper, :) (basically the only trooper parts for sale on the internet in norway at the moment, ;) as there aren't many of these left in norway) and the good news was it was only like a 2 and a half hour drive from home, :) this guy had a complete 4zd1 engine, transmission, front and rear diffs, and some other small parts as well.. from a 86' lwb trooper just like mine, :) he had scrapped the car cause' of rust, it had done only about 180.000km.. i got some poor pictures in the dark... :/ but i will post some better pictures tomorrow... :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hey that's great. So it'll be for spare or you will use it?
I see that your Trooper still use single arm IFS and narrow rear 10-bolt axle, try to find wide 10-bolt rear axle for better stability. Or 4.56 12-bolt rear with LSD.

If you can find 2.2L Non-Turbo Diesel 5-speed Tranny you'll get lower 1st-3rd gear which will helps you to turn bigger tyre. Watch that the 2.2L Turbo Diesel has the same tranny as your current 2.3L, only different in bellhousing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ubs_lover said:
Hey that's great. So it'll be for spare or you will use it?
I see that your Trooper still use single arm IFS and narrow rear 10-bolt axle, try to find wide 10-bolt rear axle for better stability. Or 4.56 12-bolt rear with LSD.

If you can find 2.2L Non-Turbo Diesel 5-speed Tranny you'll get lower 1st-3rd gear which will helps you to turn bigger tyre. Watch that the 2.2L Turbo Diesel has the same tranny as your current 2.3L, only different in bellhousing.
It's always good to have extra parts.. :) yes this will be spare parts for my trooper, as everything seems to be in order at the moment, the only thing i've swapped to my truck is the distributor... these parts also comes from an 86'..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.