Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 685 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new here.

I just bought a 1988 trooper for 500 dollars.

Reason for the cheap price, is because there was a fire in the engine compartment.

A bunch of wiring is burned up. And who knows what else.

I know that the only way to know for sure what is damaged, and/or needs replaced, is to just dive in and start removing things. Starting with the injector body.

But before I get started, I thought I'd come in here, and see if anyone has any idea what I am in for...

The fire was at the back of the engine, near the coil.

Here are some pictures.

(links edited out, by Selador. Since they don't work, anyway.)

The damage obviously goes much farther down than I am able to photograph.

Has anyone else seen this particular kind of fire, in this area, before ?

Does anyone have any idea what I am going to have to replace ?

I will be getting started on tearing into the engine, by the end of the week.

But it sure would be nice to hear from someone else with experience, before I do.

EDIT: I can't upload pictures. And I can't embed pictures. Is this a newby thing ? :) (Hey, at least my post doesn't insist on running together into one big paragraph. LOL)

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Here you go.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
If you could upload your photos to imageshack, then we would not have to register to see them.

EDIT: Nevermind, shooter fixed it !!!!!

Welcome to the planet by the way....

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
imamonstertruck said:
If you could upload your photos to imageshack, then we would not have to register to see them.

EDIT: Nevermind, shooter fixed it !!!!!

Welcome to the planet by the way....

cheers
-Ian
Funny, I copied / pasted only the http and hit return. It said something about registering and I was fixing to punt. Looked further and it had my id/password filled in. It's a site I joined ages ago and rarely go to. :lol:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shooter said:
Welcome to the forum. Here you go.
Wow that was fast !!

Thank you.

I think I'm going to like it here.

:)

Is the inability to upload pictures a newby thing, or is uploading pics not done here ?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
You're welcome . Yeah, there's super folks here. I'm sure we just added another. :) Give this a few days for some responses being the holidays and all. I'm sure help will come your way. Unlike so may forums, most people here get a bigger kick out of helping others than they do showing their rides and talking smack. But we do also enjoy looking at all the vehicles.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
So right now I see the harness going to both the distributor and the coil is pretty much done in.. The black connector with the embedded thin wire looks to be either the throttle valve switch or throttle position sensor connector. A few vacuum lines and that's about all I see. That transducer (ufo looking thing) probably took a hit. Hard to determine if the heat was enough to destroy the innards of any sensors to include the distributor. If not, this should be no big deal. If you need a new sensor or two, it appears the damages was limited to an area which is easily accessible; unlike most of the engine compartment. These parts are probably cheap and easy to get at a salvage yard if you have one nearby. Are we pretty much seeing the extent of the damage?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shooter said:
You're welcome . Yeah, there's super folks here. I'm sure we just added another. :) Give this a few days for some responses being the holidays and all. I'm sure help will come your way. Unlike so may forums, most people here get a bigger kick out of helping others than they do showing their rides and talking smack. But we do also enjoy looking at all the vehicles.
I've always enjoyed helping others.

Looking forward to doing so here, once I've learned a thing or six, myself.

This fire damage looks scary, on the surface.

But I've seen, and repaired worse, I think.

Before I consider myself finished with the repair, I will know not only what is damaged, but why it was damaged in the first place. And if possible, I will make sure it never happens again.

I've heard of isuzus having this kind of fire, before. In this same area. (That's why I asked the question.) Something to do with fuel lines, or oil leaks. But I've never seen one. Hopefully this is going to be something simpler.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that the previous owner had taken a wire loose, and just left it lay while he tried to start it.

Almost seems certain, given the fact that the fire was put out with a fire extinguisher. I know for a fact that there never was one in the vehicle. So it seems the fire has to have happened when the hood was open, and there was ready access to the fire extinguisher, in a garage, or something.

Bottom line, if it was caused by something dumb that he did, he'll never admit it, let alone tell me about it. LOL So I am just going to have to suss out the solution on my own.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Selador said:
Is the inability to upload pictures a newby thing, or is uploading pics not done here ?
It's normally a newbie thing. I can't find the problem with your strings. You have the correct things going. You shouldn't have a problem using imageshack or photobucket. As you already did, we prefer the pics to be of sufficient size as to not require the need to do extensive lateral scrolling. These are perfectly sized to get the point across.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shooter said:
So right now I see the harness going to both the distributor and the coil is pretty much done in.. The black connector with the embedded thin wire looks to be either the throttle valve switch or throttle position sensor connector. A few vacuum lines and that's about all I see. That transducer (ufo looking thing) probably took a hit. Hard to determine if the heat was enough to destroy the innards of any sensors to include the distributor. If not, this should be no big deal. If you need a new sensor or two, it appears the damages was limited to an area which is easily accessible; unlike most of the engine compartment. These parts are probably cheap and easy to get at a salvage yard if you have one nearby. Are we pretty much seeing the extent of the damage?
Agreed.

But I think there is more damage than can be seen. I think it goes down further.

Unless there really isn't much wiring down further ??? That's why I think I have to take the injector body off of there. To see what, if anything wwas damaged below it.

My own immediate assessment:

Possibly the coil, needs replaced.

The condensor there by the coil will no doubt have to be replaced.

Any wires and connectors in the area, of course.

The transducer was something I wondered about. Since that seems to be just vacum stuff. bit then it does look like it melted a bit, so it's likely it was damaged...

Vacum lines, of course.

And the black box looking thing that is probably the throttle sensors.

And last but definitely not least, the distributor is one thing I'd rather not have to dink with, but I don't see how it could have come out of this unscathed.

As I said earlier... Half of why this seems a bit "scary", is the fact that I really do not know what is down below what we can see here. There may be nothing down there to get damaged. I have no idea...

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
We'll get her figured out. Like you said, first order of business is to attempt to discover the cause and origin of the fire. Most likely, even without the cause, you'll now have grounds and hots shorting under there. This will be a little tedious but a doer I believe. I have the electrical manual for the 88 which should be of some help.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shooter said:
Selador said:
It's normally a newbie thing. I can't find the problem with your strings. You have the correct things going. You shouldn't have a problem using imageshack or photobucket. As you already did, we prefer the pics to be of sufficient size as to not require the need to do extensive lateral scrolling. These are perfectly sized to get the point across.
Having to scroll sideways is one of my pet peeves.

You guessed my motives exactly. I wanted pics that were big enough to actually show detail that would be useful. But not so big as to take a long time loading, or to cause side-scrolling.

I've been on forums before where more than half of the posting options don't work, on purpoae, until you have been there for a proscribed amount of time. So this didn't surprise me. Just made me curious.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Welcome, FNG (favorite new guy)!

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
The only black box I'm aware of is finned and located on the bottom of the intake manifold passenger side, near the rear end of the manifold. PITA to access.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shooter said:
We'll get her figured out. Like you said, first order of business is to attempt to discover the cause and origin of the fire. Most likely, even without the cause, you'll now have grounds and hots shorting under there. This will be a little tedious but a doer I believe. I have the electrical manual for the 88 which should be of some help.
I have the Haynes. But their diagrams aren't always all that useful.

I remember the first chilton manuals for amatuers that came out. THOSE had some really good wiring diagrams. Complete, too.

~~~

I do get a good feeling about this forum/community.

I also have a feeling that this trooper is likely to become my favorite toy, once I get it on the road again.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Are you out west somewhere? One thing to do is to start cataloging (that don't look right) the lengths of damaged wiring harnesses . You can cut those harnesses (with connectors) or in some cases get the whole things. That will keep your wire colors correct. Going to bed.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MarkB.NV said:
Welcome, FNG (favorite new guy)!
Favorite isn't the word we used, back in the day.

;)

Thank you for your response.

Good detail.

And you are making me wish the pull-a-part was open 24/7/365. LOL

I'll probably tear into this slowly. Trying to keep track of everything.

In the end, I'll test every part that can be tested with a volt/ohm meter. Before just running out and getting any new parts.

And I'll try to get ALL of that wiring out in one big piece. If I can carry a hunk of wiring harness into the P.A.P. with me, I'll have a better chance of getting all the wiring and connectors that I actually need.

~~~

Oh, and hey ! I just realized that I forgot to ask all the newby questions.

Um, let's see...

How much is it going to cost to fix my trooper ?

What is the best radio ?

Where is the headlight switch ?

Can someone tell me step by step and with pictures, everything I am going to need to know, to rebuild my engine ?

;)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Oh, and hey ! I just realized that I forgot to ask all the newby questions.
Just don't start any "best oil" threads, and you'll be okay. Probably goes in that list with religion and politics. :roll:

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
You'll do. Don't get the big head though. :lol:

1 - 20 of 685 Posts