Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Drove down to San Diego this past weekend to pick up some soft top hardware that a guy from an Amigo FB group was kind enough to pull for me from an Amigo that just hit his local Pick-a-Part yard. I also bought an old soft top from him to convert into a bikini top. The windows were busted, and the rear zip on window is missing, so it was the perfect candidate. I cut the window flaps but kept them attached so that I can roll them down if I so desire. I will probably replace the clear plastic when I find a suitable material or may opt for some sort of mesh option.

Anyways - pics!
Stopped in San Clemente on the ride home

The girl showing off her new bikini

·
Registered
164 Posts
tylerruinstrucks said:
Drove down to San Diego this past weekend to pick up some soft top hardware that a guy from an Amigo FB group was kind enough to pull for me from an Amigo that just hit his local Pick-a-Part yard. I also bought an old soft top from him to convert into a bikini top. The windows were busted, and the rear zip on window is missing, so it was the perfect candidate. I cut the window flaps but kept them attached so that I can roll them down if I so desire. I will probably replace the clear plastic when I find a suitable material or may opt for some sort of mesh option.

Anyways - pics!
Stopped in San Clemente on the ride home

The girl showing off her new bikini
That looks fantastic! Beautiful Amigo

·
Registered
32 Posts
The new tops look great! Thank you for posting the hood latch lock photos. It is interesting for me. When I had my open top Amigo years ago, I actually pad locked the hood through the grille. These trucks are VERY easy to hot wire and I had put a ton of work into mine at the time so I wanted to make sure I could disable the vehicle and be able to lock out it from the curious folk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Pulled an AC system from a 94 XS that rolled into my local Pull-A-Part today. No clue if it will work but... worth a shot!

·
Registered
32 Posts
tylerruinstrucks said:
Pulled an AC system from a 94 XS that rolled into my local Pull-A-Part today. No clue if it will work but... worth a shot!
Nice, I just went through that with my Rodeo. I grabbed every component and tube there was off the salvage vehicle and I got lucky and everything works like a charm. I made a post with some notes from my experience on my thread linked below and there is also link to a quality YouTube video showing how to charge an AC system within that post.

https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=145837#p5527659

Hopefully your truck already has the wiring in place because then its actually a really easy job. Bolt up and charge. Harbor Freight has all the tools, o rings, and refrigerant you'll need but I had to get UV dye, compressor oil, refrigerant can tap, and an AC system schrader valve kit from Oreilly's.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,175 Posts
I know on my 89 (no air), it does not have the required A/C switch on the dash control panel. The wiring may be there though as I haven't checked that far yet. You know, the one that lights blue when the air is on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I THINK all the wiring is present. And the previous owner gave me a AC faceplate that includes the button to engage the AC so hopefully I'm good on that front. Not sure when I'll actually start on this project. I think I'm going to replace my radiator soon, so I'll probably wait until then to do it all when I have maximum access.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey all,

Just dropping by with some pics of a recent off-roading adventure I took in the Angeles National Forest. My rig is 2WD but my 33" A/Ts handled a couple dicey spots very well. She'll never be a rock crawler but its nice to know I can still get out there and off the beaten path. For anyone in the LA area, check out the drive from Big Tujunga Canyon Rd to Mount Pacifico campground. The final stretch is a 5 mi bumpy dirt road that winds its way up to an elevation of 7,000 ft. Great views and not too long a drive.

Album:

·
Registered
1989 Isuzu Pickup 4WD 2.6 5sp
109 Posts
Looking great! My other truck is 2wd and I've considered adding a 2 speed transfer case from a 4wd just to get low range (and skipping the front drive train). In my Trooper I rarely bothered to jump out and lock the hubs so spent most of my time in the backcountry in 2wd Low range and the truck was capable as hell.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
szac said:
Looking great! My other truck is 2wd and I've considered adding a 2 speed transfer case from a 4wd just to get low range (and skipping the front drive train). In my Trooper I rarely bothered to jump out and lock the hubs so spent most of my time in the backcountry in 2wd Low range and the truck was capable as hell.
Thanks! I don't know what that swap would entail but it sounds like a good plan! I was in 1st and 2nd basically the whole time and only got slightly stuck once in a little patch of sandy gravel. But I was able to get out without too much hassle.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I also used 2-lo all the time with my Amigo. Makes towing a loaded trailer up a tight, steep, switch back much easier.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Tyler,
Do you have an open diff or the G80 LSD? If an open diff, swap in a G80.

Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
gruff54 said:
Tyler,
Do you have an open diff or the G80 LSD? If an open diff, swap in a G80.

Mike
Hey Mike! Pretty sure I have just whatever stock differential it rolled off the lot with. I read a ~little~ about the G80 swap but it was a bit over my head. What sort of hassle is it? Both cost and time wise?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Most '92 -'97 Troopers came with a G80 rear. Simplified version: rotate or remove rear brake calipers to clear brake discs, remove the 4 outer axle bearing keeper bolts, slide each axle out a couple inches, unbolt driveshaft from rear diff, remove diff center section (careful! it's heavy) Been a few years since I pulled one, but I think this is close. Also, my part terminology may not be 100% correct. Feel free to correct me folks!

Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks Mike!

And from what I understand... G80 LSD is better than open diff, but a locker would be better than the LSD. Is that right? But the downside of the locker's is that they aren't super durable and the LSD will be better for regular around-town driving?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Most any locker should be plenty durable, the vehicle just loses street manners if you drive around locked. A permanent locker is easier to deal with in the rear than the front, but an LSD will be cheap and useful for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey all, it’s been awhile. Love the new site refresh!

I blew out another tire in July so Amigo was shelved while I figured out what I wanted to replace them with. Ended up going from 33s to these 31” Wrangler Duratracs. Got a screaming friends&family discount. Also got the snowflakes out of my garage and onto the damn truck. (Also discovered my fifth snowflake is a 16, not 15 —- anyone wanna trade??)

Will be taking off the body kit lift soon and then probably doing torsion bar crank and shackles to get a 1.5 to 2” lift.

I can already tell she’s much happier rolling on 31s

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

21 - 39 of 39 Posts