Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the clutch replacement on the homepage is an excelent writeup.

i figure i'll introduce myself by adding a few more pics for the process.
btw, this is a '90 pup, and yes, i'll be at URE (if she don't break at DPG)

i'm actually in the process of swapping out the tranny since 1st and 2nd gears are no-shows.

tranny out:

the fingers on the old one are pretty worn down. i'm glad i got the complete kit.
the new napa clutch plate has a bluish sheen to it. probably due to cobalt.
comparing old and new clutches:

the napa clutch plate did not have a "this side flywheel" marking but the old one did. the thinner side goes to the flywheel.
here is a pic of the alignment tool for the clutch plate:

after sticking everything in, here it is fully installed:

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I bet I know what's wrong with your manual tranny. I fixed one with sympotms just like yours. All it took was about 4 hours of labor and a 1-2 shift fork.

Joe

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think the guy i bought it from said he had it checked out. he said i needed a new transmission or rebuild.

i was working on the worst case scenario on the tranny when i found an 88 trooper in the local junkyard. junk yard charged me for the transmission only instead of bellhousing+tranny+t-case.

at least now, i can have a backup transmission. (like i'd need it.)

i'll look into getting the old one fixed after awhile. probably throw in some teralows while its apart. right now, i'm busy getting this rig ready for her first ride.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSO, NC.
with URE being so close, i'm going for the season pass.

question for the board:
which class of hardware do i use for transmission mounts and for the drive shafts?

i've got the sizes down to M10x1.25x45 and 35 respectively. (i could be off)

got a few stripped pieces and a few that weren't there to begin with. i don't want my newly installed transmission falling out while i'm climbing some rocks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hey Joe,
I see those wheels turnin' in your head....if a wrench-meet comes to pass in GSO, let me know, I can prolly come too :)

Oh, I also have a trannie lift for a floor jack :eek:

Cheers,

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of just not tossing the tranny and maybe bringing it to Uwharrie. I could possibly fix it for someone else.

The wrenching session, Jeez I have much wrenching to do just to be able to have 4wd. As it stands I am 4.77 in the rear and 4.10 in the front.

But, hopefully by Sunday I'll be ARB'ed 4.77'ed front. Along with the diff drops installed.

Joe

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LTC Don said:
Hey Joe,
I see those wheels turnin' in your head....if a wrench-meet comes to pass in GSO, let me know, I can prolly come too :)

Oh, I also have a trannie lift for a floor jack :eek:

Cheers,
if you're in GSO, can i borrow the tranny jack for a night? :lol: it'll save me the $150 at harbor freight for a "one time use" tool.
i'll buy food and drinks. (i like keagan's)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, i broke down and bought a tranny jack ([email protected] freight)
unfortunatly, it broke
fortunatly, it held together long enough for us to put the tranny in
i'm returning the POS tomorrow for a refund (or store credit)

now, i just have to put the drive shafts back on. (and change fluids)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.