Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Over 15 years ago, my first car was my dad's old 1990 Trooper. I am now rejoining the Isuzu family with this fantastic little Amigo I picked up in Phoenix last weekend. 124k miles. 2.6L 5-speed. 2WD. 33" tires. 3" lift. Drove her all the way back to Los Angeles without any problems (minus the rear passenger tire delaminating at 60mph and doing some damage to the body and cracking my taillight :cry: ).

I've got a carpet on it's way from Stock Interiors, a new OEM shifter boot from the legendary Jerry and have a lot of other fun little projects in mind including a custom tire cover and eventually adding A/C.

html upload image

Looks so good in the desert. We camped outside Phoenix for the night before heading home. These big A/T tires handled the rocky dirt roads fine, even with just 2WD.

My son came on the trip. Made him earn his keep with window washes at the gas stations.

Appreciate all I've learned here so far and thank you all in advance for the future help I'm sure I'll need.

Tyler

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Added sound deadening material plus new black carpet from StockInteriors.com!

Still need to reassemble dash (and pass smog) but she's comin' along!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fit pretty good! They leave you a alot of extra margins that you have to trim. It would have been easier if I had an old carpet to trim against but instead I had to kinda just figure it out as I went. It's far from a professional install, but it's great for my needs. The shifter area and the firewall are definitely the trickiest. In hindsight, I probably should have just bought the full kit that included the cargo area and wheel wells. At the time I didnt want to spend the extra $100, but to order on it's own with shipping, its at least $150. that said, I think I may do a spray bedliner in the cargo area so it wont really matter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had to trim a few inches to get it correct at the firewall but the transmission tunnel is pretty spot on. I'd say I got it about 95% right. For 200$ for whatever, it's a no brainer if you've been considering it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah man. Wherever you can get the best deal on the ACC molded carpet. StockInteriors is just a authorized reseller.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First time poppin the top! I was surprised how easy it was to do it myself. Now just need to rig up one of those hard top holders for the garage.

Driving around without the top was a gamechanger. The truck was already fun but it's really at it's best going topless. As long as I can get this thing to pass smog, it's going to be the perfect weekend fun truck I hoped it would be.

Here's a little video of the Amigo's new carpet. I cant believe how much quieter it is now with the sound dampening material + carpet kit. Engine is just a low rumble now, and almost inaudible when music is playing.

Here's the sound proofing stuff I used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751CBXBT/
36 sq ft was enough for passenger area and doors with enough left over that I could probably do the roof if I wanted to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good-eye! It is a locking hood latch -- but it's also busted. I mean, the lock works, but the actual latch is snapped off, so I have to just pull the rod. Super annoying. I'll eventually figure out a new handle to attach there. Maybe have my brother 3D print me something.

Also, I love the idea of the astro turf. A friend did that in the bed of his VW pickup-van and it was awesome. If this Amigo was in rougher condition, I definitely would have gone the more jokey route, but with how nice the interior is, I felt like i had to treat the little lady a bit better :lol:

And in another update: A couple Amigo centric FB groups have come up clutch for me in the pursuit of a soft top. One guy in Virginia shipped me an original OEM top in great condition (just one broken zipper which is an easy fix) for $100 and a guy down in San Diego pulled all the hardware for me (support bar, tie downs, weather stripping with the snaps) off a junkyard find for another $100.

Now, I probably dont NEED a soft top (given So Cal weather) so it's probably just the completionist in me + the fact they get rarer by the day -- but for about $200, it seems worth it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are some pics of the locking hood release. I have to wonder... were that many people breaking into Amigo hoods that a lock made sense?? I suppose it might be a decent place to install a little lockbox where I can store valuables when I'm rolling topless or soft-top. Hmmmmmmm :idea:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Drove down to San Diego this past weekend to pick up some soft top hardware that a guy from an Amigo FB group was kind enough to pull for me from an Amigo that just hit his local Pick-a-Part yard. I also bought an old soft top from him to convert into a bikini top. The windows were busted, and the rear zip on window is missing, so it was the perfect candidate. I cut the window flaps but kept them attached so that I can roll them down if I so desire. I will probably replace the clear plastic when I find a suitable material or may opt for some sort of mesh option.

Anyways - pics!
Stopped in San Clemente on the ride home

The girl showing off her new bikini

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Pulled an AC system from a 94 XS that rolled into my local Pull-A-Part today. No clue if it will work but... worth a shot!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I THINK all the wiring is present. And the previous owner gave me a AC faceplate that includes the button to engage the AC so hopefully I'm good on that front. Not sure when I'll actually start on this project. I think I'm going to replace my radiator soon, so I'll probably wait until then to do it all when I have maximum access.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey all,

Just dropping by with some pics of a recent off-roading adventure I took in the Angeles National Forest. My rig is 2WD but my 33" A/Ts handled a couple dicey spots very well. She'll never be a rock crawler but its nice to know I can still get out there and off the beaten path. For anyone in the LA area, check out the drive from Big Tujunga Canyon Rd to Mount Pacifico campground. The final stretch is a 5 mi bumpy dirt road that winds its way up to an elevation of 7,000 ft. Great views and not too long a drive.

Album:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
szac said:
Looking great! My other truck is 2wd and I've considered adding a 2 speed transfer case from a 4wd just to get low range (and skipping the front drive train). In my Trooper I rarely bothered to jump out and lock the hubs so spent most of my time in the backcountry in 2wd Low range and the truck was capable as hell.
Thanks! I don't know what that swap would entail but it sounds like a good plan! I was in 1st and 2nd basically the whole time and only got slightly stuck once in a little patch of sandy gravel. But I was able to get out without too much hassle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
gruff54 said:
Tyler,
Do you have an open diff or the G80 LSD? If an open diff, swap in a G80.

Mike
Hey Mike! Pretty sure I have just whatever stock differential it rolled off the lot with. I read a ~little~ about the G80 swap but it was a bit over my head. What sort of hassle is it? Both cost and time wise?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks Mike!

And from what I understand... G80 LSD is better than open diff, but a locker would be better than the LSD. Is that right? But the downside of the locker's is that they aren't super durable and the LSD will be better for regular around-town driving?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey all, it’s been awhile. Love the new site refresh!

I blew out another tire in July so Amigo was shelved while I figured out what I wanted to replace them with. Ended up going from 33s to these 31” Wrangler Duratracs. Got a screaming friends&family discount. Also got the snowflakes out of my garage and onto the damn truck. (Also discovered my fifth snowflake is a 16, not 15 —- anyone wanna trade??)

Will be taking off the body kit lift soon and then probably doing torsion bar crank and shackles to get a 1.5 to 2” lift.

I can already tell she’s much happier rolling on 31s

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts