Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, here's my 88 spacecab.
Background
The truck was originally an undercover police truck for two years and still sports the original 'Colorado Police Force 1990' stickers in the front quarter windows. In late 1990 My Father purchased it and the rest is history :D He daily drove, weekend wheeled, camped, fished, etc. until around 2008. My earliest memories are with him and the pickup camping, him picking me up from school and so on thus the truck holds deep sentimental value to him and I. It was the vehicle I learned to drive on at the ripe age of 11 on mountain roads up in the Colorado Rockies.

When I got my license my father gifted me the truck and I dailed it for a while; reveling in my freedom of transportation. I wound up finding a 4ze1 short block with 35k miles on Craigslist for a steal and while it didn't necessarily need it, I rebuilt the engine my Junior year in high school using the low mileage block and all new valvetrain including a delta 260 cam. Over the years I also set about finding new or better parts here and there; a bed that wasn't Swiss-cheesed with rust, sun visor clips that weren't cracked, and the like. Then the year before I went off to college, I decided to do a full, body on, restoration to the best of my ability. My father, a family friend, and I set about stripping the truck down to the cab only and replaced near enough every suspension component, steering component, fixed the A/C, sandblasted the frame and fixed rust holes there, all new CVs, new hub bearings, all drivetrain seals, refreshed differentials and tranny and finally rust-proofing the frame and painting the exterior.

I'll throw a full build thread up sometime with extensive pictures of the process. It's still not done, the interior needs work as seats are ripped and carped is stained, but most mechanical and cosmetic issues have been taken care of. I can't really work on it while I'm at college due to not having a shop or garage, working and going to school, and the winters are, shall we say, not the kindest up here :lol:

Mods
Engine - Rebuilt 4ze1, Delta 260 cam

Drivetrain - Exedy Daikan 'OEM' clutch

Suspension - Swayaway HD torsion bars slightly cranked, Old Man Emu Nitrocharger shocks, Old Man Emu Dakar CS028R leaf springs with one leaf removed (provides 1.5in lift over stock), ball joint flip and 0.25in spacers, low profile bump stops, custom CNC'd 0.75" lift over stock rear shackles (I have the CAD files if anyone is interested), polyurethane bushings. 2.0in lift front, 2.25in lift rear

Brakes - Drilled and slotted rotors front, slotted rear, ceramic pads

Wheels - 16x8.0in OZ Racing Crono 4x4 imported from Japan

Tires - 265/75 R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3

Body - Drop in bedliner, re-polished door handles, new bumpers, OEM mudflaps, new chrome grill, HID headlights, 2in frame mounted receiver hitch, Painted in BMW Carbon Black (very dark with blue metal flake) PPG code 37617

Interior - Kenwood KDC X599, JBL 6x9s rear, JBL 5" front, New shift boot, LED map, dome, and puddle lights.

Pictures

Wish list/future mods
LSD
Megasquirt ECU - I'd love to get into tuning cars
Adjustable cam gear
OEM Recaro seats from a JDM Bighorn Irmscher, or just some Recaro LX style seats
Custom off road bumpers and rock sliders

Long term (5+yrs)
Forged rods, pistons, jerry cam, low pressure turbo setup :twisted:

Longshot dream:
Custom front suspension setup running tubular control arms, coilovers, custom CVs for long travel
Custom 4 link rear suspension with cantilever actuated coilovers in the rear (to still have a fully functioning bed)

So yeah, there's my truck. Apologies for the long post but I tried to get as much information down as possible. I'll add the before and build pics in when I can get them (they're on my father's computer) and I'll be sure to keep updating when progress is made.

Cheers

Edited because photobucket sucks

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Great to see your truck. Great history / story. Story is not too long. Best of luck with your mods. If you haven't, post a picture in the "Planet Spacecab" thread. Our numbers are rising :D. Dennis

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,190 Posts
Saw your post in the new members section. Your way ahead of most all new members in your knowledge and experience, and it's great to see another space cab build. Keep posting your progress.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I definitely love the truck and plan to keep it in the family, passing down like my father did. The idea is a resto-mod of sorts with reliability and serviceability as the primary objectives...Then power and offroad mods can come :twisted:

Here's a few pictures of the during process, not much but it's all I have available right now. I have literally hundreds of before, during, and after pictures but they're just sitting on a hard drive about 200 miles away. Progress will be slow during the school year but around May until August it should pick up again.

Getting ready to pull the engine

Old engine out

Replacing the bed

The rust was much worse on the side I didn't take a picture of...go figure

The ladybug as she was known at that point for obvious reasons

Fast forward a bit to our ghetto sandblasting setup

Big a** rust hole

After sandblasting

After rust proofing and fixing big a** rust hole

Those are just ones I had on my phone but they show a little of the tear down and reassembly process.

