Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I have a slow clutch fluid leak. I've checked all the lines, bleeder valves, master cylinder reservoir and slave cylinder etc and they are all bone dry. Yet there is fluid pooling on the bottom of the bell housing.

Does anybody know what this could be indicative of? Is it seal related or is there something serious about to happen? The truck is currently for sale pending the fix and I'd rather fix something and hike up the price than sell a lemon.

I'm just looking for a bit of direction from the experts on this site. I really, really don't want to have to drop this transmission.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Well if it is in fact a leak from the clutch system you wont have to drop the transmission. How is the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder? If it is full then you have a leak from something else.

What is the fluid like that is gathering on the bellhousing? Does the clutch engage and disengage properly?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fluid in the master cylinder needs to be replaced every couple of days. Its been going out pretty quick lately, originally it only needed it every five or six days.

Since the leak *seems* to be occurring by time and not by usage I put a napkin under the master cylinder reservoir to see if anything was coming out of their, I have yet to see a dot of brake fluid.

The fluid on the bell housing smells like brake fluid and is relatively clear. The transmission does engage properly, although this is an original clutch on a 220K vehicle so it takes a bit of space.

Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay just opened up my clutch inspection cover on the bellhousing and brake fluid poured out. Leak found! It must be coming through my slave cylinder, funny I have receipts from the previous owner doing a replacement over one year ago but the slave is covered in rust. :x

And one last question, how worn out is my clutch if I can only see the top of the pressure plate from the inspection port?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.