Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After thinking about it for many years, I finally pulled the trigger on a JDM 4JG2T for the Rodeo. Received the engine back in march, progress was halted for most of April due to a family tragedy. Made some progress this month though so I still hope to finish before summer is over.

Basics of the project.

4JG2 3.1 turbo diesel w/ 5 speed. Factory turbo is going to be replaced with an IHI VF48 from a Subaru WRX STI, so I can turn the fuel up and still keep things cool. I'm thinking a 2.5" single exhaust from the turbo all the way back, haven't decided on what muffler yet.

Installing a front air locker, I picked up one of the Chinese ARB knockoffs from TRE. Will also drop the front diff brackets 1.5"

I will see how the stock torsion bars handle the weight of the diesel (it's not that much more then the 6VD1) but maybe upgrading to HD torsion bars too.

Eventually would like to add rock sliders, and winch bumper too, but that may have to wait til next winter.

I'll try and share as much as I remember to here, just to grow the knowledge base. I will for sure be learning as I go.

Pictures:

Got stuck bringing the new engine home. (should have chained up) My road is very steep and it was one of those spring days when it warms up just enough to make the hardpack super slick. Had to get a buddy in his 1 ton ford with chains to help me up the hill.

Got it home and unloaded in the garage.

Obligatory before shots

I do have more done now, I'll catch up in further posts.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part 1; Out with the Old.

I learned that sliding a 6VD1 out with the MUA 5 attached is a tight squeeze, but possible. After disconnecting everything I struggled for a while to no avail, turns out the oil pan will not clear the front diff, I pulled the oil pan and it just barely fits. The oil sump pickup still kept hanging up on things, and I did bend the pinch seam that is right under the brake lines on the firewall. Also you can see I snagged an AC line and bent it good on the way out, I don't think it's cracked though, so it's all good.

Oh and I removed the exhaust with a recip saw. Screw those rusted on exhaust nuts.

Took me best part of a Saturday afternoon to get it out.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part 2; Turbo & Stuff

I picked up a reman turbo from eBay. It's a IHI VF48 meant for Subaru WRX STI from 2015ish I think. It's definitely bigger then the factory turbo, and according to the Subaru guys should make 14.5 psi boost with the stock wastegate actuator setup. The 4JG2T manual says the original wastegate is set to 11psi, so the 3psi boost plus more cfm it should let it eat more fuel happily.

I ordered an adapter plate from 460EFIguys, they're in Colorado, and for whatever reason have these adapters in addition to all the EFI swap stuff they sell. I could have fabbed an adapter myself but if figured it's not worth the time. The kit also comes with some brackets to lift the intercooler an inch higher on the turbo side, but I figured a way I won't need to use those.

I had to spin the middle of the turbo in relation to the turbine side in order to get the oil and coolant lines to line up. I had to bend the pressure oil line a bit to make it work, the oil return and coolant lines where no issue. Then I had to spin the compressor housing to get it pointed the right way to line up with the intercooler.

Because I reclocked the compressor housing, the bracket for the wastegate actuator would no longer line up with the mounting holes on the compressor housing, so I had to weld a little tab extension to that bracket. Lastly I had to bend the air fitting going into the wastegate actuator just a bit so I could get a line on it.

On the intercooler side, I got rid of the factory elbow into the intercooler which had a butterfly valve in it for cold start/warm up. It was a smaller inlet, and with the bigger turbo doesn't line up at all. So I ditched it and fabbed up a new piece with just the right angle so that a silicon elbow will match it up to the turbo.

Bigger turbo all hooked up. The fitting on the adapter plate will be for an EGT probe.

Small tab I welded to the wastegate actuator so it would bolt up after reclocking the compressor housing.

Reclocking the compressor housing meant I had to bend the little air inlet to the wastegate diaphragm too. I stuck a piece of wire inside it so it wouldn't kink, and just heated with a torch to bend it.

Factory intercooler inlet piece, next to what I fabbed up. Just some 2.5" SS pipe and 3/16 SS plate. Using this custom fitting means I won't have to lift the intercooler on the right side. I got a 2.5" to 2" silicon elbow that will mate the turbo to that piece. I won't have the butterfly valve there for quick warm up. But I don't have all the control stuff for that system to work anyway.

Next part on the turbo/exhaust will be to fab a downpipe.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cool project. Any progress? Hope all is well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts