Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my illness is progressively getting worse (obviously). As many of you know from reading here, I am attempting to buy a 94 trooper. I am super excited about it. It needs a few things, but it's cheap ($1500), and runs, needs are mostly cosmetic. BUT, I am waiting on money (work owes me reimbursement for travel expenses...yada, yada, yada), and there is always the chance that somebody will show up with cash and I will end up trooperless, so I've been combing craigslist for a backup plan. And I find a super sweet 90 trooper, no visible rust, looks straight, 4 cyl, 5spd, new tires, etc. And, I want it....too. (A little more money, but still reasonable), and then there is one for only $600, needs a head gasket. I've done a head gasket on a land cruiser before....I could do that....

Good thing I"m poor or I'd have a freaking trooper farm growing in my back yard.

While i'm on the subject, and to have some type of reasonable thread here, (and I know I can probably do a search, and I probably will, but this is convenient, and you're all reading it anyway), Would I be happy with the 4 cyl, 5 spd combo? It's not like my cruiser had a bunch of power, manual tranny can make up for some low power issues, but I've never EVER, had a 4cyl in a truck/suv before.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
fowldarr said:
Would I be happy with the 4 cyl, 5 spd combo?
Yes.

You'd also be happy wearing a pink tutu, dating a hippo, and swinging a yak hair lasso, in a yugo.

How the hell are we supposed to know what you would and wouldn't be happy with ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Define "happy" A 2.6 with a stick is a good runner, very dependable. Now, will it tow 10,000 lbs......NO! Will it pass 5 cars in a row on a short 2-lane road?.......NO! BUT, for everyday driving and playing, it's fine. I have a 2.6 with a stick, a 2.6 with an automatic and a 3.5. My dream combo for one of the first gens would be a 3.5 with a 5-speed. But as long as the 2.6's are still running 9or at least easy repair) I'll drive them as is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Selador said:
fowldarr said:
Yes.

You'd also be happy wearing a pink tutu, dating a hippo, and swinging a yak hair lasso, in a yugo.

How the hell are we supposed to know what you would and wouldn't be happy with ?

Have you been spying on me? That is down right creepy.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
fowldarr said:
Selador said:
fowldarr said:
Yes.

Have you been spying on me? That is down right creepy.
That, it is.

:wink: :D :D :D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Like others have said, there's no way of knowing what you expect in a truck, but many of us are happy with our 5 speed 4 bangers. That was what I chose.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I'm surprised everyone likes the 3.4 ??? It's not one of Chevys best motors. If that's what your referring to .... I am or use to be a die hard chevy fan!!! I just never heard good things about the 2.8 and that run of motors. Sorry to be a dud.
I loved my 2.6 with the 5 speed excellent/dependable combo!!!
The power of my 3.2 with the same 5 speed. Well I just hope I don't get a high speed ticket !!!! Lol

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have no knowledge of the 3.4, but my brother in law who was born with Chevy in his blood. told me to avoid the 2.8 when I was looking to buy my Trooper. Something about the bottom end if I remember.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
For one thing it's the 60 deg angle of the block. It throws off conecting rod angle and creates more side thrust on the pistons. For some reason the eat cams and lifters. The ford 2.8 has solid lifters and for some reason they hold up better. They made a lot of them (chevy) and I spose if you ran them nice and serviced them you'd have hopefully good results. Some of the chevy 4.3's had offset rod journals making a week link so ???? Good thing is the bell housing bolt battern is compatible with other engines.
For tride and true dependability deffinetly a 2.6 with a five speed. Mine had 130,000 on it when I got probly ran hard!!! I put a cam and header into it, had over 200,000 and still didnt use oil!!! Ran awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts