Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 Isuzu amigo 2.6 4wd the body is mostly strait but someone cut fenders on front. I had the transmission out put a new clutch in ,shortly after I had the dreaded transmission to transfer case seal failure as described by isuzumastertech in another thread. I purchased another transmission/v6 engine believing it was out of a 1992 trooper. It has throttle body injection so may not have been. At any rate the transmission shafts were different. My front shaft inner gears ( original transmission) seems to be spaghetti. I am thinking of turning this little guy into a pasture car because the price of another transmission and shipping exceeds the value as far as I can tell. MY question is has anyone ever just welded the front shaft back into place? Would I loose 4th gear? If so I am ok with that only have 1st 2nd and reverse. Ok off to search the calssifieds now
Automotive tire Gas Suspension Coil spring Machine
Bumper Automotive tire Coil spring Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi moderator maybe this should go in the problems section not sure how i got it into classifieds....may be posting stuff for sale on here soon :)

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
I have a 1989 Isuzu amigo 2.6 4wd the body is mostly strait but someone cut fenders on front. I had the transmission out put a new clutch in ,shortly after I had the dreaded transmission to transfer case seal failure as described by isuzumastertech in another thread. I purchased another transmission/v6 engine believing it was out of a 1992 trooper. It has throttle body injection so may not have been. At any rate the transmission shafts were different. My front shaft inner gears ( original transmission) seems to be spaghetti. I am thinking of turning this little guy into a pasture car because the price of another transmission and shipping exceeds the value as far as I can tell. MY question is has anyone ever just welded the front shaft back into place? Would I loose 4th gear? If so I am ok with that only have 1st 2nd and reverse. Ok off to search the calssifieds now
View attachment 120043 View attachment 120044
Are you thinking that shaft is broken? Or what is you issue?

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
Throttle body V-6 means it was a 1989-1991 GM V-6 powered Trooper. The differences between THAT MUA5 and yours are (if I remember correctly), the bell housing, and the input shaft. You might consider offering your un needed parts in the classifieds as there seem to be more looking for that bell housing and input to convert 4 cylinder MUA5s to V6 configuration.
FWIW, the transfer case HALF of the tranny CAN be removed with the tranny still in the vehicle (not to be confused with the automatics which have a completely removable transfer case) Dennis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The inner gears and needle bearings on the inside of input shaft are toast. The outer side of input shaft will still mate up on what I believe to be 4th gear i am considering welding the shaft back into place at that point. The alignment is made by inside tabs so would be cantered for propulsion. Any thoughts on function ability from members would be appreciated...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I figured it out the input shaft has to float ie needle bearings inside would need a bearing instead of solid weld which would keep lay shaft permanent to 4th gear ….need another solution ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts