Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Here is my issue. I purchased a
2000 opel frontera with a MUA5 that originally had a 2.2DTH engine. The transmission front cover was butchered in a previews modification. I want to install a 4J isuzu. What front cover do I need to bolt on to my MUA5?What's
the best engine choice. 4ja1or 4jb1?would appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The only version of the 4jb1 that was sold in North America was a industrial version.
The 2.2dth and 4ja1 was not sold in North America, in any version best I know.
But doing a search and looking at photos I'm concerned that the starter on a 2.2dth and the 4j series are on opposite sides of the engine.
No one's really taking photos with the entent of showing where the starter is on the engine so best to verify from someone from out side North America.
As to the A or B version of the 4J I'd want the 2.8 B version with around 100hp
I personally have a 4JB1-t imported from Japan and it's starter is on the north America drivers side.
The only other thing I know first hand is if my trans went bad. I could sorce a MUA from a gas 3.2 v6 isuzu. And swap the frunt part of my old trans that bolts to the 4J engine on to a replacement from a v6.

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
The only version of the 4jb1 that was sold in North America was a industrial version.
The 2.2dth and 4ja1 was not sold in North America, in any version best I know.
But doing a search and looking at photos I'm concerned that the starter on a 2.2dth and the 4j series are on opposite sides of the engine.
No one's really taking photos with the entent of showing where the starter is on the engine so best to verify from someone from out side North America.
As to the A or B version of the 4J I'd want the 2.8 B version with around 100hp
I personally have a 4JB1-t imported from Japan and it's starter is on the north America drivers side.
The only other thing I know first hand is if my trans went bad. I could sorce a MUA from a gas 3.2 v6 isuzu. And swap the frunt part of my old trans that bolts to the 4J engine on to a replacement from a v6.
4JA1 is 2.5 not 2.2

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
Hello everyone. Here is my issue. I purchased a
2000 opel frontera with a MUA5 that originally had a 2.2DTH engine. The transmission front cover was butchered in a previews modification. I want to install a 4J isuzu. What front cover do I need to bolt on to my MUA5?What's
the best engine choice. 4ja1or 4jb1?would appreciate any help. Thanks.
I would preffer the 4JB over 4JA, but both are good engines. The front bellhousing from any of the older 4J series will work. I think the newer stuff like 4jj1 may be different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your reply. Let's expand a little bit.the car was imported from Italy to The Dominican Republic were there is an abundance of japanese diesel.I'm aware that these engines are not in The US market.since my MUA5 was butchered I just want to get a front cover for my MUA5 and hook it up to a 4jb1T.Is that posible? Lots of good information from you guys. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Let's expand a little bit.the car was imported from Italy to The Dominican Republic were there is an abundance of japanese diesel.I'm aware that these engines are not in The US market.since my MUA5 was butchered I just want to get a front cover for my MUA5 and hook it up to a 4jb1T.Is that posible? Lots of good information from you guys. Thanks again.
Yes, the Isuzu Diesels us the same MUA5 transmission. And yes, the bellhousing swaps over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts