Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuild or Replace
Rebuild 130K MUA5541.67%
Replace with 230K MUA5758.33%

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, as some of you may know... I just had what is more likely to be the input shaft bearing shear on my 91 Trooper. I had been keeping it in 4th to minimize the wear and the inevitable outcome. So I ask... do I drop and repair this tranny or replace it with one that has been in my donor trooper for about 8 years, sitting? I have yet to pull the transmission, but will begin this weekend, hopefully. The reason I ask, is because I am unaware of any more damage that may have come due to the worn and exploded bearing. This transmission has roughly 130k on it, and the donor truck has 230k.

your thoughts please... considering I value them :D

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'd use the best parts from both to build one good one.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Insert Option C:

Replace with functional 230k Tranny WHILE rebuilding the 130k tranny.

Less down time & once you're done & can do the same to the 230k & fill with oil for storage (spares are nice, or you can sell when $ is tight).

~psguardian

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The only problem with option C is that you may need to find a third transmission for parts. ;)

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Apeiron said:
The only problem with option C is that you may need to find a third transmission for parts. ;)
There's still rebuild kits avail aren't there? (if not then how would anyone replace seals?)

~psguardian

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
regardless, I will pull Friday.. from there, not sure... being the first time at rebuilding a transmission, I lack a bit of courage... mechanically inclined an all, still, I have my V-card when it comes to Transmissions. Trial and error, the outcome of shallow funds is what brought me to do my own work to begin with. Why should this be any different? Suppose I will see what others think, however, the proposition thus far seems worth while.

I know the clutch and TOB have 6K miles at best.. so I guess I could swap these... however, I would be more concerned with the consistancy of the fluids in a Transmission sitting for 8+ years, build up and all....?...

cheers
-Ian

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
psguardian said:
Insert Option C:

Replace with functional 230k Tranny WHILE rebuilding the 130k tranny.

Less down time & once you're done & can do the same to the 230k & fill with oil for storage (spares are nice, or you can sell when $ is tight).

~psguardian
Down time is not the issue.. I have the 89 running like a tack... between the three trucks, I have three MUA5's. I have offered the one from the donor troop several times for free in the classifieds, and am glad to know, nobody has taken me up on it... that being said... 91, 91(donor) and 89 is what I am working with... say I toss the MUA5 from the donor in 91, pull the 89 and rebuild from best parts between 89 and 91... then swap with 91 (originally donor (rebuilt) MUA5)?... yeah...?..

ps, $ is always tight my friend....

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
imamonstertruck said:
...ps, $ is always tight my friend....

cheers
-Ian
I hear that one. Every time the wife goes into the garage & sees my 4ze1 sitting on the stand she glares at me subconsciously lol.

~psguardian

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I have a brand new OEM Input bearing I bought from Jerry a while back - I'll gladly sell it at a discounted rate from jerry's already discounted rate if you want. It's the huge one on the main shaft. I ended up not needing it...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
psguardian said:
Apeiron said:
There's still rebuild kits avail aren't there? (if not then how would anyone replace seals?)
Soft parts and bearings aren't a problem, but hard parts are harder to find.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Apeiron said:
psguardian said:
Apeiron said:
Soft parts and bearings aren't a problem, but hard parts are harder to find.
Ahh. Heres to hoping the gears & shafts are still strait.

~psguardian

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
No load through the countershaft in 4th gear in most transmissions.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:banghead: it is amazing, the things that slip your mind, like, hey, I am going to swap this transmission with another from another truck... hey!.. how did that 3.4 liter engine get in there? :oops: this kind of changes things... I am not cutting the bell housing on the donor tranny... nope. what to do now?.... thoughts?...

cheers
-Ian

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yesterday, I aquired one hell of a sunburn so as you would imagine, rolling around on the garage floor was just awesome not to mention the pumice soap on my arms... ouch'o :shock: . I almost have this sucker pulled. The four top bolts remain, and I need to get cleaned up and head to a party. I will hit it in the morning and have this thing pulled! :D

And, I have been thinking.. considering most of the cost of getting a shop to do what I need done, has been heavily reduced by me pulling the transmission myself... I think I will tote it to a shop and have it rebuilt... I have never rebuilt a transmission or an engine before, so I would feel more comfortable having it rebuilt by someone that earns a living doing so. I have a few people in mind that I know and trust to do the job.
I will keep you guys posted.

cheers
-Ian

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got it pulled. Had to get a come a long attatched to the rear end and transfer case to pull it out... Now to figure out what is next. I have a guy who may have a manual for the MUA5. If so, I will scan it and decide iris oils tackle the rebuild myself.

Cheers
-ian

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.