Edited because photobucket sucks

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Suscribed! Looks great, mine also has rust on the passenger side around the gas filler area

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been a while but the ol' truck is running great. Not much in the way of build progress per se - it's mostly just been maintenance/replacing things as needed. Although I have added a Kenwood KAC-1804 4ch amplifier to the sound system. Fixed the sunroof drains and used some thicker and stronger polyethylene tubing to do so (1/4" inner diameter if anyone is interested). Fixed a stripped stud on the exhaust manifold and an exhaust leak at the flex pipe. Adjusted the valves. Having some pinion angle shims machined currently as it likes to eat carrier bearings and vibrate on takeoff.

Anyways, here are a few pictures of the shenanigans I've been up to:

Pic taken after about 2hrs of digging with a simple ice scraper. I learned pretty quick to a) not be an idiot b)carry a shovel haha

Learned my lesson :lol:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Must have missed this one. Very nice ride. Mines an '88 as well.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Thanks for pics. Great rebuilt ,super job on frame. :)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Good lookin Space Cab you got there! Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers everyone!

Been a while and the Spacecab had been running great...until it wasn't. Decided the best time to kill its fuel pump was Christmas eve :banghead: . So, while it was apart, along with the fuel pump, it is getting an ignition system refresh. Put in a better designed set of leaf spring shims and corrected the pinion angle as well.

Also picked up a set of goodies from Australia

Dual valve springs and Ti retainers

Have a reason for the overkill springs coming sometime down the road but it involves some Impulse parts, positive manifold pressure, and the need for a much stouter clutch :twisted:

Oh and a few months back I had destroyed the auto hub on the passenger side so I replaced those with some new AISIN manual hubs.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Great to hear it is still running around. I lost my fuel pump back in September, I then chased down some body parts and had it painted! I just can't help myself sometimes. I keep wondering how long my auto hubs will last but I am going to keep them as long as I can. Just to lazy to get out and turn them in. I have a set of aisin hubs just waiting for the time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been a while since the last update, got a few new items for the old girl.

First was a set of Bilstein 5165 rear shocks...dear god they are so much better than the trash OME's I had lol. Before the pitchforks come out, the Old Man Emus are a solid shock just valved improperly for my needs and application. I'm sure they'd work much better on a Trooper but without the weight over the *** end they rode like a mack truck. Enter these Bilsteins, I was able to find them in a light valving configuration at 170/60 rebound and compression respectively and it not only tracks way better over washboard and tarmac imperfections but soaks up large hits like potholes in a much better manner. The OME Dakar springs are a little high in spring rate to be truly optimal but it is now at an acceptable level where I'm fine leaving it until a later date. Another plus is greater traction in deep snow due to reduced bouncing and wheel hop. Part # is 25-176223 for those interested, a slightly pricey but definitely worth it option. Will be looking for a suitable front option, contenders are revalved OEM KYB reservoir shocks from a Vehicross, or Bilstein 7100s valved at 265/70 part# B46-0493VW. On a side note, anyone interested in some OME Nitrocharger Sport's :lol:

Picked up a 10 bolt LSD from the rear of a JR Impulse, will be re shimming for tighter lock then throwing in the front when the weather gets better. Looking but not hopeful of finding some cheap 4.77s (aren't we all lol). Also have poly bushings from Nolathane for the control arms. Not looking forward to the job but it needs to be done, especially since the DS axle seal is leaking :banghead:

Have sourced new spring washers and friction plates for a 12 bolt LSD so I can re shim it for higher lock up as well. Also have the tool to test lock up force and will report back here findings. May have finally tracked one down after being screwed over by multiple junk yards claiming to have one.

Also picked up a spare engine that supposedly has a Jerry cam in for $150. Came with a pace setter header as well. That block is going to get stripped and will be the basis for a fully forged bottom end and paired with those dual valve springs and TI retainers on my low CR head to handle boost. Unsure of how the Jerry cam will take to boost so I might get a cam ground with less overlap, but that is down the road.

In the mean time I wrapped the pace setter in some TI heat wrap and threw it on with a 2.25in magnaflow muffler and 90* turndown before the axle.

And the most recent development, my heater core is going out so I'll be doing that soon. Always something haha.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the compliment. I'm still slowly accumulating parts but have not gotten into the forged/megasquirt build. Looks like MS discontinued the diypnp and I got one of the last unassembled kits. Your best bet if you want a plug in solution would probably be making a jumper harness out of a connector salvaged from a dead/spare ECU. The same connector style (with different pinouts) was used in 16v 4AGE and 22RE Toyotas

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Glad to see this is still out there. It had been awhile.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.