Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Acura SLX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced my rear shock absorbers today.
Tool Office supplies Wood Hand tool Auto part

I believe it was time.
This was one of those jobs where it seems engineers actually conspire against mechanics and DIYers. Upper connector at shock is just a nut and bolt, no problem..... Wrong guess.
You cannot get the box end of a wrench on the nut because of a rib in the frame. So open end of the wrench only. Drivers side you can use an impact, which is the side I started on. Not terrible but tough to hold backup.
Then passenger side, there is a bracket which prevents the use of an impact. So breaker bar on the bolt head and open end wrench on the nut. I cried. Only to wash all the rust flakes out of my eyes. But mission accomplished. Now on to the 200 other repairs this thing needs.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,176 Posts
That's pretty severe rust on those shocks. I think we all can identify with problems with shock removal and replacement. Welcome to our forum. Would just say, before you invest to much chasing the other 199 items you check your frame for severe rust (rot) Rust is ok, just not frame rot and it's most severe on the rear near shock and spring mounts, and you shouldn't be able to push a screwdriver through the frame.

Reactions: Assport96 and Broox

·
Registered
1996 Acura SLX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty severe rust on those shocks. I think we all can identify with problems with shock removal and replacement. Welcome to our forum. Would just say, before you invest to much chasing the other 199 items you check your frame for severe rust (rot) Rust is ok, just not frame rot and it's most severe on the rear near shock and spring mounts, and you shouldn't be able to push a screwdriver through the frame.
Hey man. Thanks for the advice! I finally crawled around under the rear like you suggested. I clearly have some rust but not rot! I need to get some pics of this thing before I get much further. Its just tough once I get working. Thanks

·
Registered
1996 Acura SLX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Today I made a trip to Pull a Part. I had good luck, if everything works. All the junk yard had was a 1994 trooper, but not many parts were gone. The thing I am most surprised by is finding that hitch. Two tailights, some brackets and switches. All of this for less than200$. I'm pleased.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts